How to Start Hair Salon Business

Styling hair is one of those things that many girls are getting interested to.

Hair salons oftentimes are full of female customers who want to have their new hairstyle. Thus, starting a hair salon business is a profitable business.

It is said that the hair is the crowning glory of every woman. Yet, this also applies to men because there are men who are vane. However, women are the frequent customers of many hair salon especially those who love hair styling. If you love to do hair styling you can share to others your passion by opening a hair salon business. Operating a hair salon business is easy as long as you have careful planning.

How to Plan For a Hair Salon Business?

The initial step that you should do is to establish the needed capital in opening the business. There are lots of factors to consider in gathering the start up capital. You need to consider the location and specialization. Before you attempt to start the business make sure to assess first your financial stability. Once you have the capital, the next thing you should pay attention is the paper works. This is important because you cannot start the operation of business unless you secure all the necessary licenses and permits. You need to check with the local agencies and bureaus for the operating licenses required. Meeting all the deadlines would spare you from delaying of operation of your business.

Definitely, you need to select the most profitable location of your hair salon. Choose location where you can attract most customers. As much as possible do not open a business in a saturated area with the same business. In like manner, determining the specialty of your salon is crucial. The theme of your salon is one factor to attract customers. This means that you need to identify your target market so that you can determine the appropriate services. Developing and planning of policies is also necessary so that you can visualize what you want your business be. If you can ask advice from salon owners who have been successful in their business will also help in starting the business.

When hiring employees, see to it that your personnel are licensed to do the job. Keep in mind that your business is all about being beautiful that is why you should ensure that the customers will go out of your salon with smile in their face. Another thing that would involve money is the seating of your salon. Definitely, you need to buy equipment and you can easily do that by browsing online. You can look for deals online and save some amount of money. Decorating your hair salon is another basis to attract customers. Make sure that everything is organized. Finally, start your business with a grand opening.

• 1. maggie moodley said on 7/24/2012 5:59:13 AM
    Hi I have worked for 22 years @ a salon in an international hotel in durban south africa. I have 2 kids and I want to be more relaxed and would like to teach and empower people especially abused women to do hair and maybe basic beauty. I do not have the funds as I wasted my life in my previous job making my boss rich. I walked out with no money except unemployment. Please can u assist me I'm starting a business for hair and beauty. I will always want to empower women which is my goal @ no cost and I do have the premises available. I'm in durban south africa.
  • 2. FINEDAB said on 2/27/2013 6:24:32 AM
    I will be opening my salon soon in Nigeria duo its a small place and sometimes I get scared cos there are lot of salon in my area but with ur tips I think I feel much better pls I need ur help 4 more tips and encouragement thnx
  • 3. Lebogang Mahlangu said on 4/6/2013 1:25:04 AM
    this is djflow-max guys i want to start a small hair salon so i don't have money to buy equipment any 1 who want to help pls
  • 4. takalani nemavhola said on 4/20/2013 7:24:49 AM
    hi i want to start my own salon, but i don't have enough capital, i need a partner who stays around gauteng in south Africa who can help me with the business, i stay in Pretoria so i need someone who is very serious. if you are interested you can contact me on taky.nemza@gmail.com or 0723447067
  • 5. Nosipho Gwicana said on 7/16/2013 6:01:36 AM
    Dear Sir/Madam, I am deaf and limp married. Now I have hair salon home at Khayelitsha in Cape Town, but it does not work electricity and hot water. I cannot afford to pay for repair it because I am current unemployed. And I need money to buy hair products, salon equipments, more. Please great help me. Contact me at 0799604794 (SMS) and nd.gwicana@gmail.com, Thanks
  • 6. caroline said on 6/3/2014 9:53:22 PM
    Hi I love working with peoples hair but I don't have money to go to an academy I really wanna start my own business small thou at home please I really need help and advise I'm unemployed and I need to do training from home
  • 7. Asanda said on 9/12/2014 9:23:18 AM
    Hi, I'm a young lady who lives in south africa in durban , very ambitious and have a heart for business , at this point I'm planning to open a salon and I would love to get help from other successful business people or woman , I have capital but would love to get guidance . Your help is much appreciated. Kind regards Asanda W
  • 8. matlhodi said on 9/13/2014 4:07:00 PM
    hi, i would like to open a salon, what are the requirements to get a license
  • 9. Dorcas said on 1/16/2015 2:30:29 PM
    I need R2500 to open a small salon at home in Qwaqwa please i really need help
  • 10. Nothando said on 8/24/2015 5:49:58 AM
    hi i really want to open a salon please advise what requirements are need to get a license and other paperwork
  • 11. ruby said on 1/21/2016 6:41:33 AM
    Help me with a business plan for a hair and beauty salon. And when do i register my business. Will a franchise be a better option and where and how do I buy a franchise in South Africa?
  • 12. zelda said on 1/27/2016 6:09:11 AM
    hi I'm looking for financial aid to open a hairdresser where also teach youth to do hair. I wrote my own business plan but don't know where to register a hair salon. I would really appreciate your advice
  • 13. Nombuso said on 1/30/2016 1:14:28 PM
    Hi, my name is Nombuso from Durban, South Africa and very ambitious and focused. I have been planning to open my Haidressing Salon for 5 years but have been working as a hairdresser for 14 years now, i'm very thankful i for this page, it really inspiring to read other people's stories and difficult to start up a business but i'm not giving up. I was born for this business Thanks alot!
  • 14. Nelisiwe said on 5/14/2016 11:55:11 AM
    Hi I am Nelisiwe from Gauteng Johannesburg, I would like to open my own Salon. I have some saved up startup capital and need advice on how to go about regarding legal requirements and and other important stuff.
  • 15. dakalo said on 6/9/2016 5:59:39 AM
    Hi i am dk . I want to start a saloon at springs , currently I just plant people hair and I have so many customers so I think if I can open a saloon I will be successful , I need capital to buy materials
  • 16. Phelo said on 2/10/2017 1:44:05 PM
    Hy hy I am interested in opening my own salon. I do even go to check for places but I need starting materials I know I will do it. please help my adress is 10 Pitham place Cato manor 4091 email phelokazijijwa@gmail.com thank you
  • 17. ML Mokwena beginner adviser said on 3/26/2017 10:43:54 AM
    @dakalo, how are you. How far are you with your idea? Do you still need assistance, if you do please contact me on mlmokwena@yahoo.com so we can have a detailed discussion

mlmokwena@yahoo.com || Salon Business Adviser