Dental Assistant Instructor

There’s no one who can teach students of dental assistant program better than someone who has years of actual chairside experience. Have you had considerable experience as a dental assistant? If yes, then you fit this description and you may be ripe for a career as a dental assistant instructor.

Wondering what you need to do to become a dental assistant instructor?

Here are some qualifications you must have:

  • Associate degree in dental assisting with academic units towards a bachelor’s degree. This is the minimum requirement. Some schools may require that an institution’s dental assistant program be accredited by the government. If you are planning to enrol in a dental assistant program, there are more than 250 of them approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation within the American Dental Association. The programs can be completed in two years or less.
  • Bachelor degree in dental assisting. Some will require only an associate degree with enrolment in a bachelor degree program, but having a bachelor degree is, understandably, an advantage to have.
  • Certification. You must be a Certified Dental Assistant as declared by the Dental Assisting National Board. This certification is valid in many states. (You can also be a Registered Dental Assistant or an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant).
  • Dental assisting experience of several years, usually three. The required number of years of experience may be higher for those who graduated from a non-government accredited dental assistant program.
  • Teaching license. Most states are implementing alternative routes to teacher certification to allow professionals from other fields of discipline to teach subjects or topics of their expertise. To teach in public schools, a state-issued license is needed. For more information, visit the National Center for Education Information or for the most complete information on Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification, go to:
  • Teaching experience. Not necessarily required, but applicants with teaching experience are usually ahead of those without.
  • Other certifications and licenses. Usually, dental assistant instructor applicants are required to have dental radiographer license, CPR certification, first aid certification, x-ray certification. You can get CPR certification through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association or your local YMCA.
  • Knowledge on how to use dental computer software such as Dentrix and/or Eaglesoft.

Have you been working as a dental assistant for a number of years and want to do something new? You don’t have to make a complete career shift to spice up your professional life. Instead, you can turn into teaching. Your experience in the field will be valuable in training new dental assistants. For a start, you can keep your full-time job and get a teaching work part-time in the evening or on the weekend. It’s a way to earn extra income.


  • Devin Adams said on December 26, 2010
    I am interested in becoming a dental assisting instructor. I have over five years of Chair side experience, and have my Certificate Of Completion (Pit and fissure) from UIC. I want to know any other certification I would need to become a teacher/instructor.
  • Sharon Waller, RDA,CDA, EFDA said on March 29, 2011
    I am seeking a part time teaching position in the dental assisting field. I have thirty eight years of full time expanded duty experience and am well versed in all aspects of the dental office and dental assisting. I currently have all certifications that are available in dental assisting. I am looking for potential employers to whom I may submit my resume. Thank you, Sharon Waller, RDA,CDA,EFDA
  • Marcia Cross, RDA said on November 3, 2011
    I am seeking a full or part-time dental asst. instructor. I have over 20 years of dental experience, I am well versed in all aspects of both the front and back office. I am looking for employers to submit my resume to.
  • Jennifer Walton said on August 20, 2012
    I am C.E.D.D. I have been in the dental field for about 30 years ans now working in a dental lab as a case entry person I have a passion for being a dental assistant and take it to heart, but I feel that I was placed her to teach this field to help others have the same passion I have for the career they choose. Please email me to let me know what i need to do to better myself to help others better themselves, or call 404 707 8187. Thank you, Jennifer Walton
  • veronica osborn said on November 12, 2012
    I graduated from a Certified Dental Assisting School. I have 15 years experience as a Chairside Dental Assistant for the same Dentist. I have 2 years of University prerequisites for Nursing/Dental Hygiene. I currently hold an Indiana Dental Radiology License, First Aid, CPR, and Special Needs Foster Home License. I started and taught 2 years of pre-school in a Registered Daycare Facility while raising my young children. Also while staying home I completed a Medical Terminology course, a Microsoft for the Medical Professional class and I am ready to go back to school to advance my career and help others begin their career.
  • maritza said on November 14, 2012
    I've been in the field for dental assistant for more than 8 years how can i become a dental assistant instructor. Do i need credential to teach. please help thanks
  • jamie said on December 19, 2012
    i have been a dental assistant for 4 going on 5 years and i want to become a dental assistant instructor what will i have to do to become a dental assistant instructor
  • Kim Sipher said on February 2, 2013
    Racine, Wis. Hi! My name is Kim Sipher. I have 20 yrs experience as a dental experience. Those years being a general chairside assistant. Graduated with a Vocational Diploma from Gateway Tech. College. I don't have my state certification. What else would you recommend that I have to seek being an instructor? Thank you for your time, Kim Sipher
  • Lynn Ives said on March 6, 2013
    Hello I am a certified dental assistant DANB certified with 13 years of experience. I currently live in NY but would like to become a dental assisting instructor in the state of Florida. Could you help me with information pertaining to what I do next to make this dream a reality. Thank You, Lynn Ives CDA
  • Christine McCauley said on March 20, 2013
    I am a Certified Dental Assistant, Registered Dental Assistant with Expanded Functions, as well as have my cetrificate from American Medical Technologies in Dental Assisting. I am a certified CPR Instructor. I have my Associates degree and I am just shy of finishing my Bachelors degree. I have been a dental assistant for 23 years and love it as much as my first day. I have been currently teaching in a classroom setting for dental assisting and I am looking to teach an online based class. I reside in Macomb County Michigan. I would welcome any more information you can provide.
  • Amanda David said on January 13, 2014
    I am an international dentist with more than 18 years experience in the field of dentistry. I moved to Texas, frisco recently. I am certified dental assistant with 6 months experience. What are my chances to be a dental assistant instructor?
  • lesly said on July 31, 2016
    I have 6 years dental assistant experience i would like to become a dental assistant instructor in future. What else certificate i need? please help


    (All the above fields are required.)