How to Start a Hardware Store

The hardware store business is an ideal start-up business because it is extremely profitable. To generate revenue quickly, you must know what you are getting into. This article offers tips on how to open a hardware store business.

Hardware stores provide consumers with tools and construction materials needed to build, maintain, and improve their homes and properties.

hardware store

Examples of home improvement merchandise are as follows: automotive supplies, building materials, electrical supplies, hand and power tools and accessories, hardware, home decorating products, house wares, lawn and garden items, lumber, paint/paint sundries, plumbing/heating/cooling products, sporting goods and more.

If you are thinking of starting your own hardware store then now is the best time to do so. Why? The demand for retail stores of this nature have grown tremendously because of the upsurge of the do-it-yourself phenomenon.

To help you in this endeavor, enumerated below is list of things a hardware store owner must know:

• Advertise your retail hardware store aggressively, and if you can, try to establish a low-price image and put emphasis on convenience shopping.
  • Before jumping in the water, make sure you know how to swim. Ask yourself if you have sufficient experience to start and operate a hardware store.
  • If you are considering buying a previously owned hardware store, make sure you know the reason why the business is being sold. Try to find out how the sales volume for the store is, is it high or low? And the reason behind it. Also, check out the market price to see if the owner gave you a fair figure. Don’t forget to negotiate to get a better deal.
  • In choosing a location to open a hardware shop, consider the following factors: the neighborhood’s prospect for growth, the age and income of your customer base, the amount of competition in the area, and the accessibility of the area.
  • Study the competition in the area. Find out the strengths and weaknesses of the other players in the locale. Find out how you can compete with them.
  • The average size of a typical independent hardware store is between 20K to 30K square feet or larger. Maximize the full use of your space by installing a lot of shelving and display cases. The more items your browsing patrons come into contact with, the better. This will translate to additional sales for you.
  • The perception that this industry is dominated by big players is just that, a perception. Although retail chains are important in this industry, in no way do they control the total retail distribution channel. They may have the bigger market share but small to mid-size hardware stores do enjoy their own portion of the consumer pie. In fact, studies reveal that independent hardware stores can compete successfully with the large chains. In some cases, consumers find them better than corporate chains because of their personalized approach.
  • You can get your stock from three sources. One, full line hardware wholesalers, two direct from the manufacturers, and three, secondary or specialty distributors. The usual avenue chosen by most independent hardware store owners is via wholesalers. When affiliating with wholesalers, you get to receive marketing and advertising support as bonus.
  • Your target market would be the local community. As such, your inventory of products must be geared to cater to their preference and needs. Ensure satisfactory customer care by providing personal service and hiring/training your staff to make them leaned in the field of home improvement and construction.

