How to Obtain a Liquor License

If you're interested in selling liquor, you should know that you need to secure a license first, or you Will face serious legal issues. Pick the license you need, like a full-on or temporary one.

The terms, conditions, and requirements usually vary from one place to another; if you simply do your homework, you can accomplish tasks with ease.

liquir store with liquor license

Obtaining a Liquor License

Whether you plan to sell or supply liquor, you must obtain a license. You need to follow the Sale of Liquor Act 1989. The application process and the requirements are embodied in this act. You can file an on-license, off-license, and club license at the local council. You will usually choose between a temporary license and a full on-license. You must remember that the license is given to a person, not the business establishment. If you’re leasing business space, it is required to apply for a business license.

The best license to obtain is the full on-license. Once you file for the application, you still need to proceed in obtaining the Code Compliance Certificate. This is needed to ensure your business space has complied with the building code and the Resource Management Act 1991. If you leased out a space where liquor was previously being sold, you can opt for the temporary license. However, this is only valid for three months. After the said period, renewal is necessary if you want to continue selling liquor.

Similar Articles

The Temporary License and Code Compliance Certificate

In the case of a temporary license, public notification is no longer needed unless specified by the local council. You can get application forms from the local council in your region or city. When you do this, you must bring documents like a certificate of incorporation, partnership agreement, memo of association or company constitution, proposed menu, drawings or photos of the premises, interior plan of the business area, certificate of title, and the Code Compliance Certificate. The fees you have to pay will be for the liquor license and the CCC.

When applying for a full on-license, public notification is required. You must have an ad in the newspaper section, ‘Public Notices’. The advertisement should run for around six days. This is important to notify the public and check for any objections. You’re lucky if there aren’t any objections; otherwise, you will need a lawyer when you are referred to the Liquor Licensing Authority. The council and the company will base their decision on the license suitability, the hours/days you sell liquor, the premises, the supporting steps you’re willing to undertake for proper selling, and the proposals to supply low-alcohol drinks and food. If you’re determined to sell liquor, obtaining the needed license today is best.

Recommended Articles

  • Starting a Wholesale Liquor Business
    Do you want to get more money? Then, establish your own wholesale liquor business as soon as possible. By having information about this business, you will be able to ensure your success in this kind of business.
  • How to Choose a Liquor License Attorney
    In finding a liquor license attorney, it is important and a must to consider his reputation. Make sure that the attorney has built a good reputation over the years while giving out advices to other people. Make sure that he will teach you all the things you need to know in the liquor industry.


