Starting Building Maintenance Services Business
Make use of your maintenance experience and start a lucrative business. The building maintenance services business is a rewarding way to earn money. This article also offers tips on starting and running a maintenance services business.
Building owners contract the services of a building maintenance crew because they believe (and rightfully so) that a well-maintained workplace yields the right impression.
Studies also show that a well maintained work environment helps increase employee efficiency.
The main objective of the building maintenance service business is to provide the most effective customized and long-term maintenance solution program for its client’s building and facilities.
Are you ready to take the plunge and start your own building maintenance services business? Before you do, check out this article and find out if you have the qualities needed to succeed in this business.
Do you posses the technical skills needed for this line of work? Your client will hire expecting to receive expert building maintenance service. Your aim should always be to deliver and meet their expectation. You can learn the trends of the trade by enrolling in relevant courses. Quite a number of community colleges offer subjects of this nature. You can also do extensive reading on the subject. Keep in mind that this business is quite competitive so the more knowledge you posses, the more edge you have over your competition.
Are you self-disciplined? To succeed in this business, you need to work hard and for long hours. You should give your 100% to every contract you garner. Resist the temptation to slack off. Remember that your priority is your project and your client. You should always aim to exceed expectations. One sloppy job will mar your business reputation for a long time.
Asses your body’s capability. Do you think you can manage the physical demands of the job? Don’t forget that the bulk of the work you need to do in this business is physically taxing. Think along the lines of window cleaning, carpet cleaning, lawn maintenance—these projects are all labor intensive.
Here is a more detailed description of some of the services a typical building maintenance service business provides:
- Awning and Sign Cleaning – Awnings, whether it is made from canvas cloth, metal, acrylic lexam & Plexiglas, wood, glass etc—are used for aesthetic reasons and a dirty unsightly awning defeats this reason. Awnings and signage must be kept well maintained to preserve its life. Typical services of this nature are low pressure hand scrubbing, periodic maintenance, bird dropping removal, and restoration.
- Metal Maintenance – brass, aluminum, stainless steel, copper, anodized surfaces used in architectural panels, metal frames, mullions, and others must be maintained through cleaning, polishing, restoration, and sealing.
- Power Washing and Steam Cleaning – surfaces accumulate stains quite easily. These stains usually come from grease, algae, oil, pollution and more. Stains can damage the integrity of the building structure as well as degrade the appeal of the property. This service is typically applied to driveways, walls, loading docks, parking structures, patios, roof/canopies, sidewalks, trash bin enclosures and more.
- Surface Restoration and Waterproofing – restoration is the process of returning a structure material back to (or as close to) its original condition. Rather than replacement, restoration is the more cost-effective way of dealing with damaged structures.
- Window Cleaning – window cleaning is more complicated because of the much improved insulated glass and tempering process we have nowadays. This service is typically applied to retail storefronts, high rise buildings, and office/residential glass walls. Common flaws removed are hard water stains, graffiti/scratches, and post-construction clean-up.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
Shop Business Ideas
- Starting a Pawn Shop Business
- How to Start Auto Body Shop?
- How to Start a Meat Shop?
- How to Start a Donut Shop
- How to Open a Sandwich Shop
Store Business Opportunities
- Starting a Grocery Store Business
- Starting a Fashion Clothing Store
- How to Open a Liquor Store
- How to Start a Drug Store Business
- How to Start a Beauty Supply Store