• 1. carl said on 7/9/2008
    Don’t be fooled. a hardware store is a huge investment that takes meticulous planning. it is not a one man show anymore and will take a team of dedicated people to see it be successful and by the way, the DIY market is trending down as the population ages, that's why so many of the big box stores are pushing installation services. good luck.
  • 2. Dennis Clark said on 7/17/2008
    I have been working on opening a nationally known hardware store in my town since December 2006 and it is now July 2008. What a ride!!! Start, stop, start, stop... Be prepared for a lot of stress, time and money. we are almost ready to open in October 2008.
  • 3. Ron said on 9/2/2008
    Is it easier to start if you already own the building?
    I want to open a non franchised store in a small town.
    The rent from the apartments carries the building mortgage.
  • 4. Vicki said on 9/28/2008
    I manage a hardware store in a VERY small town and it is very big struggle. I know that I mark up everything up 30% and that seems to still be lower than the lumber yard in town. My spouse and I are planning on purchasing this business and yes we are very scared but excited about the new adventure.
  • 5. Gary said on 10/8/2008
    Looking to start a hardware soon already have the location and building set up. Need some wholesalers, manufactures and distributors.
  • 6. Allen said on 10/19/2008
    Trying to open up my own little hardware store and trying to find the local wholesalers...any help on going about it?
  • 7. vipul patel said on 1/8/2009 5:58:23 AM
    My father owns a hardware store in a prime location & i want to extend my business by adding some hydraulic fittings and components. I want some tips & knowledge about how to extend my business.
  • 8. Jasper said on 1/25/2009 11:43:20 PM
    Can I ask more tips on how to start a hardware store in a municipal area, and how many percent should i put in one item?
  • 9. manuelo f. said on 2/20/2009 2:00:11 AM
    Hey, here is a wholesaler for hardware stores, the number is 787 769 2933... they have really good prices.
  • 10. Riaz said on 3/3/2009 1:42:06 PM
    i wanna start a retail store of hardware, will it be profitable for me? moreover i am a MBA graduate.
  • 11. Amir said on 3/30/2009 11:48:51 AM
    I read all the comments posted and would like to know how much capital do I need to set up a hardware store? Secondly, I have HD and Ace with in 5 miles, how do you find a location outside your town, and are there any services available which can help me find the locations?
  • 12. Allan Bucknol said on 4/7/2009 6:19:33 AM
    Thanks for your information. I have started a small hardware store and would like to know the best way of grouping and coding the inventory items. For example Paint department.
  • 13. Terry said on 4/30/2009 7:01:17 AM
    Hardware "don't do it" When Bunnings comes to town there objective is to CRUSH the small independents and even small franchise Hardware stores and eventually do the dirty F######!!!
  • 14. Kripa Nath Singh said on 5/3/2009 4:51:12 AM
    How much money want to invest in Medium hardware shop and where are the wholesaler please give me the name and address.
  • 15. daniel said on 5/6/2009 6:14:27 PM
    orgill is wholesaler we deal with from the U.S. and Canada we deal with canwel building. that's mostly just on hardware. Lumber is different mills seem to carry all different sizes. your best bet is to look at what your competitor is selling and go from there. it takes time for you to earn trust from the wholesalers and distributors.
  • 16. Janet said on 5/12/2009 8:42:07 AM
    I have interests in starting up a hardware store in my village, i have a house which needs to be renovated, how much do i need to start with?
  • 17. SHAFI ALHAJRI said on 5/27/2009 8:43:11 AM
    We are interested to open a hardware store in the Eastern Region of Saudi and expand later into other Saudi Major Cities. What's your suggestion and how we go about it. Thank you
  • 18. k.m said on 7/7/2009 9:51:03 AM
    competition is tough and competitors are going high especially my next door competitor hardware store.
  • 19. waleed youssef sultan said on 7/21/2009 11:04:34 AM
    I want to start Hardware Business in my country becoming an agent of the biggest store to deal and distribute their products.
  • 20. ourangaseeb said on 8/15/2009 2:12:32 PM
    I have already a small furniture store now. I am looking to start a power tools accessories store. where are the wholesalers, please give me the address thank you
  • 21. Joseph Mutagonza Mukasa said on 8/21/2009 5:16:14 AM
    any one's success in any business today will depend on how much in depth knowledge you have about it. its important to have interest in the business, know the inner workings of the business, the right connections and also give a "cosmetic" approach to it. i.e it should provide something distinct from what the rest are providing. so dont be discouraged by those talking of "a lot of capital, time and stress."
  • 22. W. Hudson said on 8/30/2009 12:10:12 AM
    I'm an independent dealer and I used a guy named Dan Ramos (danramos at cox dot net) to set up my whole store. He planned everything, ordered and installed my fixtures, set up my computer system (POS), merchandised product, hung signs and trained my employees. Because I talked to him first, I will be opening another store next year. Look out for the "helpful hardware..." they are not very helpful at all. I will not be affiliated with a coop ever again. My advice is look around and do your homework.
  • 23. Baban said on 12/2/2009 10:24:15 PM
    We are thinking about opening a hardware store about 3000 sq. In North in Iraq we are looking for some international wholesaler that will provide us with tools and idea to start up this project any recommendations will be greatly appreciate it please respond.
  • 24. santosh kampo said on 12/6/2009 2:29:01 AM
    i am thinking to start a hardware store in koraput dist of orissa. how much investment is required? i have my own building. name some of wholesalers, manufacturers and distributors.
  • 25. krish said on 12/8/2009 8:51:32 AM
    i am a medium sized hardware store owner in small town. there are 6 to 7 hardware stores in the same area and one is in next door to my store. And i think my store is not doing well as the others. please suggest ideas to be the number one.
  • 26. importferreteria@yahoo.com said on 12/17/2009 8:26:13 AM
    I would like to know where to purchase merchandise, a manufacture and or distributor. Philadelphia
  • 27. ksb said on 12/22/2009 8:25:29 PM
    www.Bostwick-Braun.com (member PRO Hardware Group) is a regional hardware distributor. We can help independent hardware owners get started. I have been in sales within this industry for over 25 years and it can be rewarding. However there are no short cuts in this business! Be prepared to work hard and long hours if your going to be successful. I manage a sales territory in SW Michigan as an employee owner of the company. It is a great time to get into the industry. The trends are leaning towards remodeling and repair.
  • 28. bashir moghul said on 12/28/2009 11:33:40 PM
    i would like to start a hardware store and my business location in minneapolis, mn, u.s.a. please help me to open this store.
  • 29. Hk Producer said on 3/6/2010 11:45:03 AM
    Hello Everyone, I deal on sales of phones, Ipods, Laptops, computer accessories and other electronic device. I want to expand by opening more outlets in other countries. If your country is a Good market or you have suggestions, contact me today via mail: hkproducers@gmail.com
  • 30. keynes said on 3/11/2010 1:35:33 AM
    would like to open a hardware store in seremban, negeri sembilan, malaysia
  • 31. Houston Hardware said on 3/23/2010 3:04:52 PM
    I owned a Hardware store for 10 years. I sold it due to box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. I really was tired of the hours and aggravations. Wholesales are few, but coops are many. Ace, Do-it-Best(DIB), Handy Hardware, Tru-serve, etc. I marked most everything around 40 points. You can buy quality specials at hardware shows and get around 50 to 60 points on that buy. In 1978 I started with $100,000 and it was not enough. Pay your people well, award them with benefits and they will stay with you through thick and thin
  • 32. S.VENKATARAMANI said on 4/11/2010 4:49:41 AM
    Dear Sir, I want to start a small building hardware store (retail outlet) in Kallakurichi of Villupuram Dist, Tamilnadu as I have almost 12 years experience in building material industry. How to go about it? What will be the investment and return on it? How to source the material. Regards,
  • 33. sunil Dattatray surve said on 4/14/2010 5:02:07 AM
    Dear Presently working in MNC company at MIDC Ranjangaon, Pune. It's around 112 kms * 02=224 kms journey. Now, my age is around 46 yrs. Hence, daily long way journey. I have planed to start own small scale business/ shops. Finally, I planned to open a hardware shop at Pune at Kalewadi area on Tapkir nagar. Please give me the advise. Also App. budget. So I can prepare. Thanks, With regards, Sunil Surve
  • 34. Anil kumar singh said on 4/14/2010 9:02:55 AM
    Dear Sir, Here with Introducing ourselves as We are Established in the year 1988, Named S.M. Polymers and after that converted into SAMSAA RUBBER & POLYMERS PVT. LTD is one of the premier PVC Flexible Hose Pipes, Water Stop, Krishi Pipes manufacturing companies in India. Located at Plot No: 36/C, Phase –I, Road No: 9, S.V.CO.OP Industrial Estate, Jeedimetla, Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh. SAMSAA RUBBER employs a staff of 90 to 100 highly qualified professionals, who are field specialists. SAMSAA RUBBER, one of the leading Rubber Sheets, Insulation Mats, Bridge Bearing Pads, Anti-vibration pads, Rubber Hose Pipes, Extruded Beading Profiles etc and PVC Water Stop, PVC Water Hose Pipe, Braided Hose Pipe, Suction Hose Pipe, Dust Hose Pipes, Stair Case Handles, LDPE Krishi Hose Pipes and PVC Water Seals NCP & NCT. More details kindly visit us : www.samsaa.com for SAMSAA RUBBER & POLYMERS PVT. LTD Marketing Team 91-40-23195329
  • 35. John kanyi said on 5/7/2010 2:51:59 AM
    I want to start a small hardware at the outskirts of Nairobi town. My big worry is how to asses the business to know what am going into as am not experienced in this field?
  • 36. Vinay M said on 5/10/2010 11:11:03 AM
    We sell second hand Dell P4 CPUs at low rates in very good conditions. So anyone who is willing to start can contact us for the above mentioned inf. at kingsway.syt@gmail.com. We have the pics and complete pics through word file.
  • 37. Mr Godwin Chapinduka said on 5/15/2010 2:07:25 PM
    Dear sir/madam, i want to start a hardware shop in Zimbabwe. how much can i start with as a capital. tell me the currency in US Dollars and which country will i be buying the hardware stuff. please reply
  • 38. buki said on 5/18/2010 9:22:36 AM
    my location port harcourt nigeria. want to start a hardware store to add to what am already doing it is in front of my current office i do not intend to be there always so i need info on stock recording and monitoring
  • 39. Lana said on 6/18/2010 11:16:30 AM
    Our business is in the Bahamas. We used Orgill they sell almost everything. You will have to do extensive searches in your area to see who else you can deal with. To help us along we bought a block machine
  • 40. Precious said on 6/20/2010 12:13:05 PM
    please i would like to open a hardware shop but i dont know how to go about it. what it entails, what to sell, and how to acquire them.
  • 41. kenneth shockley said on 6/20/2010 4:08:59 PM
    I want to start a mid sides hardware/lumber store. need help with how to start it. and how much capital will i need to start it.
  • 42. george cen said on 6/23/2010 4:57:21 AM
    Chinese manufacturers direct supply led lights, high quality low price, please call or EMAIL consultation. TEL:86-0574-23618678 Ningbo Prime Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