  • vadiraj said on August 13, 2010
    Planning to setup pub in bangalore, looking for Liquor License (lease) contact no 9900576790.
  • suri ravula said on October 31, 2011
    i need full details hoe to set up a pub with liquor license. phno-9701840533
  • sudhir said on November 13, 2011
    i need a temporary liquor license in bangalore for 45 days for a event, pls suggest whom shd i approach
  • Shilpa said on May 17, 2012
    we are planning to get liquor selling license on wholesale basis at nagarabhavi in our own premises at ring road
  • darshan said on July 2, 2012
    beer bar draft license for lease in bangalore. Interested people contact
  • chethan said on August 14, 2012
    i'm looking for MRP liquor license ( CL2 ) for sale....
  • Upen said on September 10, 2012
    Hi, I am Planning to open a PUB in Bangalore. kindly help me with your suggestions n Looking for liquor license. Kindly help me..
  • Prithu said on October 4, 2012
    Business Location is Indiranagar, We are planning to open a restaurant with the full bar license and also retail liquor from the same premises. I guess I need both a CL2 and a CL9. What is the procedure and the cost involved. Please email me at Regards, Prithu
  • Basavaraju S said on November 8, 2012
    i'm looking for MRP liquor license ( CL2 ) for sale.... Pls let me know about the procedure and quotas if any.
  • Raju said on November 16, 2012
    I am looking for a Liquor Shop License for Rental in Bangalore. Anybody there who can help me Please do contact me. G.S.Raju
  • daniel said on November 17, 2012
    Hi am am looking for beer license in case any one has any details kindly get in touch on
  • bharath said on December 1, 2012
    i am looking for MRP liquor license ( CL2 ) for sale or rent. Please do contact me @
  • JIJO JOY said on December 5, 2012
  • Darshan said on December 6, 2012
    I am looking for setting up a MRP liquor outlet. And I need to know how to obtain retail liquor license.
  • Manjunath said on December 24, 2012
    I am Planning for setting up a MRP liquor outlet (CL2). And I need to know how to obtain retail liquor license. What is the procedure and the cost involved. Please email me at Regards, Manjunath
  • Girish said on December 25, 2012
    Hi, I am thinking to start liquor business by renting a place. I want to start small shop where only liquor is sold at MRP and no food. like take away wine shop. Can you please let me know the process to get license and the cost involved. 9035827894
  • Vijay Rao said on January 4, 2013
    Hi, can any one help me in how to obtain CL9 license in Bangalore. what is the procedure for applying, Documentation, and processing fee required. Regards, Vijay rao,
  • yong said on January 18, 2013
    i would like to rent out beer license in bangalore. if anyone has the license, you could join with me to do the business together. contact me
  • Srinivas said on January 20, 2013
    I am Planning for setting up a MRP liquor outlet (CL2)in bangalore. And I need to know how to obtain retail liquor license. What is the procedure for applying, Documentation, and processing fee required and the cost involved. Please email me at Regards, Srinivas
  • Arun.j said on January 24, 2013
    I am planning to set up an MRP liquor outlet (CL 2) in Bangalore and I need to know processing fee to get it.
  • Varun K said on February 25, 2013
    I have planned to invest for Retail liquor store in Domlur, Indiranagar; Bangalore and looking for for assistance to earn CL-2 license. kindly help me if any. Thank you. regards, Varun K 9964994000
  • prasanth.a said on March 22, 2013
    Hi sir, I would like to start a bar with food in banglore, I want to know where to get to license. And procedure for this .my no is 8870170148
  • Rajshekar said on March 24, 2013
    I am looking at starting a BEER joint in Bangalore. I was looking out for a license for the same. Kindly help me with the procurement of license as well as other details. email me at:
  • unshiv alab said on March 26, 2013
    I have a cl7 license. Needing a worthy partner to do business. Also would like to know the limitations on the cl7 license.
  • Vinod said on March 27, 2013
    Planning to open the BEER PUB, please help with the procedure and cost required for it. Kindly email the details at :
  • rashmi said on May 15, 2013
    We want to open a mrp shop in coorg. I need the details
  • Guru Prasad said on May 22, 2013
    Kindly provide me information about below queries
    a) Minimum requirements to get license open a wine shop
