USDA Import Permit

The United States, in its goal to protect itself from being infected by agricultural diseases that is bad for its economy and health of its people, created the need for USDA Import Permit.

For people who want to import agricultural specimens, the permit can easily be secured through these tips.

In ensuring that no exotic plants, animals and poultry diseases enter the territory of United States, the United States Department of Agriculture, along with agencies like Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and Veterinary Services (VS) regulates the importation of any agriculture specimens in the country. USDA import permit then is necessary for anyone who wants to import any agricultural specimens.

For those who need and want to import plants and animals in the United States, the question is how one can avail of USDA Import Permit. Below are some instructions and tips on how one can get a USDA Import Permit as easily as possible. Since there are basically many forms of agricultural specimens that can be imported, example forms here for specific purposes as stated.

Fill Out Forms for USDA Import Permit

Since USDA Import Permit entails application, it is obvious that one has to fill out forms so that the United States Department of Agriculture can process them. For those who want to import mostly seeds and bare root plants, PPQ form 587 is appropriate. This form is applicable for plants and its parts that will be imported without soil. The processing time for this permit usually takes two to three weeks. You can check out the site of APHIS for more information.

Site Information for USDA Import Permit

Instead of going straight to the Department of Agriculture to check what kinds of agricultural specimens you can import, you can do this right at the comfort of your homes. You can go online and check APHIS site as aforementioned in this article. The site there has an FAQ so usual question regarding USDA Import Permit are provided with quick answers. There are many specific choices too to facilitate easy understanding of what specimens you are in need of USDA Import Permit. For example if you need to import bulbs, you can easily navigate through the site by clicking ‘Importation of Bulbs.’ (Though, the link there does not prescribed any permit for bulbs in general.)

Dispensing Phytosanitary Permit to Get USDA Import Permit

It used to be that there is a phytosanitary permit to get an USDA Import Permit. But makes a lot of hassle for those who want to import plants and thus discourages the applicant to secure permit. The USDA scrapped this permit so applicants will be encouraged to seek USDA Import Permit. For you this is good since there is one task taken from the list of how to get USDA Import Permit.


  • larry liu said on January 22, 2011
    I am a dealer of farm seed, may I import vegetable from china?
  • juan matias said on February 10, 2011
    I want to import vegetables from dominican republic. what permit I need from usda
  • Manohar said on May 25, 2011
    I want to import fruit plants (ex: different types of mangoes, guava....) from India to Arizona. This is for personal and not commercial. What kind of permit(s) do I need?
  • Dilworth Roland said on August 28, 2011
    I would like to import Farm food from JAMAICA such as: Banana Potato, yam carrot Sorril Mango and a lot more fruit, vegetable and food to start a Carribean food store in Chicago ILLINOIS USA. What kind of permit(s)do I need.
  • Emma Onwualu said on January 17, 2012
    I want to import parent stock of livestocks from Holand.I live in Anambra state of Nigeria.Kindly advice on the regulations and protocols involved. Thanks
  • Leon said on March 28, 2013
    My business located in Phuc loc Tho mall Wesminter CA. We have imported vitamin product from Australia, all FDA documents Required had been approved. The only document we need is USDA permit. Pls help me how to apply this permit! How long does this take! Is any USDA agencies/ office around my area! Thanks regards Leon Shuy Au, My contact is 714 4504 8683
  • george malange said on June 22, 2013
    my name is george malange company owner registered with all certificate, located in Benoni east Rand of Ekhuruleni metropolitan ,south africa ,contact 0763694215 24/7 i got import and export license for global and local, i need to partnership or agent to do import and export in his or her products. my com


    (All the above fields are required.)