  • 43. ashish alone said on 7/6/2010 7:22:58 AM
    hi i am ashish i have done my B.E IN MECHANICAL and now started my career with a real estate company as a purchase engineer. i want to start my own hardware buisness in chandrapur(maharastra). what is the scope and how should i start. i wish to open a hardware store and also supply material to industries. i need ur help
  • 44. Moulik Panchal said on 7/6/2010 10:27:07 AM
    Dear Sir i want to start a hardware shop for that I need Material List or Stock List for Hardware Shops
  • 45. Sai Kumar.T said on 8/19/2010 12:39:36 PM
    At present one of my friend is operating the hardware store now he wants supports from me so please guide me how much money can invest with his partnership. the shop location is is in India, Andhra Pradesh, Nellore city
  • 46. MANAS said on 8/24/2010 9:06:59 AM
    Dear Sir, I am from india, maharashtra (pune), sir i have my own shop in pune city and i want to start hardware shop , i what to know how to get daily steel rate in local market and from where to purchase material like GI FITTINGS , PAINT, ETC products, also how can i get local rates for every products, thanks, manas
  • 47. mirwaise said on 9/1/2010 5:53:39 PM
    Dear, I started a hardware store, first 6 months u will be almost paying everything from your pocket. Mainly because you are new in the area..Retail business is something which requires, Patience, determination and u should be able to subsidize it for 6 months. After one year u will see a difference dramatically as a result of time as you are introduced in the market or your local area.
  • 48. Xolani said on 9/8/2010 12:17:44 PM
    I am always interested in a hardware store and next to my business there is a building to let. this building used to be the hardware and there is still people who still look for the hardware shop that used to be in that spot. Now i am interested in renting this space and put up a hardware store. But I do not know where to start in terms of stock to sell and suppliers of such stock. Would you please help.
  • 49. bharat said on 9/19/2010 9:45:34 AM
    i am interested in a hardware business. please let me know what type of location is suitable. and what do i have to do if there are number of competitor?? please give me some tips to start my own store
  • 50. ging said on 9/21/2010 10:39:07 PM
    I have a home based business, though i am interested to engage in retail hardware store..i just came to realize how profitable the business was...when i was constructing our house..I'm planning to start this last quarter of this year where community can indulge in home improvement because of the extra cash they may have...How much capital needed for a start? Simply say, fast moving stocks will be the priority..please help me find wholesalers and manufacturers..I'm from davao city, philippines..thanks and more power
  • 51. Canra said on 9/27/2010 11:41:30 PM
    I want to start Hardware shop trading in my country becoming an seller, please advice me where to get the contacts. Canra
  • 52. bongani ngcobo said on 9/28/2010 1:50:52 AM
    I want to start a hardware at soweto (South of Johannesburg) and I need advice. I want to sell building material for the community of Soweto. please help.
  • 53. cc said on 10/14/2010 1:14:12 PM
    Hello, I presently work at a little hardware store in Wv. They have actually been in business for 53 years now. One of the only true small businesses left in town. I am deciding wait or not to branch off from them about 30 miles away in an even smaller town. I know that the profit would be pretty good in this town as all of the folks go to the local store 30 miles down the road to get their supplies. Any suggestions on if it would be a good idea to branch off of the store that I presently work at!
  • 54. Aslam said on 10/21/2010 4:30:01 AM
    i want to start hardware business, can you provide me the wholesaler and manufacturers list, so we will contact them directly. please give us your idea, my location is bandlagudda, near chandryngutta, hyderabad
  • 55. Mike Lock said on 12/2/2010 7:46:48 PM
    We are in Florida and would love to see your answers to all the questions above. Mike
  • 56. robert okoth nyawara said on 12/13/2010 4:53:38 AM
    I come from kenya,kisumu city,postal address is 3470-40100 kisumu.I am a certified public accountant of kenya and would like to start a hardware business in the city of kisumu in the month of april 2011. may you please advise me further on how to start and the low priced wholesalers and distributors in my country, please this a serious plea and only serious persons to reply.
  • 57. Ibrahim mhd sharif said on 12/27/2010 5:43:02 AM
    I'm 52 old man with background in small construction and finance. I plan to set up a hardware business such as sole agent a certain brand tools and machineries, specially new products. My dream is to set up a "hardware supermarket" in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Will you provide me a few successful hardware supermarket in any part of the world as a chosen model. I want them to be my mentor and willing to follow their steps or system .
  • 58. Billy said on 12/28/2010 8:43:53 AM
    I want to start a hardware store in a small agricultural town of Chegutu in 2011. There are rural places around as well. Advise what things I may start to stock and how much and where can i buy from. Thank you
  • 59. A.L.Jr. said on 1/2/2011 10:38:55 PM
    Hello, I plan to start a small Hardware Business within our compound. My wife already had a small Sari-sari Store in front of our house and her business is doing good because we are just beside a Public Elementary School. I have 2 establish Hardware Shop within 100 mt around my neighborhood. What do you think is it still advisable to put up my business? Can you advice me on what particular product i have to sell for the start of the business. My capital can only range from Php 100,000-150,000. My address is in Canduman, Mandaue City, Cebu Philippines.
  • 60. ALL said on 1/3/2011 6:01:38 PM
    My husband and I are thinking of starting up a small hardware store in our local area. How much are the start up costs from start to open? Any help would be appreciated.
  • 61. Mxolisi Nkosi said on 1/18/2011 6:05:22 AM
    I want to start a hardware store in JHb. but i need to know how to go about and how much i need to start up and who can be the best suppliers for my store
  • 62. TP said on 1/21/2011 2:53:43 AM
    I have a newly opened hardware store. My advice to someone that is planning on opening a new hardware store is don't do it. But if you as I was are determined to take the dive here is what you will certainly hear and somehow must over come. One is the perception is that since Lowe's is larger they are cheaper, even if they are not you will never get the general public to believe you are. Two the store nearest you will always have what you do not have, I hear customers tell me several times a day "I'll go to ????? they will have it". Even if they do or not some customers feel it is their duty to tell that they do have it. Third customers will ask you for brand name items, you may sell the same product under a different name but they will not buy it due to the name on your item isn't the same or you do have the same product but the maker of the product has changed the packaging, they want what they want and will drive an extra 10 miles to get it. What I have learned it that price is kind, no one wants quality or items that will last. They want the cheapest of everything. Example light bulbs that last 6 months will outsell light bulbs that will last 10 years a million times over. Hardware stores is a hard business - too many different items to purchase, overhead is high, profit margins is low and everyone from the government to credit card companies are wanting to charge you outlandish prices taking away what little profit you will make. Anyone opening a new store regardless of the location will need not less than 200,000 dollars cash available for purchases plus another 75,000 - 100.000 cash available for the first one to two years they must work for free and pay the stores way out of their pocket. Again I would tell you not to open a hardware store!!!! Want to know more by all means email me at ttp10757@aol.com
  • 63. aura alam said on 1/24/2011 8:08:52 PM
    hi, interesting on your comment for opening hardware shop and greet experience you sharing with us. But one thing, business problem is everywhere and everyone, so we take this as challenge to success.
  • 64. loyce banda said on 1/27/2011 10:00:25 AM
    want to open a hardware store at my home area where people are now building houses and which i terms should i sell to start with and and based in zambia Lusaka. regards
  • 65. Lorry Lee said on 1/28/2011 3:17:14 AM
    Hi,glad to see so many one who want to star their business.But before you want to start your business,you'd better think over and over about the difficult things you might meet in the future,such as tax,how to find a good supplier or distributor,how to place your goods in your store or shop,how to collect your money from your client. I just do my business in China,though there may some difference,but i would be glad to discuss that with you@ soobystar10@126.com.
  • 66. carlo ruffolo said on 2/6/2011 8:57:58 AM
    I WANT TO OPEN A HARDWARE STORE IN ILLINOIS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS THERE A GOOD SUPPLIER IN THIS STATE. HOW MUCH CAPITAL WOULD YOU NEED
  • 67. JILLIAN said on 2/6/2011 11:37:15 AM
    Hi, I want to open a small hardware store in a suburb in Cape Town, can anybody please give names of hardware wholesalers and what the cost will be to set it up.
  • 68. valerie mutukwa said on 2/11/2011 5:08:52 AM
    very interesting.me and hubby are running an engineering company.we are interested in starting a hardware.we are in zimbabwe.some of the things we can manufacture.is it possible 2 run it 2getha with the engineering premise.thank you
  • 69. fasal said on 2/26/2011 11:25:17 AM
    i am thinking to start medium hardware business kumbakonam dt of tamilnadu, south india. how much investment is required to start? i have my own building 20 sq.feet to 30 sq. feet. plz. let me know name of wholesalers, manufactures and distributors
  • 70. JACK beginner adviser said on 2/27/2011 11:21:50 AM
    SW FLORIDA. I have owned a hardware store in Southern Florida since 1989. A lot has changed since then, but the basics are the same for a small hardware store. A hardware store is no different than any other small business. Every small business is a struggle to start and make a profit. The amount of capital required to start a hardware store depends a lot on the size of the store. The most economical and practical way to get into the hardware business is to buy an existing store. Make sure you get good financials from the seller. If you are not adept at reading financials, enlist the aid of a CPA to help you analyze. You do not want to be buying assets; you want to buy a business that provides cash flow. Starting a new store from scratch is very difficult because of the huge initial cost for new fixtures and equipment. Back in 1989, I worked at the hardware store that I eventually bought for six months before making an offer. If you are committed to buying or starting a hardware store, I would advise you to do the same. This experience proved invaluable. We were a True Value for 10 years, and then switched to Do It Best. Ace, True Value, and Do It Best are the three largest hardware buying coops in the US. Basically, you place a weekly order with your buying coop. This order ships out of the closest warehouse via semi-trailer. Additional orders can be placed directly with vendors and billed through your hardware coop. In general, you cannot obtain the same pricing as big box stores. You have to provide convenience and high service level to differentiate your store from the competition.