    b) Contact person to obtain license to open a wine shop.
    c) Price to be paid to get license to open a wine shop.
    Regards, Guru Prasad
  • Sathish said on June 1, 2013
    Planning to do a wine distribution business, Could anyone say what steps do i need to follow, do i need liquor license, and whom to contact and price details or franchising brands, etc..
  • anuj said on June 3, 2013
    Planning to do a liquor business very soon in Bangalore. How to obtain liquor license to start an online business regarding the same? Kindly provide me information about the points mentioned below:
    a) Minimum requirements to get license to start an online liquor business,
    b) Contact person to obtain license to start liquor business,
    c) Price to be paid to get license to start a liquor business.
    d) What is the procedure for applying, Documentation, and processing fee required and the cost involved?
  • devraj said on June 29, 2013
    Please call to my number, I have 2 CL9 BAR licenses to be sold, one is MG road, and one more Coles road, Bnagalore, Karnataka, INDIA. Contact me my number is 9449517964 and 9986607964, brokerage 5 lakhs, each license costs 1.5 crores slightly negotiable.
  • Satya said on June 30, 2013
    I have 2 liquor licenses - cl-9, for sale. Interested people my mail me at for all details
  • Chandni said on July 9, 2013
    @Unshiv alab could you contact me on about your CL 7 license.
  • Chandni said on July 9, 2013
    Looking for Drought beer/ Bottled beer license for new restaurant in Bangalore. People selling/ leasing it out kindly contact me on Thanks!
  • yuvaraj said on July 16, 2013
    I am interested to start a wine and liquor production plant in Bangalore. Consultants are welcomed to cal me to discuss in details. Kindly text me before you cal. You can contact me at 9035340055, 9591077970
  • jayanth.k.m said on August 11, 2013
    hi this is jayanth i am planing to open cl2 liquor shop in mysore people who know about procedure plz call me & guide me ph:9535223909,9880903369.
  • jayanth.k.m said on August 11, 2013
    my email id is i am interested in opening cl2,cl7,cl9 any one i request knowledge person to inform me the details as early as possible.
  • Ananth said on September 11, 2013
    The city I am planning to start the PUB is Bangalore. Please mail me the details and guide me in full process.
  • jitendra kumar said on September 12, 2013
    Hello sir, i want to open liquor shop in Bangalore so i want to know the procedure. Thanks and Regards jitendra
  • Mayank said on September 23, 2013
    I am planning to take Beer License, plz tell me the full process.
  • mallikarjun said on September 24, 2013
    Hi, i want to open a new wine shop with permit room in belgaum city, plz let me know the details like application form, license fees etc.
  • Vineeth said on October 11, 2013
    We have CL-9 bar license for sale. If anyone is interested please contact me.
  • mahesh k s said on October 12, 2013
    i am looking for beer license. pls mail me if u have.
  • sanjay kumar said on October 17, 2013
    i m planing to open a bar with restaurant at sarjapura road if any one have pls mail me with price.thx
  • sanjay kumar said on October 17, 2013
    i want to open a bar with restaurant at sarjapur road bangalore if any body want to sell pls mail me with price.thx
  • suresh said on October 23, 2013
    what is the cost of to get cl2 license
  • said on October 28, 2013
    I wanted to open an MRP outlet of Wine shop. Can u please tell me the cost and procedure to obtain the license
  • Athith said on October 31, 2013
    am looking for draught beer license for sale or lease in ready to set up d business. if you have any cl me 9164667220
  • shankar said on November 1, 2013
    cl-9 license require me urgent call me please
  • suresh said on November 6, 2013
    we would like to start resort near hiriur how to get liquor sales license
  • said on November 16, 2013
    i am planning to get liquor selling license on wholesale basis at nagarabhavi in our own premises at ring road or in tumkur. plz call me & guide me.9620606065/9036662727
  • hrishikesh said on December 9, 2013
    I have been inquiring for CL2 License but the price quoted is not less than 1.2 Cr. Can anyone throw some light on this. I am looking for the license in North bangalore. Regards - Hrishikesh
  • subroto Hati said on December 12, 2013
    hello! i own a fine dine restaurant in bangalore and i am also planning to serve beer in it, so anyone who is willing to sell their beer license or lease it, please mail me
