Open Your Own Head Shop
Are you the type of person who loves to invest in strange ventures? Well, why don’t you open your own head shop?
Head shops today are quite controversial and some local groups are against it; still, if you think you can run the shop well and you have enough customers to make a living, this may be a lucrative venture.
What is a Head Shop?
Some people are still not familiar with head shops. The shops specialize in drug paraphernalia which are related to recreational drugs, counterculture art, cannabis, home decor, clothing, music, and magazines. The shop can sell items like bongs, glass pipes, roach clips, vaporizers, pipe screens, rolling machines, rolling papers, balances or scales, whipped cream chargers, incense, black-light responsive posters, and cigarette lighters.
The first head shops started way back in the 1960’s. The shops were located in major cities where there is high concentration of youths. You need to be prepared since the popularity of these shops diminished considerably with the aging generation of baby boomers. Your primary competitors would be stores offering related but eco-friendly products and alternative music.
Legality Issues for Starting Head Shop
If you live in the United States, most head shops are located in legal grey areas. You see, the store can cater to legal and illegal drugs. In some states, some drug paraphernalia are illegal while in others, it’s fine. Still, most shops argue that the drug paraphernalia they sell are legal and are intended for tobacco, herbal highs, and legal substances.
Back in the 80s, there was a nationwide movement to ban all head shops that were located near supermarkets and schools. Concerned parents were the ones who conducted the movement. Because of this, a law was passed to prohibit head shops from selling any kind of paraphernalia to minors in California. The law was able to decrease the shops.
The popularity of head shops improved by the year 2000 with the passage of a law regarding medicinal marijuana; you will also see signs on the shops about the use of the products bought by customers. In the case of online head shops, the customers will need to comply with the very strict disclaimers before they can shop for the items.
Now that you know that head shops are indeed legal, you will need to decide where to hold your place of business. The location is vital and you need to consult the concerned local state or government office. Are you going to rent/lease or purchase the location and building? This is a matter of personal choice and it will depend on your capital investment. Another thing to consider is the supplier of the paraphernalia. Make sure that you purchase from reputable and legal suppliers so that you won’t violate any law. Extra care is needed in this kind of business.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
Shop Business Ideas
- Starting a Pawn Shop Business
- How to Start Auto Body Shop?
- How to Start a Meat Shop?
- How to Start a Donut Shop
- How to Open a Sandwich Shop
Store Business Opportunities
- Starting a Grocery Store Business
- Starting a Fashion Clothing Store
- How to Open a Liquor Store
- How to Start a Drug Store Business
- How to Start a Hardware Store