We sold our store in 2006, keeping the real estate (renting it to our buyer). At the end of 2008, our buyer walked away from the store, and we bought it back from his bank. We are back two years now, and the store is very profitable once again. It is like any other business; you have to show an interest, and you have to work hard. Having a point of sale system makes the job much less time consuming. I used to spend ten hours a week on my weekly order, now it takes one hour. JACK
  • 71. S Elbert said on 3/4/2011 4:34:21 PM
    Could someone tell me what the average markup is on items purchased from Tru Value (Cotter). I am a CPA working with a small hardware store trying to get there pricing issues corrected. The Cotter rep said it is about 35%. That seems low to me, but I don't have any other clients that are in this business.
  • 72. James expert adviser said on 3/5/2011 6:59:59 PM
    @S Elbert, I know Elbert pricing is the toughest task. I was chatting with Dana about pricing her hand bags on this page, i hope you might get some pointers from there.

Jestin James
    Startup Biz Hub - Senior Advisor (Staff)

• 73. PRABHAKARAN .K.V. said on 3/6/2011 2:33:12 AM
    I AM READY WITH MY SHOW ROOM IN KERALA-THRISSUR IN SUBURBS, WHICH IS PLANNED TO DO HARDWARE BUILDING MATERIALS INCLUDING FLOOR AND WALL VITRIFIED TILES. THE SHOP AREA IS 3000 SQ. FT AND STORE GETTING READY IS APPROX: 10000 SQ.FT. I AM LOOKING FOR WHOLE SELLERS TO SUPPORT ME FOR THE HARDWARE BUILDING CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AS WELL TILE MANUFACTURERS FROM MORBI IN THEY ARE INTERESTED IN A DISTRIBUTION BUSINESS. MY MAIN INTENTION TO MARKET THE PRODUCTS BY EXTENDED SERVICES TO WORK SITE PROVIDING COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS DUE MAINTAINED QUALITY STUFF. I AM INTERESTED TO DEAL WITH MANUFACTURER SUPPLIERS OR DISTRIBUTORS TO HELP ME IN THIS VENTURE IN ORDER TO MERCHANDISE RIGHTLY TO SLOWLY IMPROVE THE SELLING TARGETING A BRAKE EVEN TIME OF ONE YEAR. PLEASE DO CONTACT ME FOR THE BUSINESS WE CAN DISCUSS WITH. REGARDS
  • 74. JACK beginner adviser said on 3/8/2011 2:23:46 PM
    Margins in hardware stores are difficult to generalize. So much depends on location, product mix, and local competition. That said, I have been in this business for 20 years; 10 as a True Value coope member, and 10 as a Do It Best coop member. My cost of goods percentage has been about 55%. This is after any year-end rebates received from my co-op. This percentage is achievable if a lot of your product is high margin (keys, glass, fasteners, builder's hardware, plumbing). At the other end of the spectrum, we sell water heaters and garbage disposals at less than 20% margin. I think that 40 - 45% margin is pretty typical for a small hardware store. JACK
  • 75. FAISAL K V said on 3/12/2011 1:06:20 PM
    Dear PRABHAKARAN .K.V. Pl. elaborate on the situation in kerala or this biz. my id kvfaisals@gmail.com. Me too planning one. a 2000sqft showroom.
  • 76. mohammed arif said on 3/19/2011 1:01:47 AM
    i am thinking to start medium hardware business in delhi. how much investment is required to start? let me know name of wholesalers, manufactures and distributors
  • 77. RON said on 4/14/2011 10:28:45 AM
    I'm planning to open a hardware store in sta. rosa city, laguna, phils How much capital do i need to put it up - starting from the minimum amount. And what lines of products could be best for such start up capital? Coz i'm thinking of starting on electrical supplies first. Is this a good idea? I also need wholesalers, manufacturers and distributors who can provide me with the products. regards,
  • 78. babu sadanand said on 5/2/2011 2:29:43 AM
    I am thinking of starting a medium hardware business in Mahe, Pondicherry state. Kindly let me know how much investment will be required and please let have the name of some whole sellers, manufacturer and distributors of hardware items and tools. Your help appreciated
  • 79. emy said on 5/24/2011 12:40:43 PM
    hi, we're planning to start a hardware store but don't have idea where and how. also dont know exactly how to start this kind of business. Pls. let me know any idea including where to get good suppliers and how much is the minimum capital required in starting this business. we're located in cebu philippines particulary in lapu-lapu city. thanks in advance.
  • 80. lauressa evans said on 5/25/2011 9:33:19 PM
    i want to open a hardware store in jamaica do u think that is a good investment. the hardware stores in jamaica look like little shacks and their over priced
  • 81. sam rizk said on 5/27/2011 3:24:04 AM
    HI, i am a wholesaler/Importer of all types of hand tools, for all types of trades. Located in Sydney Australia. My family has been importing from Taiwan, china, Korea for more over 40years. catch me at Itzrizz@hotmail.com.
  • 82. Murtaza Rajkotwala said on 5/28/2011 9:42:58 AM
    Hi I am Murtaza from Pune (Maharashtra) India. My father is running a hardware shop at road to Hadapsar. Its been a long time but we are unable to have success. Can any one provide me the details of reasonable rate providing distributor the distributor (Wholesaler)for Hardware Goods such as Screws, Tools etc. There is plan also. Hope it gets successful. Thanks
  • 83. Sawant said on 6/12/2011 6:38:27 AM
    I want to start small scale Hardware @ electrical store, pl. send me the list of items to be kept in the shop at initial stage. Regards
  • 84. jenny said on 6/14/2011 1:32:37 AM
    pls.some advise im putting up hardware store in philippines..what stocks should i prepare? thanks..
  • 85. lily ann said on 6/19/2011 1:31:13 AM
    i want a hardware business,but i dont know how to start & how much the capital,where do i get the suppliers? etc..pls advice,tnx
  • 86. raghu vamsi said on 6/28/2011 9:14:14 AM
    hai sir. this is a small town named uravakonda in andrapradesh in india.this is a place where there is no enough stock in a shop of hardware.more over customer wishes to get items for cheaper rate.so customers will migrate to another place to fulfill their wish in buying the things.so please give new ideas to over come the competition and to make customers to choose my shop to get the things which they wish to buy n they has 2 satisfy
  • 87. richard varghese said on 7/26/2011 2:40:40 AM
    hello sir, i would like to start a small hardware shop in kerala,its a village place.i have no idea what type of items i should keep in the store.and where do i get the wholesale suppliers,,i would like to get ur advise, thanking you richard
  • 88. biswa said on 8/1/2011 8:14:27 AM
    I AM WORKING IN BANGALORE.i m a MBA graduate .i want to do HARDWARE WHOLESALE AND RETAIL BUSINESS IN BHUBANESWAR, ORISSA, GIVE SOME TIPS, AND WHAT IS THE OBSTACLE WOULD BE COME FOR A NEW STORE
  • 89. epefanio A. Lumactod II said on 8/6/2011 7:44:18 PM
    i'm a seaman, i want to start business hardware in town of Don, Carlos Bukidnon. How much money i need to start this kind of business. Please find me some information where i can learn to handle the store.thanks
  • 90. saurabh kesharwani said on 8/8/2011 2:37:42 PM
    i want to open a hardware shop in rampur jablpur(madhya pradesh)india wats the process. 4200sqft build up area i have already
  • 91. jitendra said on 8/15/2011 2:44:27 PM
    i want start home hardware business..for i have no experience,i have 1200sqft area builder, in karnataka, so i am looking for best supplier..
  • 92. dexter said on 8/17/2011 10:33:36 AM
    hi, i operate a hardware store at lanao, philippines and i'm planning to open a branch store next town about 3km away. i'm concerned about pilferage since i can't be at the same time on both stores. Any tips on how to avoid pilferage? And i also need help about warehousing, logistics, inventory and other similar stuff. My warehouse is at the main branch and i don't intend to put up another because of space constraints.. Help pls..
  • 93. Mohammed Gaze said on 8/20/2011 1:33:00 AM
    I am from India,importer of a reputed paint company from UAE any one interested franchisee of paints south india contact arabianlinks11@gmail.com
  • 94. dushyant sharma said on 8/23/2011 4:54:12 PM
    i want start hardware business.i have 1200sqft area building on road at meerut (u.p.) so i am looking for best supplier..