  • Suresh KS said on December 13, 2013
    Anyone who wants a CL9 (Bar License), CL2 (Wine Store) license or RVB (Draught Beer License)for Bangalore Please call me on 9886498111. Regards, Suresh
  • Roshan said on December 18, 2013
    can anyone tell me the paperwork needed for obtaining a cl-7 license and is the tourism department promoting any of the licenses. How many rooms are required for obtaining the license.
  • satish said on December 19, 2013
    I want to open an MSIL wholesale bar in hessaragatta Bangalore, Karnataka please help me out
  • Prasanna said on January 5, 2014
    I am interested to set up a Liquor store in Audugodi, Bangalore. I would like to know about the licensing and startup activities..
  • Kiran Pujari said on January 8, 2014
    I want to purchase the CL2 CL9 Bar license in Belgaum, Dharwad and surrounding area please. Tell Me the seller
  • sucharith said on January 9, 2014
    I have cl9 license which i am planning to lease it out for reputed restaurants / new lounge bars / pubs.. If anybody interested revert back. 9686097272
  • Muthu said on January 17, 2014
    Anyone who wants liquor/bar/restaurant licenses in Bangalore can contact me. Mr Muthu Mobile: 9739889330
  • shivaprakash said on January 19, 2014
    HI, I am looking for MRP outlet license, could you please let me know cost and the procedure. Shivaprakash, MOB:9916964160
  • Madhan said on January 21, 2014
    What is the license required to setup a MRP liquor outlet. Please reply back to my mail ID.
  • Amit Singh said on January 22, 2014
    Hi, I am planing to open a fine dining multi cuisine restaurant come bar. so could you please let me know what license I have to take, and how much it cost.please let me know at my mail I'd...
  • vijay said on January 30, 2014
    I am planning to get liquor selling license on wholesale basis in Bangalore, Please tell me the cost and procedure to obtain the license. Email -
  • chethan said on February 2, 2014
    how to get mrp liquor shop outlet licenses.
  • Sharan said on February 3, 2014
    Hi, I know about wine license, If any one wants to get wine license kindly contact me @ 7795551145.
  • Arun said on February 4, 2014
    My client is offering to sell his CL9 license in bangalore. Interested parties pls contact 9880307421.
  • Jagadish Tiwari said on February 5, 2014
    I want CL9 (Bar License), for a well running restaurant at rajajinagar in bangalore if any body want to give it for rent pls mail me with price.thanks. mob : 7676108999. for sale or lease let me know the price.
  • babu said on February 6, 2014
    Hi, I want to start bar shop and Draught beer business. Please let us know how can we start this business
  • Nishanth said on February 7, 2014
    I need to open wholesale bar in bangalore what is the cost of license etc
  • kaushic said on February 8, 2014
    planning to open new bar in sullia and mangalore
  • vishwanath shet said on February 8, 2014
    hi sir, HI, I am looking for MRP outlet license, could you please let me know cost and the procedure. vishwanath, MOB:9844446195
  • Sunil said on February 12, 2014
    I wanted to open the MSIL or MRP outlet in TUMKUR dist so kindly suggest me My E- mail id is
  • Karthik said on February 13, 2014
    I am looking for MRP LIQUOR outlet license, could you please let me know cost and the procedure. KARTHIK , MOB: 7259169040
  • Harshan.L said on February 19, 2014
    I wanted to open the MSIL or MRP outlet in HASSAN or MYSORE dist so kindly suggest me how to get MSIL Liquor license. could you please let me know cost and the procedure Harshan Ph No: 9620462222
  • Srinivasa M>S said on February 26, 2014
    Contact for any work, approve, license by govt of karnataka. Srinivasa - 8105046035
  • aakash said on March 6, 2014
    Hi, I am planning to apply for the CL-7 license in the rural area. Can anybody provide info on this? If some one provides the info on the process and whom to contact, that will be helpful. Regards, Aaskash
  • chandru said on March 8, 2014
    I want to open MSIL Liquor shop in mysore how to get license please help me my phone no 9686594540
  • santosh said on March 9, 2014
    Hi, I want to open bar and restaurant in badami. how to get license please help me...... ph no-8971128162
  • Rebello said on March 11, 2014
    FOR SALE:- Private Limited Company (almost 4 yr old) with Permission to carry on Business of ALCOHOL... Contact me on 9845256065 asap...
  • Sagar said on March 16, 2014
