Starting a Woodworking Business
Use your woodworking skills and start a lucrative business. This business is an enjoyable way to make money. This article also offers tips on starting and running a woodworking business.
The woodworking business is ideal for people who love doing handcrafted woodwork for a hobby.
There are a lot of highly marketable products nowadays that make use of woodworking techniques. Furniture is a fine example and hand-made wooden toys are becoming a market favorite.
If you are looking for business opportunities and you possess woodworking skills and talent, then I suggest you explore this industry.
Starting a woodworking business can be simple as long as you are armed with sufficient knowledge. Here are some pointers that may guide you as you embark on starting your own woodworking company.
- First, figure out what kind of items you want to specialize in i.e. home décor, furniture, toys, etc. The supplies and equipment you invest in will rely primarily on the products you plan to produce.
- Second, look for a good supplier for your wood and equipment needs. Make sure the supplier you choose will give you the best value for money deal. Naturally, you know better than procure sub-standard materials. Doing so will vastly affect the quality of your products and quality is one of the selling points in this business. Typically, you will need to buy clamps, a square, saws, tape measure, hammers, hand drills, and chisels.
- Third, look for space where you can work. If your operation is a small one, your garage or home workshop will do just fine. However, if you plan to launch a big business, then you will need to rent space where you and your craftsmen can manufacture your merchandise. The additional cost for rent and utilities should be computed and used as a consideration when making your price scheme.
- Fourth, identify your target market and develop a promotional campaign tailor-fit to suit them. There are a lot of ways you can advertise your merchandise. You can post adverts on the internet, or on local bulletin boards, on trade magazines, etc. The key is to establish your business in the arena and introduce your name to the market.
- Fifth, look for a plausible sales channel. A website is a good option because it enables you to reach a wider market. If possible, equip your website with e-commerce capability. Aside from this, you can also participate in trade shows, arts & crafts fairs, and flea markets, and so on.
- Sixth, expound, explore, and discover. Take a look at the trends. Take a look at your competition. Make it a point that your products are better than theirs are. Don’t hamper your creativity and imagination. The best way to establish a niche market is to develop product designs that are uniquely yours. Remember to have these designs copyrighted so nobody else can use them.
- Seventh, in manufacturing your products, make sure you and your workers adhere to safety rules. You will be using sharp tools like knives and chisels so to avoid accidents and mishaps, always practice caution.
- Eight, put your customers first, always. The success of a business doesn’t only depend on the number of customers you entice to your store. What matters is the number of customers you retain. Keep them coming back by giving them the royal treatment.
Spend 12 minutes to Watch the Video and learn all About Wood, Crafting, Painting, Finishing and Running this Business
- Open a Wood Carving Business
Starting a wood carving business is quite easy if you already have the skills to carve wood and turn it into different works of art. Find a shop location today.
- How to Start a Hardwood Floor Installation Business
Are you planning to put up a hardwood floor installation business? Let us give you some tips on how you can pursue this business venture and avoid the traps that can make your startup business falter.
- I enjoy every bit of this article and am still longing to receive more. I am a nigerian who is knowledgeable about woodworking but need more training to upgrade myself. I believe you will be of help. Thanks, Tunde
- I know wood work but i am not a good customer person. I need some item people need every day and I don't have to beg them to buy. ha ha...
- I have had an idea of a woodworking business for several years. I've been in the woodworking for over 25 years. There is not a single piece of wood I don't know. The problem is that I don't have good credit. Actually I don't have any credit. Any suggestions.
- hi, i have been making log furniture for the better part of 20 years mainly for family and friends although i have sold some to its time to make a living at this. my job as a logger is slowly coming to an end. so making more log furniture sounds good to me. i love working with wood. i'm forth gen wood worker, i know my wood i make a high Quality product that's not the problem. cash flow is slow. where, who, how to raise the cash needed to grow i live on Vancouver, Canada. any ideas help me.
