How to Start a Duck Farm
Poultry is a very popular source of income on the farm as the demand for eggs and poultry's meat keeps on rising. From the remote area of a farm down to the crowded city, the need for the poultry's output is very much high indeed.
Poultry doesn't refer only to chicken-raising but also to duck-raising as well. Ducks' eggs are in high demand most especially for those health-conscious people.
They prefer duck eggs rather than the chicken for it contains more nutrients than the later.
To have a productive and successful duck farm you need to know the proper way of rearing ducks. You must know the basics of proper feeding, duck breeding, etc.
Start them, Young
It is advisable to start rearing a duckling as it is easier to handle than to have them as grown-up ducks. Grown-up ducks are noticeably resistant to the ducklings.
Build a Coop that is Conducive to Growth
Make your coop not smaller than 3.5 to 4 sq. ft for every duck as this will give enough space for the ducks to move freely. As they grow, they need more space, so better plan to build a shelter that will not hinder their movement as they are growing. Maintain enough ducks in a coop as this will reflect good output during the harvest time.
Feeding the Ducks
Have their foods wet rather than dry to make them eat more. Ducks love wet food and this affects their eggs, making them bigger and even heavier. Seafood like shrimps, fish, clamps, shells, etc. are the common and very nutritious food for ducks, however, if these are not available, you may give them a combination of feeds and chicken laying mass. To increase their egg production, give your egg-laying ducks supplementary feed.
Some alternative feeds for ducks:
- Banana Peelings – Instead of throwing it, have it dried under the sun and powder it by crushing as this is the best source of protein to help your ducks grow faster than usual. Based on researches, banana peelings contain more fibers, fats, and calcium but less phosphorus compare to rice bran.
- Sweet Potatoes and Cassava – If your farm has plenty of these, feed it to your ducks! Have it dried under the sun and pulverized. As researches show that ducks fed with this food are laying eggs more compared to those ducks which are only fed by corn.
- Seaweeds – This may cost you little if your farm is near the sea. Researches show that ducks fed with half rice bran and half seaweeds laid more eggs than those ducks which are fed by pure rice bran.
Additional Tip: have your duck farm with plenty of water for your ducks to swim into as this will affect their egg-laying productivity. Prove it to yourself, and see the difference!
Q. What are the various types of duck available in the market for farming?
A. Different breeds available in the market are Rouen duck, Pekin, Mandarin duck, wood duck, etc.
Q. What breed of duck is best for eggs?
A. White Pekin duck is best for eggs.
- Tips to Build Chicken Pens
If you are looking for the best way to get your chickens laid healthy and good eggs on a regular basis, you must invest and build the best chicken pens for them. Building chicken pens can definitely give you a lot of eggs regularly especially if you need this for your business.
- How much it Costs to Raise Chickens
If you want to raise chickens for a business, you should determine first the cost of raising chickens before starting the business. There are few things that you should consider so you must be aware of these things too in order for you to success.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
Startup Biz Hub - Advisor (Staff)
1. What should be the breed?
2. What is the estimated cost of 1000 ducks?
3. What is the estimated cost of feed for 1000 ducks daily?
4. what are the other necessary tools regarding this?
Waiting for your response.