Starting a Bodyguard Business

Thinking of starting your own business? Don’t know if the bodyguard business is really for you? Interested in breaking the bodyguard business industry? Want to open that bodyguard business but don’t know where to start? I give you some basic steps that might pave your way in opening that bodyguard business.

According to the American Society of Industrial Security, studies have shown that there is an increasing demand for security services during the past years especially after the tragic day of 9/11. With this increasing demand for security services, starting your own security service business has become a pretty good idea. If you’re interested in the bodyguard business, then where do you start?

Bodyguard Business: Where do you start?

First, determine what kind of security service you want to provide. Is it only the executive protection or bodyguard services? Or also other security services such as patrolling and security staff?

Second, determine the license and permit requirements in your state. Some states, like in California, require that the manager of a security service undergo an oral and written test is required together with a criminal background check. Also, research if your employees themselves need a specific permit or license to work in a bodyguard business. Some states require that bodyguards receive at least 40 hours of training, with 8 hours of continuing security education yearly, with complete background check and license fee. Carrying firearms also require a special permit.

Third, determine your bodyguard business start up cost. Reports have shown that depending on the equipment, costs of training, permits and licenses location and advertisements, starting a bodyguard business require around $10,000 to $50,000. Fourth, once you have secured your capital and staked out the needed licenses, you are ready to hire. It is a good idea to advertise in different police departments. Make sure that the people you hire possess the necessary training in giving executive protection. Try to hire people that would match up to the needed requirements for your permits. Background government service training, either in military, or law-enforcement is definitely a plus. At the outset, outline what your employees are required to do. Create a company policy. Also consider getting insurance coverage. This may cost a little but considering you’re entering into a high risk business, insurance is not such a bad idea. Besides, some states actually require that you have insurance before you can operate a bodyguard business.

Training: It’s a Must in the Bodyguard Business

Even if you manage to land the top police officers or military-trained people, training is still the most important thing that you should focus upon. Skills taught by the police and the military, though helpful, are not enough to provide quality security services. Bodyguards must acquaint themselves with martial arts, skills in surveillance, risk examination and advance work on the locations your client are going into. Since the bodyguard business is a services business, you’ve got no business if there are no quality services to provide.