  • 95. Unnikrishnan said on 8/26/2011 5:15:53 AM
    I would like to start a Sanitary Hardware shop at Alapuzha or Cherthala in Alleppey District, Kerala State, India. How it will work out at these places. Is it a good decision.
  • 96. Kelvin Lim said on 9/5/2011 5:35:57 AM
    Hello everybody , Just want to get from your idea , how to start a retail hardware shop right now , i planing to start next year .. i am head ach ... please give some idea..
  • 97. eric said on 9/11/2011 6:50:49 PM
    How much money do you need to start a hardware store I am located in haltom city texas 76117
  • 98. leizl E. Tiempo said on 10/3/2011 2:27:22 AM
    Hi I want to start hardware business next year..How much money do i need to start? please give me estimate idea..from Anahawan Southern Leyte 66100
  • 99. mutebi hamuza said on 10/19/2011 2:05:44 PM
    i want to start a hard ware store at our town what special ,thing should i put in consideration
  • 100. satheesh said on 10/25/2011 7:02:48 AM
    i want to open small hardware and electrical stores at Madurai rural areas, where i should buy materials from whole sale and what are the materials initially stocked in my store, which one is more volume of sales
  • 101. Bhagesh said on 10/31/2011 12:40:55 PM
    I want to start plywood & hardware shop in 'bhilad' 'gujarat' 'india' how much will it cost & from where should i purchase material.
  • 102. Charles Chibuzo Onwuasoanya said on 11/5/2011 5:11:11 AM
    Hello! I have no store yet. Here is my intention: I wish to be a distributor of Laptop computers, I mean a distributing agent for a reputable manufacturer/company. I have little or no capital, but intend to make sales and returns to the manufacturer to help bridge IT gap in my country. Please can you link me up? Thanks.
  • 103. vincent evans said on 11/5/2011 10:03:04 AM
    hi i am vince going to open a builder and landscape supply business in detroit mich
  • 104. varghese v chacko said on 11/6/2011 12:58:30 PM
    Sir,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FROM YOU THAT WHAT ARE THE THINGS WHICH I MUST KNOW BEFORE STARTING AN ELECTRIC SHOP IN A SMALL TOWN IN KERALA IN KOTTAYAM DISTRICT.
  • 105. Saji said on 11/11/2011 11:06:47 AM
    Sir, What is the procedure of opening a new paint shop in small place in Kottayam district, kerala, India & How much money required for initially. Please answer.
  • 106. Marvin Wright said on 11/13/2011 7:38:34 PM
    I am black man 37yrs old just got my certification in HVAC & Refrigeration and now pursuing my assc. When finish I can open my own hardware store. But I don't have the money. I live in Memphis,Tn.in the 38114 zip code. I am renting house.
  • 107. jishan said on 11/16/2011 7:13:04 PM
    i have to start mechanical hardware store in taluka place karmala dist solapur ,maharashtra (india) my shop is at good location but i dont have any experience in it so plz help me
  • 108. Gurubasava ks said on 11/17/2011 8:43:45 AM
    Dear Sir, I am guru ks,MBA graduate my native place is Davanagere(karnataka). I have start do hardware shop(house holds)business,i have little bit of knowledge in this business so i need to information about this materials and how to start this business. Please send the address ASAP. Gurubasava ks, Davanagere Cell.no-9481457083, Thanking you
  • 109. sj said on 11/27/2011 7:16:20 AM
    hi... im from dumaguete,philippines, my husband and i is planning to put up a hardware store, can you give me a hint how to do it. how much capital do we need, and basic items we must sell. also some wholesale distributors nearby thanks.
  • 110. RAY LITCHMORE said on 11/27/2011 5:59:53 PM
    I WANT TO START A SMALL HARDWARE STORE IN AN AVERAGE COMMUNITY, I NEED SOME POINTERS ON THE ITEMS I MIGHT NEED AND THE AMOUNT OF CAPITAL I WILL NEED TO BEGIN WITH.
  • 111. Amelia Huang said on 11/29/2011 3:40:40 AM
    to set up a hardware business, i think the basic thing is having some money which can maintain the operation of our store, 2nd, choose a proper location; have stable supply of goods, make sure we have good products from good suppliers; proper advertising and proper pricing with proper service. if anyone of u wanna start a hardware store and are looking for suppliers of all kinds of sanders and stuff, i think i can offer a proper help. u could contact me at cqnsgj@hotmail.com
  • 112. Amy said on 11/30/2011 2:38:28 AM
    BEFORE OPEN A HARDWARE STORE ,YOU SHOULD DO THINK MANY FACTORS,SUCH AS MONEY , SUPPLIER ,TARGET MARKET , ETC. I'M RUNNING A HARDWARE SHOP FOR OVER 6 YEARS ,AND WILL GLAD TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE FOR SINCERELY NEW STARTING ONES .MY YAHOO ID IS amy1666666 .
  • 113. sana said on 12/2/2011 11:17:28 PM
    i want to sell my product and i want to advertise it in the internet
  • 114. Lyn said on 12/11/2011 11:52:17 AM
    If i will open a store and I will use my own money...is there a rule for how many percent I will give to the people that will manage my store? They said that if I use my own money, the sharing of the income from the store is 40% for me(the owner) and 60% for them (those who will manage my store)...
  • 115. vimbayi mangoya said on 12/19/2011 11:04:54 AM
    i want to open a hardware store in Harare,zimbabwe.Kindly send me the names and contacts of hardware wholesalers ,manufacturers and specialty distributors i can deal with.
  • 116. pramod shetty said on 12/21/2011 9:03:10 AM
    I want to start hardware shop ?how to start & how much investment I have to make?
  • 117. sanjeev vij said on 12/24/2011 3:04:00 AM
    we are from punjab amritsar. we want to start business online billing as a distributor. please give some suggestion to us about it.
  • 118. tom said on 12/29/2011 3:19:33 PM
    I want to start a mobile home parts store. There are only one in Bay county. The location will be on the 231 highway in bay county florida. Just 15 miles from the town of panama city florida. I appreciate any help you can give me.
  • 119. Mohammad ijaz said on 1/7/2012 7:51:18 AM
    Hi my business is hardware / sanitary and electric store / shop in karachi E-market Pakistan required investors I am master of statistics experience 8 years as data processing officer in sugar mills and 16 years as store in charge in retail store / shop
  • 120. george njoroge gitau said on 1/9/2012 5:14:40 AM
    I do like to get more information about starting a hardware and i am locate Kenya nairobi.
  • 121. Dipen Giri said on 1/11/2012 1:13:14 AM
    Hi my name is Dipen giri. I am planning to start a hardware/sanitary in my city. I am new in this business but my education field is related to it as i am the student of civil engineering. I appreciate any help you can provide me.
  • 122. nabeel ashraf said on 1/18/2012 6:31:44 AM
    my father is running his business of hardware n electric store in sadya-I,Riyadh,saudia Arab, n he wants a complete change his business location in Riyadh,plz suggest us where we recommence same store in Riyadh????????????
  • 123. SUDHIR SHARAN said on 1/22/2012 9:05:14 PM
    I want to start a hardware store in VIRAR, Thane (Maharashtra), INDIA but no any idea in this line. How much capital required. Who is distributor of Hardware in Mumbai and how we start this business. Kindly guide me in this line or suggest any other profitable business in this area.
  • 124. ahmed said on 1/23/2012 3:05:33 AM
    Hi i wants to start hardware shop in gulbarga market [karnataka]INDIA. who is the related distributor ,wholesaler of hardware in mumbai,Hydrabad,pune. kindly give me information regarding this business. And how much investment required.
  • 125. Monyamane said on 1/23/2012 8:23:37 AM
    I want to start Venturing in a building materials and hardware store in my home City in Francistown, Botswana.Though there a big players in the market its little bit tricky on how to start,the amount of capital that is needed for start up and what are the major products start selling in this medium sized business.Hope i get the desired tips from you guys.
  • 126. mansoor tt said on 1/23/2012 11:08:25 PM
    calicut. kerala, india. my father have hardware shop, they supplying tools, locks, brass items.. its started before 25 year.... now i want to start new shop in the same town with paint, hardware, electrical, plywood, glass, actually how much investment need for this plan??? please send ur suggestions mansoortt@gmail.com