- I work as a bookkeeper for a manufacturing company in Zimbabwe. I love carpentry very much and have enjoyed it as a hobby for quite sometime but, I now need to turn my hobby commercial and am looking for furniture making software and designs from other countries. Replies sent them to my email address email@example.com. I would be grateful if you respond.
- Have been a woodworker/furniture-maker/woodcarver for 23 years, don't do it anymore as I found that getting to the proper clientele is very difficult and time consuming. If you are not in a real niche and have lots of passive income in the beginning, ( or a spouse that makes great $$$), don't think of making furniture for a living, it's very difficult, as most people cannot/will not afford you, and you will go broke in the process of trying to find your niche and clientele who will actually pay for quality work.
- Would like to open up a workshop but do not know how much i need to open it. Please help and send me some guideline. reach me at CORNERSTONE DEVELOPMENT UGANDA PO.BOX 9242,KAMPALA. MB +256777203103,+256701203103
- I'm young 15 years old I've got the tools for detailed carpentry such as scroll saw, band saw, lathe drill press, belt disk sander, and many hand tools. I only have 4 years experience but do pretty good work. I am looking 2 start selling my work on eBay and start advertising but I'm not sure about paying in taxes. I live in Canada. I also sell a bit of work but not much to a small shop. I'm not sure if people would think I'm in experienced or in mature though cause I am 15.
- If your looking to start a business we may be able to offer cheap repossession machines and with the possibility of finance. Starting a business is never easy with machinery key to your daily production we can offer machines at affordable costs mostly 1-3 years old. If your looking for a moulder we have a Weinig Unimat 300 a 2007 model at only £13K. Good Luck to all new businesses.
- We are in an NGO providing technology support on livelihood in the relocation. I need sample budget cost of establishing one WW shop with machinery/equipment to install but don't have any idea. As start up simple machines will do. Our primary market is in the relocation also and next others. Pls. help me, send sample study. God bless!
- i studied woodwork for 5 years at secondary school. i thought it was just one of those things but i have now realized that was not the case. i have all the ideas and am left with implementing or making ideas into reality. kindly help out in any way possible to make this a reality. HARDNUTS limited PO BOX 28039 PARKLANDS, KITWE, ZAMBIA.+260977795072
- I am planning to start a wood workshop and i have some credit that much enough to start it,but where am i lacking is how to start.and am sure i will find a way. that much confidence i have.my worry is my survive in this field which i am not familiar.
- I am in Sidney Montana USA. I am wanting to start producing rustic handmade furniture for a living. I have been doing woodworking for most of my life and actually made commercial wood furniture for other manufacturers for a while. Encouragement from friends and perfect strangers that like my work has given me incentive to take the next steps. I need help with Marketing and possibly financing an inventory. I would like to produce a variety of things from yardwares to fine furniture.
- Buy my 35 year business for the value of the equipment. It will earn you a minimum of 30M a year as is. You can build it up. This is a great opportunity for some one. It is located in San Fernando Valley, CA. Contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hey this is me again. I am retiring in Winchester, Tennessee. This is where you will find my phone number to contact me. Don't let this opportunity slip away. Established customers already. All you have to do is get out the work while you build up the business.
- We are into Model Carving,we are been carving ships, airplanes,Cars, architectural design for over 12 years.And most of our product are good for museum or a gift for a retire captain or ship owner.we need help for exposure.we base in Tema Accra Ghana.contact us on email:email@example.com
- I am a local carpenter doing carpentry work for local household as well as statutory board carpentry work. I'm in this line for the past ten years seeking opportunity to work with foreign expatriate who living in local. Excellent with trade records and good will in services. Can contact through this email address to seek for an advise.
- hi, I am interested in furniture business. how to develop my business and what kind of tools we want and where getting the professional employes.