• 1. Corbin May said on 10/3/2009 3:36:08 PM
    Dear Sir, I am interested in starting a close protection business within the state of Oregon. Although I would like to provide services to other states and possibly the Defense Department. In this day and age I have found it difficult to find out "how" to begin this task. Any assistance from you on this matter would help. Thank you for your time and for the information within this site. I have enclosed an email site where I can be reached. Thank you, sincerely, Corbin May
  • 2. bashru rahmani said on 10/7/2009 10:30:32 AM
    send info on bodyguard business, please..
  • 3. rob harris said on 10/17/2009 6:26:48 PM
    i was wanting to start a bodyguard business in the state of ohio. need information on who i need to contact about what licenses i need & a good way to get my name out there. thank you
  • 4. Tikhulu said on 10/29/2009 8:47:55 AM
    Dear sir I'm concerned about the safety of football fans who are coming for the 2010 soccer world in my country. I want to provide close protection for individuals and group of some of these supporters. Crime is rife here so please send me info and tips for starting such business
  • 5. marc harris said on 11/9/2009 10:58:27 PM
    Hi, I am interested in starting my own close protection business. I believe you would have to contact your local state department licensing department. There is an exam you have to take. And you also need insurance. I am calling tomorrow to find out how much insurance you need. I will let you guys know all of the info I find out.
  • 6. Matthew said on 11/10/2009 4:19:31 PM
    please i want to start a bodyguard business in my country. Kindly send me details on the risks and advantages and where to begin to make it a success..
  • 7. oluwasegun apara said on 11/26/2009 7:12:53 AM
    i will like you to send me details on how to standout in the security world and also to know what to do or steps to take in setting up a new security outfit in my country. lagos, nigeria, 23401
  • 8. Keith Harvey said on 3/4/2010 7:04:51 PM
    I am interested in starting a bodyguard business in Los Angeles, Ca.
  • 9. Travis Sanders said on 5/19/2010 9:16:03 PM
    I am interesting in starting a security services company in Charlotte and would like more information.
  • 10. Joe Fox said on 6/3/2010 9:57:43 PM
    Hello sir, I have already started a security company in Colorado Springs Co, and I am looking to break into the close protection or bodyguard portion of this buisness, with a client already looking to use our service. I am interested in the licensing requirements. Are my license here in Colorado reciprocal or do I need to get a business licenses and security license in each state I plan on working in. Also any help on marketing or building a client base would be good help. Thanks
  • 11. Les Gore said on 6/5/2010 11:40:19 AM
    I am looking to set up a close protection company and was wondering if you could send me further information on how to start up. England
  • 12. james ring said on 6/5/2010 2:35:06 PM
    hi sir, i would like open up close protection company, i know 3 or 4 ex para soldiers who wants to work for me. how do you find the work for the guys. what licenses do i need. my guys are the best of the best being soldiers. and there did bit close protection overseas with the army i what open my close protection company by next month. can you help me thanks
  • 13. Nicolas said on 6/28/2010 3:52:45 PM
    I would like to start a bodyguard business in Frederick, Md. Could you send me some information?
  • 14. Baraka said on 7/11/2010 12:48:22 PM
    Hi there sir, i was looking forward to start a bodyguard business(security services)in my country which is TANZANIA. it's a future goal. sir i really love this business. "HOW MUCH DO U THINK IT WILL COST ME?" thank
  • 15. ASHEY said on 7/29/2010 1:11:05 PM
    Is there anyone who can help me in setting up a bodyguard firm in Miami Fl 33180
  • 16. Brad said on 9/15/2010 9:29:06 PM
    I am intending on beginning a close protection, security services business in Florida. I am researching what licenses, permits, etc. one would need to be professional and legit. Thanks for the help!
  • 17. Sean Todd said on 9/21/2010 5:57:12 AM
    Bodyguard for hire email me for resume. military experience USMC RECON. looking to work anywhere in the southern california area. sean Todd, seantodd1089@aol.com
  • 18. Jane said on 11/30/2010 8:12:11 PM
    Hello, My intentions are to open a Bodyguard Agency in GA. (ASAP) I have access to celebrity clients I would like to know what licenses; permits, etc. are pertinent to making my business official. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Jane
  • 19. jorge feliciano said on 1/30/2011 5:48:42 AM
    hello does nys have any info if i need a license for becoming a bodyguard if not what would i need to start my own have ex armed security full carry pistol permits nys florida and connecticut
  • 20. charlie akushika said on 2/8/2011 3:32:15 AM
    i need help to start bodyguard security company in namibia
  • 21. Todd Fox said on 5/28/2011 10:35:38 AM
    Hello! I am very interested in starting an executive protection and patrol security in NY and VA! Please forward any info you may have. I have Military and Corrections experience. Thank You, Sincerely Todd Fox
  • 22. zach benda said on 7/3/2011 7:48:14 PM
    Dear sir, I am wanting to start a personal protection company in missouri would like to see if it could help point me to how to find out about licensing permits ext.
  • 23. Eddie said on 8/8/2011 3:34:22 AM
    I would appreciate information on starting a bodyguard and protection services in colorado springs, Colorado. I would like as much information as possible. The services I would provide would be armed and unarmed protection. I have the people with military background and training I just need the first steps to start. Thanks
  • 24. william warren said on 8/9/2011 5:49:28 PM
    I would like information on starting a body guard services for the city of Detroit michigan..I was told by the commercial licensing division that I wouldn't need a license to be a bodyguard. So in that note do I need just insurance or bonding? Please send info on what direction I need to go ...thank u
  • 25. Elizabeth Cummings said on 9/12/2011 9:31:52 PM
    I am interested in starting a Bodyguard/Security Company in Erie PA, what licensing and insurance do i need to get started and how do i get bonded. Please send me information on the direction i need to go.
  • 26. MEL CLARK said on 11/2/2011 4:56:27 PM
    HANNIBAL, MISSOURI AND USA IS THERE ANYMORE THAN A BIZ LICENSE NEEDED
  • 27. terry hall said on 1/15/2012 10:25:40 PM
    I am interested in starting a bodyguard/security company in Denver, Co.
  • 28. gail martin said on 2/8/2012 2:19:12 AM
    I am interested in having a bodyguard company starting with 3 men for my sons singing tours
  • 29. evan mendoza said on 3/18/2012 6:49:33 PM
    I'm interested in starting a bodyguard company in Connecticut what do i need to know
  • 30. prashant said on 3/21/2012 2:11:29 AM
    i am indian. I am interested in starting a bodyguard/security company at haridwar in uttrakhand.pls give me best advice .
  • 31. Dintle said on 4/13/2012 9:21:55 AM
    Am in Botswana and i love security work. I would like to start a bodyguard business please assist me with ideas!
  • 32. Bill said on 7/15/2012 11:16:41 AM
    Am interested in starting a security co. in pa. Am near pgh pa. What licensing requirements are needed? Is pi license required?
  • 33. Justin said on 11/14/2012 3:41:57 AM
    I am in Hollywood California and want to start a small firm of 10 to 15 guys for exec. parties and celebrity security etc. All of us are fluent in advanced martial arts, and are currently employed as guards by a large security co. in L.A. I have over 10 years experience as a guard and still don't know the real "first step" It is very complicated in CA.
  • 34. Lee said on 11/24/2012 10:27:23 PM
    A friend of mine is a UFC trainer and a few months ago asked if I'd like to start a business with him in close protection/bodyguard, I would like any info you could send I.e costs, qualifications needed Etc and any other advice you can offer, we are based in England. I would be grateful of any advice. Thanks in advance, Lee
  • 35. Lauren brown said on 11/26/2012 11:02:30 AM
    Hello, I am looking to start a bodyguard business to go along with my chauffeur business in SC, what training and is a special license required in the state of SC? Thank you, Lauren
  • 36. Austin long said on 12/14/2012 2:15:39 PM
    Hello ,I want to start a bodyguard business in Alabama if your able to help me start please
  • 37. Christian Molotsi said on 1/31/2013 3:15:04 AM
    I am in Bloemfontein (FREE STATE) South Africa and I want to start a small close cooperative bodyguard business. Currently I am employed at Local Municipality as Bodyguard and also as Chief of security. I have a VIP Protection certificate in theory and Bodyguarding certificate in practicals, I would be very grateful for your assistance in these matter I have. I am looking forward for your respond anytime soon.
  • 38. G. Lamont Davis said on 2/2/2013 7:01:33 PM
    Hello, I currently work as a Private Investigator in the state of North Carolina. I work details of Executive Protection with the company I work with. I also work as a bouncer at some clubs and it's been asked to me about doing bodyguard work as a profession. So my question is, what should I do about doing so, I have the clients that call me when coming in town but I want to be able to do it but I want to have the ability to work with them on a better level other than through the club and work directly with them on the Close Protection level. Thanks in advance Lamont
  • 39. alexander pena said on 4/8/2013 12:59:12 PM
    hi every one pc we all in some can of way we are in the same interest of info. please feel free to get in contact with me so we can help each others with this business. i will let you know what i know & you let me know what you know. my e-mail is;alexpena4444@yahoo.com. plz. serous people only there is no time to waste. thank you.
  • 40. mike thomas said on 4/16/2013 4:44:17 PM
    I am interested in starting a personal protection service in Denver. What license do I need?
  • 41. Will said on 4/19/2013 6:43:32 PM
    I have started the process of my EP firm but I am hesitant about which licenses I need and if I am going to be working in multiple cities and states do I need licenses there as well? San Diego, CA
  • 42. TONY SUMMERLIN said on 5/29/2013 3:35:39 PM
    I WOULD LIKE TO START A CLOSE PROTECTION SERVICE IN NC ANY INFO WOULD BE A GREAT SERVICE. THANK YOU TONY
  • 43. jake pence said on 6/9/2013 6:06:14 PM
    Want to start company in Wilmington, NC need help
  • 44. Karl de la Guerra, PPS, CLSS said on 7/10/2013 2:27:39 AM
    It seems there are many inquiries here from North Carolina. As Chairman and CEO at Karl de la Guerra, Inc. I head a protective services consortium in the Charlotte area. With 34 years in this industry (military, law enforcement, international corporate security management), I am more than happy to provide advise and guidance to those seeking information on executive protection. 704-607-8762
  • 45. Carol Velasco said on 11/15/2013 7:20:45 PM
    Trying to get ideas for new start up business in corporate security including but not limited to body guard including cyber security and corporate crime. Utilizing highly trained individuals. What kind of return does this type of business expect
  • 46. Kamran said on 11/17/2013 9:55:21 PM
    How do I set up a body guarding business can you email me from uk
  • 47. john perry said on 12/11/2013 8:08:56 AM
    i want to start a security/bodyguard business in fla, how do I go about it
  • 48. Roedolf Thomas said on 2/25/2014 3:03:43 PM
    My knowledge and experience, national and international as CPO and Tactical Team Captain for the past 11 years is avail. I'm base in South-Africa. Email:cpoprotection2@gmail.com
  • 49. jinitchaudhary said on 4/23/2014 11:06:19 PM
    I open my bodyguard business in india but I don't know how its start where I go and apply plz give me some advise about process of it
  • 50. David C Gaus said on 5/31/2014 10:49:18 AM
    I would like to Start Personal Protection Bodyguard Investigation business ..Virgina
  • 51. jaycen murfin said on 6/9/2014 9:18:36 PM
    i am interested in starting an executive protection business and security company in southeren indiana. i already have a company with multiple clients interested in my services. i will also be providing security for venues and private areas for the same clients. i have years of law enforcement experience, swat, close protection work on low, med, and high risk principals. i need assistance with the business startup. thanks
  • 52. Junior said on 12/20/2014 9:22:43 PM
    Hello, I am looking to start a bodyguard/security businesses in California and would like to know about some information about the requirements and/or get pointed towards the right direction in search of that.
  • 53. Jason wilson said on 2/28/2015 3:02:14 PM
    I'm interested in starting a bodyguard business in Dallas, TX. .. please send info...
  • 54. Dannte eskew said on 3/13/2015 9:14:49 PM
    Hello how are you. I am a EP specialist from Ohio and was offered a contract to protect a dignitary coming to my city. I was asked to provide a relief Close Protection detail of 6 trained operators. I have the men but don't know where to go from here. I would appreciate any information you give. Thank you
  • 55. Johnnyrhette Harris said on 3/18/2015 10:36:14 AM
    Hello, I am interested in starting a close protection business within the state of Maryland. I would like to provide services to other states as well. Any information would helpful. Thank you
  • 56. Banu Gowda said on 6/15/2015 1:10:20 AM
    Hello, I would like to start security business in Bangalore city which is in Karnataka, India. Please could you help me with some more info
  • 57. Matt said on 7/23/2015 12:52:36 PM
    I am interested in starting a bodyguard business in Memphis Tn can you send me details on the best way to start and be successful
  • 58. Larry said on 8/16/2015 3:37:44 PM
    I just retired from the Fire Department and I have my CCW, I was offered a job from a big time Jeweler I have gone with him a few times to Downtown LA with his driver, he carry's a few million with him at a time, I told him I'm just a friend riding with him, I have never said I'm a Security Guard, the pay is well and he pays for my CCW insurance and the extra Lawyer fee's, is this legal? or should I get a Security Guard card?
  • 59. Demietrius Richardson said on 11/18/2015 1:09:49 AM
    I would like to start my own close/personal protection company in LA for celebrities I have a inside track. Can u send me more info and my next steps?
  • 60. Mr. Lawrence West said on 1/2/2016 11:43:38 AM
    I am interested in staring my own, bodyguard, security company please send all in info.Concerning this.
  • 61. Abraham said on 2/3/2016 2:16:05 PM
    Dear Sirs, I am interested in starting my own business which will include a total of eleven different types of business and one of them will be in the executive protection area for the protection of my employees and family members. Would you please assist me in the complete process for the executive protection firm for all fifty states and international nations, to include conceal carry weapons licenses. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you for your time and consideration. With Warmest Regards, Apelaham
  • 62. robert hlojane said on 8/24/2016 4:35:52 PM
    hi my name is hlojane Robert residing in joburg south Africa am in a stage where I want to open up a bodyguard agency the problem is that I don't know where to begin...can anyone be of my assistance. reguards: Robert Hlojane
  • 63. John Ritchie said on 10/19/2016 9:47:21 PM
    Dear sir, Could you send me info regarding opening a one man bodyguard service in Mass. Thank You