Build your Own Aquaponics System
Aquaponics system is certainly considered as a process that combines hydroponics and aquaculture. It simply acts as a real eco system wherein the bacteria deals with the fish waste that comes from the nitrites and later then absorbed by plants.
The plants are now responsible in cleaning the water to where the fish can benefit from it.
In this article, you can learn on how to build your own aquaponics system along with its requirements. Remember that having this system is essential as it provides a sustainable production of traditional foods such as fish, crayfish, snails and plants in a symbiotic environment.
Choosing the Right Location for an Aquaponics System
The right location comes as the number one priority in building your own system. It has its significant role to play for the plants to grow well. Shelter them from cold, high and extreme temperature while they get enough sunlight in order to grow. Set up all the components you need after you have chosen the right location.
Plants and Fish to Grow in your Own Aquaponics System
Apart from the right location, the next thing to consider is to choose plants that can thrive well in the system. Two of the best plants that can be cultivated in the system are herbs and leafy greens. These plants are allowed to grow lush foliage because of the fish waste that acts as a fertilizer.
Additionally, choose leafy plants like spinach, herbs, lettuce, basil, chives, watercress and bok choy as they can flourish in your own aquaponics system. They relatively contain low nutritional requirements perfect for the system itself. Vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers must be cultivated in a well-established and heavily stocked aquaponics system. Only root crops are among the plants that do not respond in the system.
Tilapia, on the other hand, is highly resistant to fluctuating conditions such as changes in temperature, oxygen, pH and dissolved liquids. A high demand is there in tilapia to most restaurants and markets. Therefore, it is wise to choose tilapia that can be grown in the aquaponics system. Other fish species to choose for include Arctic chair, cod, bass, perch and trout.
Water as the Major Component of Aquaponics System
After you have chosen the plants and fishes, remember that water acts as the major component of aquaponics system. Carefully monitor the pH level of the water in order to determine its acidity. Testing equipment is vital to ensure that both plants and fishes can remain healthy. Also pay attention to carbon dioxide, dissolved oxygen, nitrate, chlorine and nitrite that goes on with the water. Careful monitoring is also necessary when it comes on the growth rate, density, amount of feed of the fish.
Other Living Materials That Must Be Provided
Once you have already completed them all, you need to provide for other living materials. For example, bio filters can act as filter pollutants as it facilitate the normal conversion of waste products and ammonia. Additionally, gravel may also act as a bioreactor that is responsible in carrying out chemical processes in living organisms. With gravel, dissolved solids can be removed while a place is provided in nitrifying bacteria that can be converted into plant nutrients.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
- How does Poverty Affect the Business
- Planning a Business Open House
- Planning a Business Exit Strategy
- Planning a Business Grand Opening
- Planning a Business Retreat
- Types of Business Objectives
- How to Increase Hospital Revenue
- How are Businesses Interdependent
- Changes in Business Practices
- Personal Training Marketing Strategies
- Lowering Prices to Increase Revenue
- How Grocery Stores Set Prices?