  • 127. Jose said on 1/28/2012 7:22:45 AM
    Hi, I want to put up an hardware business (medium scale) in Carmona, Cavite, Philippines. Please enlighten me as to how much capital should I put up to start this kind of business in my area. Also, please advise me where and whom to contact for the stock. Should I prefer to negotiate from the manufacturer or from distributor/wholesaler? Please help me on this matter because I have no idea on how to run this kind of business. Please send your reply in my email mentioned above. Thank you so much.
  • 128. Kalyan said on 1/29/2012 3:15:41 AM
    how i find whole-sellers in Karachi, who deals in Computer Hardware specially Used Keyboards,Used Monitors,and C P U casings.
  • 129. rosario gomes said on 1/30/2012 11:28:21 AM
    Hi,i want to start an hardware business in margao industrial state India Goa.Please help me how to start and how to find the distributor and a wholesaler
  • 130. JM Beldad said on 2/6/2012 12:17:19 AM
    Hello I am from Bataan Philippines, and I am wondering how much do I need for the Investment?? could you please help me? thanks.
  • 131. tafadzwa karombo said on 2/6/2012 1:53:27 PM
    hie i'm aged 22 and i live in Zimbabwe Harare and i would like to start a hardware in Harare , i would like to know where to get the best supplies and also where to get appropriate premises.
  • 132. Dhanya said on 2/20/2012 11:23:49 AM
    Can you please suggest me which place among Mississauga, Montreal, Palo alto, Tokyo is good for starting a company for Computer Hardware Distribution Company.... I need to know the information for doing my assignment in BUSINESS.. also need the reason to choose the best location among above places and also the variables responsible for that.... Please someone reply fast..need this information fast....
  • 133. lontz said on 2/21/2012 6:10:06 AM
    I have a question... what kind of software can use for inventory of many retail items. It's SAP can applicable for retail store like hardware.. But SAP is to much expensive..
  • 134. raja said on 2/23/2012 4:18:19 AM
    I'm starting a h/ware shop in Klang M'sia any kind of sharing of ideas is most welcome.
  • 135. Abhijeet Dhage said on 2/23/2012 10:01:17 PM
    I want to start Hardware shop trading in my (India- Maharashtra) becoming an seller, please advice me where to get the contacts. Can you Please help me how find the distributor and a wholesaler. and advice me how much money require to invest.
  • 136. Geoffrey K. Menego said on 2/24/2012 11:50:47 PM
    In the process of stating a hardware business in Eldoret Town. Need a lot of advice.
  • 137. R.PRAKASH said on 2/29/2012 9:30:25 AM
    respected sir , am from India in tamilnadu i need u r idea ? i need hardware material list and cost list more detail i say building material hardware shop sir
  • 138. pradeep said on 3/3/2012 8:34:01 AM
    how much investment is required to start a hardware and plywood business.....
  • 139. kamran ali said on 3/9/2012 8:31:54 AM
    hi there, i am going to start a hardware business can you provide me the item list of hardware store. thanks
  • 140. Tan said on 3/19/2012 1:28:54 AM
    I wish to start Hardware shop trading in Malaysia - Sri Gombak, becoming an seller, please advice me where to get the contacts. Can you Please help me find the distributor and a wholesaler. and advice me how much money require to invest. I have very low capital as a start
  • 141. ronald straughter said on 3/19/2012 6:29:14 PM
    i live in cleveland ohio i want to start hardware store
  • 142. Jeff Ramsey said on 3/21/2012 4:47:47 PM
    Roaring springs Texas I am interested in opening a hardware store and I don't know how much money I will need to start roaring springs is a very small town about 200 people it is a ranching community surrounded by other towns which none have hard ware stores the town seems to be growing I am thinking of doing a hardware store feed store and small grocery store doing a combo of stores in one what wholesalers do I talk to about inventory
  • 143. edwin said on 4/15/2012 6:33:19 AM
    I am planning to start a small scale hardware shop or any other advisable business in Pune suburb (Hadapsar) Please advise and the capital required to have one. Thanks
  • 144. Dina said on 4/18/2012 2:58:32 AM
    I am thinking of opening up my own little electrical hardware store near to my resident. I have already done the registration and got the license the remaining issue is how start it and compete with others. Please advise me how to go about it and how to get it started and become popular.
  • 145. Lydiah said on 4/24/2012 7:03:35 AM
    I am planning to open a hardware store in a small village in Botswana where the competitor is more than 100km away, i need professional advice on this kind of business, how much will i need and which products/materials can i start with as a small scale business.
  • 146. bong said on 4/28/2012 10:21:25 PM
    I want to put a small hardware business herein the Phil. How much capital for this business and advice me how to negotiate the supplier or distributor.
  • 147. win said on 5/1/2012 10:51:24 AM
    i work as a technician more than 10 years, i am married and have 2 kids ,now i feel bore with my job and like to open a hardware shop in Bukit Indah, Johor, Malaysia. Pls advice that is this line suitable for status like me and how much money that i should invest. Pls also help to find the distributor and wholesaler for me. I am good in technical but no experience at all for business.
  • 148. Noy said on 5/2/2012 2:46:43 PM
    Hello, I'm noy from Iloilo, Philippines. At present I have existing business like Mini Store, selling prime commodities, and Rice store as well as lending business. I am planning to expand my business into hardware and Electrical Supply, I believe, it required a big amount of money to start this business. But since I am not hands on in this business I want to solicit your advice. How to manage this business without my presence and to avoid theft of cash or products items. What is the best way of management for this kind of business. Can you please site me some business plan for this business? Can you provide me the best supplier either Wholesaler, Manufacturer or Distributor near to my place. Thank you.
  • 149. Amalia Cortez said on 5/5/2012 11:59:07 PM
    hi, we're planning to start a hardware store but don't have idea where and how. also dont know exactly how to start this kind of business. Pls. let me know any idea including where to get good suppliers and how much is the minimum capital required in starting this business. we're located particularly in Bulacan Philippines. Thanks looking forward to hear from you soon. Amy
  • 150. Jiffry said on 5/12/2012 9:03:15 PM
    Dear sir I have a little experience in hard ware field when i complete my school i started to work in hardware stores. now I'm in fashion retail field for last 8 years so i would like to start a hard ware business as well start a store in my home town so please help me how to start from beginning or initial stage of field of hardware
  • 151. Laxmi Ravi said on 5/16/2012 3:52:24 AM
    am planning to open a hardware store in a small village in Karimnagar where the competitor is more than 30km away, i need professional advice on this kind of business, how much will i need How much capital and which products/materials can i start with as a small scale business. all Construction & Building materials.
  • 152. Raymond beginner adviser said on 5/16/2012 12:13:12 PM
    I have experience working in the home improvement sector. A "big box" store (Menards), a franchise/co-op (Ace Hardware), and for an independent company. For those that are interested in opening a big box brand store, you can't. For those that want to open a franchise/co-op (domestic or international) the process can seem intimidating but the company you are with usually helps you tremendously. For an Ace Hardware store you need $250,000 in cash/liquid assets, and $400,000 in net worth, either individually or total combined ownership. A fully independent is typically not feasible anymore today. If you do manage to start one up your costs can vary greatly depending on suppliers, items carried, categories within the store, and your location.