- i'm a qualified joiner from harare in zimbabwel. m good at joinery and woodwork but bad at marketing strategy can anyone pliz tel me how best 2 go about it
- I have been doing in the carpentry industry for the past 8years,and I am based in Johannesburg.For the past year and a half I have been self employed and have been doing jobs for individual clients and subcontracting for property developing companies in the CBD.I have come to a point whereby I need to move to the next level.I have so far managed to buy my own power tools, a PC and printer,website,refs and have done almost everything to stay in the race.Could someone out there please help me with marketing,contracts or anything wayward in my career.
- I am a local carpenter doing carpentry work for local household cabbinates and shop decoration carpentry work. I'm in this line for the past ten years. but this time my work is very slow i want someone advise me how i catch contract on the net my e mail ..firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hi,i m in Pretoria,Gauteng(South Africa)and manufacturing wooden caskets,coffins and domes.I m struggling with marketing.Any undertaker anywhere can contact me on 0842964273(email@example.com)for order and for more information
- help me to buy a sawmill at a cheaper price. where can I get it. I need a petrol portable sawmill.
- I have a full fledged wood working machinery installed in jammu city J&K State. Of course it was going on well, with no liabilities of any sort. I don't have anybody to look after my woodworking business as i also cannot devote sufficient time to it ever since i was operated upon and also because of my prevailing ill health. Instead of going from building to building for fixing of joinery, I would like to go for the manufacture of some wooden items which i could sell in the market easily. I would request for your valuable suggestions at an earliest. if need be franchise, partnership or other such issues may also be suggested
- I found your hints on how to start a woodworking business very interesting and helpful. I am seriously thinking of starting up a medium-scale carpentry business. But the problem I have is where to get woodworking equipment, such as for planing, moulding, morticing, etc, which will suit my scale of business. Can you help with info on where I can source good equipment in South Africa? I live in Lusaka, Zambia.
- I had a woodworking business for 5 years. But I stopped for an unsure purpose trying to venture other nice business. My furniture shop's operation has been suspended for more than 2 years now. I am planning to resume my wood working business. I'm a woman but I have seen lucrative gain in this business and I am always thrilled with wood works. Please help me reassemble my shattered vision on how to restart my business in a more modern but not complicated manner. I have the means. I still have my old equipments and tools. But I want my works now to be more updated and modern. Thank you.
- I would like to find out in Accra/Ghana which store are selling tools, pliers, hammer, saw and be on! Also like to receive address and telephone numbers and possibly Internet site where I can see the products as well the prices! I sure could not find any and surly many would be interested not only to see it but if they would know also would buy products! George
- What is the startup costs for making kitchen tables and chairs. Where can I get the cheapest machines. Thank you
- i've been doing woodworking from high school even have a certificate for woodworking, i am now looking for more experience so i can open my own workshop, where can i get that around johannesburg ?
- I want to start a wood working business specially upholstery ,tables ,chairs etc in Addis Ababa ,Ethiopia. Would you give me hint and addresses to contact how to work the business plan and etc
- I have no experience in wood working per say but I have a good eye and a passion for designing and having custom furniture made. I want to develop this passion further by starting a woodworking- furniture business which i hope to expand into large scale manufacturing of all sorts of furniture and accessories. I am still at the point of gathering info and trying to set up something small but any adviser is very welcome!
- I need some woodworking machines to enhance my business
- i am a furniture designer(10 yrs experience) and i want to start a business related to woodwork. cay you provide me some ample ideas thank you in advance.
- Am a Storage Technologist from a Stardand n formidable University in Nigeria i also attend a Technical School where i just graduated from Carpentry and Jionery Department am now ready to exploit my skill in a commercial woodworking industry please how would i start and cope with my little capital.
- I was a furniture maker before, but i left it for roofing, and i would like to go back, can i start it at my house?
- Philippines. hi i just want to ask some advice on how to have good costing if i start selling furniture that made up of wood. because my father is the one who know how to make wood works but he dont know how to have a proper costing that can gain profit ..
- hi we have a wooden manufacturing industry we wana explore that plz suggest me my id firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yes I'm one of those guys who makes furniture out of reclaimed material and looking to start my own business but have bad credit and allot of talent with wood I know there is a market for it . Can you help Masai Schenectady NY thanks
- I like to start a wood working unit ( Packing case) at Kerala, India, So kindly send me more details
- 25 years in the custom woodworking and I want to open a workshop but I don't know how to take care of the front and end of the business. Any advices ?
- Yes can you get back to me I am # 38 on your list I am really looking forward to your advise .Its a pleasure talking to you thanks Masai !! . Schenectady NY United States
- Here we have sawmill factory with a big space that is able to keep few hundred tons of logs and sawntimber. We have big chain saw ready and sawn timber saw ready. We have been running the business for over 40 years. We would like rent out the sawn timber facilities, as most of the senior persons in the family are retired. Malaysia, Penang, Bukit Minyak. Please contact me thru my email. YangHanZhen@gmail.com
- I'V JUST STATED MY WOODED WORKSHOP, I PROVIDE CRECHES WITH TOYS & FURNITURE. IS HARD TO PUT MY HEAD AROUND IT, BUT I LOVE MY WORK.
- I Try to Start wood workshop as furniture etc, but i am lack of employers and machinery i dont have that much experience in carpentry workshop . i'm located in UAE, Dubai so if anyone interested in this offer please email me back . Saeedsaqer@hotmail.com
- Hi we have wooden furniture best quality, & we have best Indian royal designs but I need UAE customer. & partners. If u want my products ! Please contact me...my email id: email@example.com
- Hi i have been working with wood since my school days and even have a tertiary qualification. I'm very very passionate about wood. I now want to start my biz, is there some other tips which can come handy coz i got some of the portable electrical tools to kick start with.
- Yes I was looking for your advise on starting a furniture business using reclaimed material I am # 38 on your list can you please get back to me .thanks
- My shop will be located in Wauseon, Ohio 43567, United States. Need information on start up funding any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been working with wood since I was 12 years old making furniture and other items out of wood runs in my blood. I have a passion for turning my hobby into a business so I can pass it onto my three boys. Thank you for reading
- hi, I Try to Start wood workshop as furniture and accessories. actually i don't know anything wood working , but i love this industry. how to start a business, workshop requirements, electrical tools, how to require employees, approximately investment cost. please advise me.
- I'm 18 and out of Ohio. woodworking is my passion and I love it to death. I am graduating this year and I've been the best woodworker of my school for four years. all I can think about is wood. my girlfriend actually gets mad at me for talking about it so much. I have posted an ad for my work on craigslist and it has brought me some work so far. I love to make decorative mirrors and boxes. actually, I love making anything out of wood. my two closest friends work with me but they don't invest into the company. we are currently working on a very small, cheap bed and i'm getting paid tomorrow for it. the only thing I need now is to expand my company to a larger customer base. I have a lot of friends and so far, they've been the base of my work because I tell them to promote me by mouth. after all, I bet you'ld believe someone about a company that does good work if they were recommended personally.
- Hi i have been working with wood since my school days. i'm very creative with wood work. i now want to start my biz, is there someone who can help me with marketing. i have the some tools to start up. pliz help me. i'm staying in SOUTH AFRICA
- Yes I made a few post on this site I build furniture out of reclaimed material and looking to make a business out of it I have tools all I need is your advise you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org thanks From Schenectady NY
- Hi friends i am NAGARAJAN... i am carpenter work... ex:interior designer, showcase, modular kitchen, bedroom, dressing tables, doors, windows, any alteration and etc... u say sir or madam... always technical works... call to 9894205544, 8344836428.. email id: email@example.com... i am working places: all over tamilnadu.... specialy salem, chennai, coimbatore, tiruchy, and etc... thank u...
