Permits Needed to Open a Restaurant

: If you want to open a restaurant, there are some things that you should comply with in order to operate a legitimate business. You will need the following - business license, food handler’s permit, liquor license, sign permit, music license, and fire certificates.

Visit the concerned offices in your area today, pay the fees, and submit the paperwork.

Different Permits Needed for Opening a Restaurant

Running a restaurant business is no joke. You should be aware that you need a lot of licenses and permits to keep things legal. These requirements usually vary from one country to another. In some countries, business registration is a necessity. You will have to register for the initial year of operation and for the succeeding years, you will have to renew annually. In some places, registration is no longer needed especially when the business is not incorporated or if you’re not using a fictitious name for the business.

Visit the local city or county clerk. There you can find the needed information about permits and licenses. Aside from these things, you will need to check the sign regulations and zoning ordinances in order to comply accordingly. If the business is US-based, you will need to secure an EIN or Employer Identification Number with the IRS. This is identification that you are a business owner. Here are some of the things you need to secure – business license, food handler’s permit, liquor license, sign permit, music license, and fire certificates.

Business License, Food Handlers, Etc

Almost all countries require a business license. Depending on your location, the government might oblige you to pay a certain percentage of the yearly gross sales or pay a certain fee for the business operation. You can consult with the city clerk for this license. Consult with the health inspectors in your area about the Food Handler’s Permit. This is important to make sure that you will be selling edible goods. This will also make your restaurant more attractive and a safe choice for people. Do you have plans of selling liquor in the restaurant? If you do, you will need to apply for a liquor license. The license will be based on the alcohol beverages that you’re planning to sell. This is renewable every year.

To put up signs outside the establishment, you will need a sign permit. Check the restrictions with location, size, and sign to avoid problems. Most restaurants these days provide music to entertain customers. This is vital for those with a Karaoke, DJs, or bands. Get a license or you can be penalized. The fire department should inspect the premises to check if you have fire exits and comply with other requirements. To get this, you will need to secure a permit from the police, seller’s permit, and zoning. You should be reminded that laws and regulations usually vary from place to place. With the right knowledge, you can run a legit business.


  • jain said on August 17, 2010
    we want to set up a hotel in Amritsar Punjab. what type of the legal and statutory approvals has to be obtained plz give us the list of that approvals
  • estelle nap said on December 27, 2010
    I want to open a African restaurant in New York I want to serve wine but not beer what kind of permit do I need.
  • Elisabeth Desir said on January 24, 2011
    I want to open a Haitian's restaurant where only soft drinks will be serve, I would like to know what kind of permit would I need?
  • Lesrick Rowe said on February 9, 2011
    I Want to open a jamaican restaurant in maryland, only soft drink will be served, i would like to know what kind of permit would i need?
  • Tyi Hakeem said on April 25, 2011
    i want to sell smoothies, Teas & sandwiches within my spa. what permits will i need & do i have to have some sort of wall separating spa from food?
  • sunil shukla said on May 9, 2011
    Dear Sir/Madam, I want to start catering services in corporate sector in NCR (India). Pls advise what basic license is required? Thanks & Best Regards. Sunil Shukla
  • biswas said on October 31, 2011
    i want to open a restaurant (no alcohol) in north delhi, delhi, india ,...what are the license and paper requirements for this purpose... please advice
  • jacquline said on November 8, 2011
    why do we need to go through so many process to start just a small business, what the benefit in that..... who is getting all those benefit
  • carlos said on January 7, 2012
    i want to open a sushi take out what permits do i need?
  • chandra said on January 19, 2013
    i want to establish a restaurant in india(banglore)what are the permissions required and which department. Please share the indepth information on it. Thanks, Chandra.
  • CHENG said on May 18, 2013
  • seth said on June 2, 2013
    i want to establish hotel with rooms, restaurant, bar and room service in punjab please guide me guidelines of laws and licenses
  • Rishi Baweja said on July 2, 2013
    Hi, I am planning to open a fast food (non alcoholic)restaurant in delhi. What all license and permits are required to open restaurant. And what is cost for these license and permits. Regards, Rishi Baweja
  • Josephine said on July 21, 2013
    Hello, i am planning to open an african restaurant in baltimore county 21234 or 21236, Maryland US serving soft and mixed (fruit) drinks. How do I start and what kind of permit and licenses do I need? Thanks in anticipation.
  • sijo said on September 13, 2013
    i am panning to start restaurant in INDIA ,punjab ,jalandhar, what are the permits required ,what are the laws i follow?
  • Lori Thornton said on December 30, 2013
    I want to start up a primitive gift shop, plus sell nostalgic wrapped candies from a vendor. I also was thinking of having a small corner for coffees. What kind of permits, license, EID # or any other requirements do I need, please. Thank You, Lori
  • m,, said on April 25, 2014
    I am planning to open a fast food (non alcoholic)
  • Nidhi said on November 26, 2014
    I am to open a food joint in a commercial place in greater noida an dam planning to keep it open 24*7. What are the permits that i require for the same. Also please tell me if there is any special permit that needs to be taken for 24 hour operation.
  • Pritpal singh said on June 13, 2015
    I want to open up an restaurant. near fatehgarh sahib ,Punjab India. kindly send me directions and suggestions if you can.. thanku


    (All the above fields are required.)