For a co-op expect to only make 3% or so profits after all expenses are paid. The article is wrong in stating typical store sizes. It is not 20-30k sq ft. Try right around 10-12k for your "typical" store in the USA. For international start ups, look at the brands in your area. Also many US brands have international arms/distribution centers. Any questions or comments for me, my email is OWBlackhawkHardware@gmail.com

OWBlackhawkHardware@gmail.com || Hardware Store Expert

• 153. vinod sadanand said on 6/4/2012 1:22:11 PM
    i have working in electrical field, but i want to start my own buss. of hardware. i am live in thane so how to create plan of this buss. please give me details.
  • 154. RICHARD said on 6/9/2012 6:29:54 AM
    Hello. I am an OFW who wants to start a hardware store in Liciada, Bustos, Bulacan . Could anyone send me contact details of some suppliers? Thanks!
  • 155. saran sankar said on 6/24/2012 7:19:32 AM
    Hi All, I am looking forward for setting up an Hardware and paint outlet in a small town named Palakkad in Kerala, India. I want to know how much i need to invest in Hardware items and what are all the necessary items which is required to be put up in the shop. Kindly guide me on this as i have good idea wrt Paint items.
  • 156. Arul said on 7/9/2012 1:42:13 AM
    I am planning to start hardware Shop in chennai near Tambaram. Can some one guide me.
  • 157. jitendra sasane said on 7/15/2012 5:41:58 AM
    want to start a small hardware shop in mumbai please suggest how much capital I required. I don't have experience related to this business what kind of steps I have to take to do this business smoothly. thanks Jitendra Sasane
  • 158. kumar g said on 7/21/2012 1:01:58 AM
    hi, i want to start a small paint shop in my native place in karnataka, please give me details to start and what budget i need to start in 200 sq feet area.
  • 159. joseph muchai said on 7/24/2012 4:25:00 AM
    hey i want to start a hardware business in my home country kenya.could you please send me a business plan of how to start and also a list of all the possible tools, equipments and anything else to stock my hardware with. and also the best distributors of such items.....
  • 160. bikal said on 7/26/2012 3:05:55 AM
    Hi, I want to start a retails business of hardware stores please suggest me budget of working capital
  • 161. Sohrab said on 7/28/2012 1:58:23 AM
    Hi,i am a MBA holder, doing job in a private company but i want change & interested to open a hardware shop in my village on my own land adjacent to main Transport road at Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. my nearest market from where i can purchase goods is Kolkata. Kindly advise me the Setup, growth, planning, investment, distributor, wholesaler, i have no experience to run a shop before.
  • 162. Chris Enkov said on 7/29/2012 10:19:48 PM
    Hi, we're planning to start a hardware store but don't have idea where and how. Also don't know exactly how to start this kind of business. Please, let me know any idea including where to get good suppliers and how much is the minimum capital required in starting this business. We're located particularly in Long Island City, Queens,NY. Thanks looking forward to hear from you soon. Chris
  • 163. Anand said on 7/30/2012 1:51:59 AM
    Pl z send me Hardware material list which i can store in my hardware store which is going to establish in Rahatnigoan at Pimpri chinchwad in Pune District
  • 164. Raymond beginner adviser said on 7/31/2012 1:49:25 PM
    @bikal: Contact those that you are thinking of buying from for that information.

@Sohrab: What brands/companies are in your area? In the USA we have many to choose from (Ace Hardware, Tru Value, Do It Best, etc) See what is popular and contact them.

@Chris Enkov: See what I wrote above. Ace and Tru Value are the biggest, but there are other companies, both national and regional, that would love to help you. See what brands seem popular in your area and google their corporate contact info or main website. From there contact them and discuss your plans and ask questions. Even if they seem silly to you they could end up saving you big time down the road. Also consider joining the NHRA ( www.nhra.org ), they can be a huge help as well.

@Anand: A list from one store doesn't mean it will work in another. Every store is unique. See what the demand is in your area and then go from there. NEVER have just one item of anything though. You should always carry at least 2 of anything on your shelves.