    I want to get MSIL liquor shop license. In Bhalki Dist-Bidar will you let me know the processes and is there any special
  • Lakshmipathy said on March 25, 2014
    Hi All, I am Mr Lakshmipathy from Bangalore and I have been retired from Indian Army during the last year. I have planned to run a Liquor shop under license on lease. If any one having liquor license for lease, please inform me through my mail id Also let me know is there any procedure for selling Rum/whisky/Brandy cola as presently serving for soldiers in army units under units arrangements. If it is run with the public and surely we will get good business. But one thing state government should have permit for the same.
  • Lakshmipathy said on March 25, 2014
    Hi all, I am searching for a liquor license on lease in Bangalore rural and Mandya thanks
  • SACHIN SHUKLA said on April 5, 2014
    hi. we have a fl2/cl3 wine shop license... surrender and running both.... all papers and dues are clear... if genuine client is require for wine shop license then contact us on given following no. SACHIN -- 8291373956, RAJ -- 9867072120
  • arun kumar said on April 7, 2014
    I am looking for M.R.P.liquor license cl2 for sale or rent please do Contact me ARUN KUMAR ---@ 9019797719
  • arun kumar said on April 7, 2014
  • pradeep chennupati said on April 11, 2014
    hai plz help me to know the procedure to open MRP outlet in my hometown gangavathi, koppal, and related cost of expenditure to open an outlet this is my contact no 9966291562
  • b.shankaranarayan said on April 14, 2014
    Nano Brewery for sale. Fully computerized, includes entire setup with manufacture, supply, installation and warranty. 100% indigenous. Made by IITians. 12 weeks manufacturing time and 2 days installation. Brew recipes included. Requires only 300 sq. ft. space. Can be retrofitted into existing restaurant/bar. Can deliver anywhere in India.
  • shailesh said on April 23, 2014
  • EX NB Sub HONY MALLIKARJUN said on May 3, 2014
    I wish to open liquor out let in Hirebevnur Taluk : Indi Distt : Bijapur through your company i.e MSIL. Please drop instruction to me regarding modalities. terms and condition, procedure for applying of liquor license. In this regards your co operation is highly obliged. thanking You. yours faithfully, Nb sub (Hony) Mallikarjun
  • TEJESH KUMAR said on May 3, 2014
    I need CL2 license for sale or lease, willing to open a MRP outlet in any place around north bangalore, please contact me on 9611444423.
  • dhareppa said on May 14, 2014
    pls tell me the procedure of how to get liquor license and wats price of that...
  • B.MAGI said on May 18, 2014
    I need cl2 license for sale or lease. Willing to open a MRP outlet in any Place around hubli or dharwad. please Contact 09845840600
  • keshava murthy said on May 18, 2014
    Hi all, I am looking for M.R.P liquor license cl2 sale or lease. pls contact me murthy 8453082869 08027931160 in bangalore rural district hoskote
  • mantesh said on May 22, 2014
    sir i am looking for MRP liquor license cl2 at bagalkot district Jamkhandi taluk area its village yallatti so please tell me how I get the license and please contact me 9535880818.
  • shiva kumar said on May 30, 2014
    I am shiva kumar looking for bar license of both cl2 & cl9 in bangalore district.. if there any available then please contact 9886088008..
  • Anil Kumar said on June 1, 2014
    Hi am Anil I want Bar License in chintamani or sorunding
  • KRISHNA said on June 15, 2014
    hi i want cl2 shop in raichur or manvi for lease plz give the details
  • vibha said on July 3, 2014
    Liquor licensee in karnataka is as good as a slave. License are exploited by department and unfortunately it is sponsored by government despite of huge revenue generated. Even genuine demands of honest Licensees are unheard throughout decades. There is no value or recognition for the only trade which is purely white.
  • subhash k said on July 3, 2014
    i am having idea that to start the bar and restaurant in raichur to shaktinagar highway.. then what will we do to get the license? plz anybody can share any ideas with me?
  • muzaffar said on July 5, 2014
    Need to apply and get alcohol license for our three star category hotel at bekal fort in kerala, india. Please advise me whether you can help me in documentation and getting the things done or you are just a third party who helps to do the documentation. Do u have an office in india or kerala where i can contact you. Will wait for your reply. Thanks regards, muzaffar, +6596222193


(All the above fields are required.)