- dear friends welcome to my interior & exterior company i have lots of people utilize my strength i am doing all kinds of works modular kitchen showcase bedroom designing doors windows dressing table ward-robe acp office interiors and technical different type designs contact 9884414190-email -firstname.lastname@example.org chennai thirumazhisai600124
- i am from kalpakkam kanchipura m district. i would like to start a sawmill i am not having any forest license how to get that and i want machines. please tell me the steps and ideas and beginning procedures -contact.9944002824-9962007428
- I am in south Africa, and am in furniture business, knows all in & about furniture, BIC cabinet, bars, shopfitting, decking, ceiling etc. I need a partner with a potential to help me take my business to greater heights, I am hardworking somebody, if you are interested you can call me 0787303733 or email; email@example.com. local or international all welcome. thanks phillipe
- I am in India, and I am making and supplying beehives and I want to increase this business at industrial level. but I don't have any idea about the machinery for this industry like what type of machines are required to keep my work faster. Please advice me.
- I have iron wood to sell. truck loads. selling business please contact jp at firstname.lastname@example.org
- i do not yet have workshop but i do very..v..v nice design and i go to bali indonasia to make it and sell it in my country
- I am based in South Africa with knowledge of Shopfitting, joinery and furniture in terms of procurement, basic machining, assembly, also have sound knowledge of reading drawings and estimating. I am open to all business proposals. You might be wanting to import material from my country, or you might need a partner. Contact me with your proposal. My contact details are email@example.com
- Hi, i live in Limpopo, South Africa, i want to start my own woodworking business and need a lot of guidance and if possible a financial partner, i'm still in the planning phase so dont have much on paper yet. Please e-mail me if you can help in anyway even with advise only. Thank you. CP. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gauteng johannesburg. Wood and furniture and shopfitting. Polisher spraypainter, Johannesburg, South Africa. Contact 0781332259. I'm looking for a partner or investor. I'm well none by big companies government sector. A skill provider to seta. Member of DPSA skill provider for disable people. With many clients and customers. Give me a call for more info and my profile. Tired been use by friends and people. I got 3 projects in mind to start. Private Sector. Government Sector. Business sector. Please phone me
- i want to start a fisheri farm in chennai , for that whom i have contact and is their any bank loan scheme available...
- i'm a 25 yr old qualified carpenter n joiner i want to start a small carpentry business or a workshop but i have no idea were to start may be someone can help me do this
- i'm doing ceilling designs . roofing . wood floor build ins . eg kitchens doors beds carbods and many more
- Hello All, I'm Suresh from Chennai,India. I deal with furniture imports and exports. We have our own manufacturing units and open for any new business worldwide. Contact me with proposals @ email@example.com
- assist my carpentry business in namibia call 0813944876
- I started furniture business since 1993 in kano city, Nigeria. Now I concentrated mainly in school furniture as my contribution to the development of education in my country. how can I be assisted to expand my work to touch the less privileged in other parts of the country. 002348087826363 is my phone number.
- Hi I'm fannie mavuso I need to start my business but the thing is I have no tools and materials can you please help me with a finding u can contact me to this number 0846707702
- Hi all am Bill from Kenya am a carpenter by profession am looking forward for a well established furniture shop to offer my services here are my contact; firstname.lastname@example.org or+254791787243
- Hi. I'm currently doing wood working as a hobby. I've got most of the needed equipment to finish projects. Also I have a medium skill level.Materials is easily obtainable. What I'm searching for is ways to sell the projects that I take on and develop it into a small business. Nigel from Cape Town, South Africa
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
- Starting a Funeral Home Business
- Ideas for Home Based Business
- How to Start a Home Baking Business?
- Starting a Home Health Agency
- How to Start a Hair Extension Business?
- Starting Home Sewing and Embroidery Business
- Start a Home-based CAD Drafting Business
- Start Your Own Homemade Preserves and Pickle Business