Start a Makeup Company
Wanting to look great is common to people. One way to do this is to use makeup to improve one’s appearance or highlight physical attributes. Thinking of starting a makeup company? Read from our guide how you can own a makeup business, and how to succeed in the highly competitive cosmetics industry landscape.
Makeups are products categorized under cosmetics. These substances used to improve facial appearance.
In recent age, the market for makeups is increasingly becoming younger and the products more varied. With everyone wanting to look great, there is always an opportunity for anyone to start a makeup company.
Becoming a Makeup Manufacturer or Distributor
You can start a makeup company either by selling or making makeup products like lipstick, mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, foundation, or powder. To sell makeup products, you can contact a makeup manufacturer that has no distribution yet in your area and propose to become its representative or distributor. Alternatively, you can produce makeups under your label. It may appear complicated and capital intensive to start one. This may be true if you will be putting up a “processing” plant, but you can skip the part of having to buy or lease land and purchase equipment for a facility by hiring a contract manufacturer.
A contract manufacturer can produce your makeup formula, design a label for the product and package it for distribution. Because of economies of scale, contract manufacturers can make products at a cost lower than that of a startup manufacturer. And the good news is, cosmetics items can usually be sold at several times their original manufacturing price. You can sell them through small retail stores on consignments, at kiosks in malls, in your house, or in a rented space.
Makeup Company Startup Tips
- The cosmetics market is a highly competitive environment to operate in. Put considerable effort in advertising your products through television, radio, posters (especially in malls), magazines (especially fashion and beauty ones, as well as those targeting women and girls), offer free make over demos, packaging, and catalogs.
- Sometimes what it takes to succeed in the business is just a twist to an existing product. That is why there came up flavoured lipsticks and glosses as well as glittery eyeshadows. Think up of a novel idea for your own label. Who knows it just might capture the interest of a wide market.
- There is a growing interest by consumers away from substances with ingredients derived from petroleum towards all-natural cosmetics. You can specialize in serving a niche market comprising of those who prefer products with non-synthetic ingredients.
Looking for a book on cosmetics manufacture? Visit www.chipsbooks.com.
For color cosmetics supply, retail and wholesale, visit MakingCosmetics.com Inc. The company sells natural and manufactured ingredients used in making cosmetics as well as packaging supplies, containers, and cosmetic-making equipment.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides