Starting a Pet Store Business
Part of the business responsibilities of a pet store owner is to see to it that the animals in his or her store are humanely treated. Listed here are some suggestions to ensure that pet shop animals are properly cared for.
A pet store can prove to be a lucrative business if managed properly.
It can also be a fun and fulfilling career especially for those who have an innate kinship with animals.
There is just something about pets that never fails to put a smile on our faces. Most of us regard our pets as a member of the family. We tend to dote on them as if they were our own children. And because of this, pet shops are in demand these days. Often, we browse through pet shops to splurge on treats and toys and other knick-knacks for our beloved companions.
A pet shop adheres to the principles of retail management. If you are planning to start your own pet shop then it is a must for you to learn and understand the basic concepts of retailing. You can find various sources of information for this subject. The internet alone has several websites catering to business management. You can also read books or instructional CDs. Look for something that help you learn how to create a business plan, launch your business, look for a location, set up your store and allocate space, establish your inventory, determine your pricing scheme, manage your finances, devise an operations plan, handle your manpower requirements and so on.
The pet shop owner has other responsibilities, among them are as follows: A pet shop owner should educate his or her customers on responsible ownership. A pet shop owner ensures that when buying a pet, his or her customers do so based on an informed decision. Most importantly, a pet shop owner knows the proper way to care for and handle enclosed animals. This is one aspect that sets a pet shop owner apart from other retailers. This responsibility should not be taken lightly. Ensuring the animals wellbeing should rank high in a pet shop owner’s list of priorities.
- Your pet shop should maintain the following conditions to promote your animals’ wellbeing:
- Animal cages and fish tanks should be adequately spaced (at least one meter apart). This is to allow easy cleaning. Do not stack them for more than two levels per row and make sure that no food and waste fall to the cages or tanks underneath.
- Before selling an animal, give it the chance to rest for at least 72 hours.
- Don’t keep incompatible animal breeds in one cage and make sure that cages of incompatible animal breeds are not placed in close proximity to one another.
- Facilitate toilet training by placing urine liners or newspapers in their cages.
- Feed your animals with the appropriate type and amount of food. Make certain they have access to clean drinking water at all times.
- Give your animals adequate time to exercise and have them interact with humans to keep them stimulated.
- The animal display area should have proper and sufficient ventilation to ensure that air is kept fresh and clean at all times.
- The cages should be made of sturdy corrosion-resistant, easy to clean, and non-toxic material, i.e. stainless steel or aluminum.
- The general area should be kept unsoiled and dry at all times.
- When appropriate, provide nest boxes, towels, and beddings, to ensure that your animals are comfortable.
- You should have a wash area on the premises.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
Shop Business Ideas
- Starting a Pawn Shop Business
- How to Start a Meat Shop?
- How to Start Auto Body Shop?
- How to Start a Donut Shop
- How to Open a Sandwich Shop
Store Business Opportunities
- Starting a Grocery Store Business
- Starting a Fashion Clothing Store
- How to Open a Liquor Store
- How to Start a Drug Store Business?
- How to Start a Hardware Store?
@Ice, it depends where you want to open this shop. It also depends on your budget. A pet store can be started with as little as few thousand dollars to million dollars.
Startup Biz Hub - Senior Advisor (Staff)
Start with your local Small Business Administration. If your reading this, you have access to the web and can find them at www.sba.gov Best of luck!!
Pet Store Expert