OWBlackhawkHardware@gmail.com || Hardware Store Expert

• 165. Lucy Oliveira said on 8/7/2012 12:38:58 AM
    Hi, i am Lucy i want to start a small hardware shop in my village sao jose de areal in Margao of plumbering, paints n electrical items. Please help me how to start n how to contact dealers n suppliers.In Goa
  • 166. JOSEPH CHEGE NDUNGU said on 8/10/2012 8:57:26 AM
    Hi I live in nairobi kenya i have always wanted to start a hardware business in the outskirts of nairobi in a place called kiserian where i live i have done my market servery for the same and done my capital layout and financial projections which i can send to you i have great passion to succeed and i believe in myself because i want to come out of poverty and help others my problem is capital $25000 equivalent ksh2000000 with this i can buy stock pay rent for six months and display setup advertisement and registration. thanks joe
  • 167. Ebrahim said on 8/13/2012 6:14:39 AM
    i want to start electrical hardware what r the items i should keep in shop.
  • 168. Katlego said on 8/15/2012 9:01:36 AM
    Hi. I live in Botswana. I want to start hardware business, specializing in bicycle spares, repair and maintenance. Please help me with the list of inventory i must have.
  • 169. Hanifa said on 8/16/2012 10:18:55 AM
    I want to start a hardwares (only steel TMT rods) in a village called Perambakkam near Trivellore, Tamilnadu. How much investment required and only steel rods business will work? or what type will be better. please send me a list of wholesalers, price list. I have 800 sq. ft area near the bus stand and having 3000 sq. ft at bus junction. which place could be better.
  • 170. Hanifa said on 8/16/2012 10:25:50 AM
    Business location is near the Perambakkam bus stand. There are 5000 residents and it is a business place for neighboring villages. It is located in between Arakonam and Trivellore. It is in Tamilnadu state. It is 35 km away from Poonamalli, Chennai. I had some general stores experience which my brother was owning during my college days.
  • 171. mahesh rane said on 8/19/2012 3:43:22 AM
    I want to start business of electrical goods and hardware at Roadpali, Near Kalamboli, Panvel dt Raigad ,Maharashtra.
  • 172. Rajesh ghurup said on 8/22/2012 9:43:29 AM
    I want to start hardware store business in new Mumbai. I have no idea how to start business? help . Exp: virar, Mumbai,India
  • 173. Gideon Kanyembo said on 8/24/2012 3:50:06 AM
    My business is located in Solwezi - North western Province Zambia. I want to improve my business in hardware products and become a large scale supplier of hardware products.
  • 174. vijay said on 8/24/2012 4:02:13 AM
    sir, i want to start a new paint shop in my village and how to get my register certificate and how much amt i invested in the shop?
  • 175. sunil v. katariya said on 8/28/2012 1:43:48 AM
    i am businessman in hardwareline and want to start a business in kenya & nairobi so kindly give a guidance to established in that country
  • 176. harvard said on 8/29/2012 5:23:25 PM
    i will like to know what type of computer to use in a hardware store for purchasing tool, sales etc,
  • 177. hasmukh padhiyar said on 9/3/2012 1:25:59 AM
    i had stared new H/W store in my area Nandesari GIDC vadodara, gujarat, in india 391340. please guide me thanks, hasmukh cell no-9558797053
  • 178. ambermeraj said on 9/6/2012 12:43:20 PM
    i am starting a hardware shop plz help me, place shimoga state Karnataka country india.
  • 179. shrikant Harne said on 9/8/2012 7:10:09 AM
    want to start hardware business at vadodara Gujarat with small scale. What are the fast moving in plumbing, farming and pvc piping material? What will be the investment initially?
  • 180. ricky said on 9/8/2012 9:12:00 PM
    i am planning to open a paint, plywood and hardware store in suburbs of my town....do u think i can start it without experience by hiring a trained staff...and there is a big paint, hardware store a bit near do u think it will affect my business.....
  • 181. prabhakar said on 9/12/2012 5:02:13 AM
    sir i want to start a small agri. shop of cultivators as a trader in ambala. Please suggest me what are the documents required to open that shop. Regards, Prabhakar
  • 182. sujnan said on 9/24/2012 6:12:23 AM
    i want to open a plumber shop(pipes, tapes, sanetery item , pumps). i am from balangir orissa, india. pl guide me
  • 183. P G Selvaraj said on 10/6/2012 1:32:53 PM
    I would like to start hardware shop at Ambattue .Chennai India. Can you suggest me weather its good business idea? List of materials to be keep in stock?
  • 184. yolandie said on 10/9/2012 7:47:33 AM
    Hi, Sir I would like to start my own hardware shop. I would like a list of materials to be keep in stock? Thank you!
  • 185. Rahul Borkar said on 10/12/2012 2:05:37 PM
    I want to start Hardware & Electrical shop, how to start & How much minimum investment in small city i have, cos. i have no idea how to start
  • 186. carlos said on 10/15/2012 1:15:05 PM
    hi, i want to open small hardware, on manhattan new york, well i am very good experiences on hardware, i am looking for partner, cause i dont have all money what we need to start. if you want please email me we can get in
  • 187. Uma Maheswara Rao Kola said on 10/28/2012 9:16:09 AM
    Sir, I am having resources to start a hardware shop in a place near the City of Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh. But I am not aware of sources that are available to get standard items that are used in building construction activity. Please advise me to start business in area of 300-500 Sq.ft and the formalities that are to be followed to start a business like new entrant into the field. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
  • 188. maria mercado said on 10/30/2012 4:47:12 AM
    i plan to open a small hardware in our place but i dont have an idea where i start. here in the philippines. how much a capital do i have and the best wholesaler where i contact. what is the first thing i do.
  • 189. Pride said on 11/2/2012 10:57:16 AM
    I would like to open a hardware store in Durban. Which wholesalers can best supply me. What assistance can I get regarding items that form a basis of a hardware store (small in size).
  • 190. saadjami said on 11/12/2012 5:25:00 PM
    i am in usa. and i like to open hardware store in n.africa. tunisia. pls. give me some advice. thank you
  • 191. Tala said on 12/5/2012 10:36:43 PM
    I would like to seek for advice regarding to put up a hardware business in my small town in southern Philippines. Can you pls give me some contact numbers of the suppliers of hardware supplies? Tnx
  • 192. Mswankile Zithutha said on 12/7/2012 4:10:51 AM
    I want to start a hardware store and I dont know where to start please help me.
  • 193. sree said on 12/13/2012 3:06:21 AM
    HI am 27 years old guy from kerala. am planning to start a building materials shop at kerala. please give some idea.
  • 194. Rajneesh R sharma said on 12/15/2012 1:17:37 PM
    hi i am rajneesh sharma. i am 23 yrs old. i want to start hardware and plywood retail shop so that's why i want some ideas and how to develop it quickly, also i want to tell u my father profession is furniture contractor and he is working in this field last 35 yrs and also i know that so pls suggest & guide me.
  • 195. muhammad iqbal said on 12/20/2012 5:40:05 PM
    Hi. My name is Muhammad. I used to run 4 convenience stores since 2000. I have now sold all these and have purchased a large building based in Leicester. It is 6000sq ft. The building is situation in a busy main road shopping area. There is a college nearby and various other shops and restaurants. I intend to convert this building into a hardware store/plumbing/electrical. I have decided to join a company who will supply the goods for my store. As I have never entered into such a contract, like joining this company, please could you give me an idea of where to order such goods from or whether it is a good idea to join such a company. Thanks for your time!
  • 196. anand said on 12/22/2012 1:09:00 AM
    planing to start hardware store. i have land around 1000 sf area where i am going to build a shop and home above. but my only confusion is that the place is some what away from main market. is it ok to go for it
  • 197. Satish Patel said on 12/31/2012 4:10:41 AM
    HI am 42 years am planning to start a building materials shop at mumbai, my experience 15 year tiles & building materials in gujarat, i am interested in stat in mumbai business please give some idea.
  • 198. Thabo Magaga said on 1/2/2013 12:14:40 PM
    I would like to open a hardware store in my locality of Tsomo in the Eastern Cape, How can I go on opening it, how much capital is needed please help
  • 199. Raphael Lukapa said on 1/4/2013 3:38:22 PM
    am writing from Zambia, Africa. i would like to know to write a business plan for a small hardware store.
  • 200. Hamza Fakhri said on 1/8/2013 1:40:43 AM
    Hello i am b.com graduate so i starting a hardware and tools store in morbi- 2 but their. Are huge competition and about 95% sales are debit in ceramic industry and i start new business so how can i start my new retail business ?