Starting a Government Contracting Business
If you want to start a government contracting business, you have to possess the enough knowledge, skills, and experience. It is vital that you know the process on how to get government contracts.
You can begin locally and as your business grows, you can now opt for the national level. Establish local contacts and network to ensure success.
Starting a Government Contracting Business
One of the most lucrative businesses that you can be involved in today is government contracting. You can earn considerable money once you become a contractor. However, you need to be aware that this type of business is different from B2B selling. You will encounter slower sales cycles and a certain process should be followed. If you want to get large contracts, you should be hard working, patient, and you should invest time, effort, and money. You can start with local sales by dealing with the county government, town, or city. You can contract sewer and water commissions, education boards, and parking bureaus.
It is important that you do business with local and small companies. You need to identify your clients. For instance, you should pick at least 3 government agencies that you can to work with. Identify the needs of these agencies by reading newspapers and library materials. You have to provide a solution to the problems of these agencies. Keep in mind that you will be making Request Proposals, so you need to gather relevant knowledge on how contact the concerned individual or department. The agencies are required to get bids from various contractors and they will pick the top three. The one that offers the lowest bid will be handpicked by the agency.
When deciding on your bid price, you have to ensure that you’re still going to earn revenue despite the low price. Once the bid is accepted, you won’t be allowed to make changes. Make use of the right marketing and sales strategy. You can contact the concerned agencies by phone and get appointments. On the first meeting, you should provide basic info about your business, your services, and abilities. Don’t forget to do some follow ups to make sure that the agency will not forget you.
Networking is very important. You need to establish contacts with council persons, politicians, and other agencies. It is important that you get in touch with these people. You can also consult with the local chamber commerce and be professional in all your dealings. You should be able to show professionalism and competence. You have to ensure that all your clients are satisfied with your services. Through positive word of mouth, you can get more projects in the future. Make sure that you also get license because without this, you won’t be able to get government contracts. This is serious business and you should possess the right skills, knowledge, and experience.
- I am very interested in this kind of business, contracting government and private company tenders. Pls give me some advice on how to start.
- I Want to start a small business for stationary. can you tell me how to start and whom to contact. Thanks & regards, shyam
- i want to start a small business for stationary. please tell me how to start and whom to contact. thank you
- I am interested to know how to start a Government Contracting Business.
- I was an employee of the government. I worked in finance and payroll for military, civilian, and commercial accounts. I am familiar with the operations of procurement and the shipping and receiving reports. I had the opportunity to assist a private owner with his business bidding on government contracts. I want to pursue this business. Can you give me some pointers for getting started and financial resources? I would like the information for a business plan. I would appreciate any information you can provide me with.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides