Start Your Own Herb Farm Business
Do you want to start a business of growing organic herbs but do not know how to go about it? It’s surprisingly easy to start one, even in a home that has limited space such as yours.
Find out about it in this article, as it has all the necessary information for starting your own herb farm business in your home.
Herbs can be a good source of income with the introduction of alternative health methods using these plants. The advantage also of growing herbs is that you can do it indoors or outdoors, so basically anyone with a love for plants and the patience to grow them can participate in this business.
The basic things that you will need for herb business are: a garden and a good pest control regime.
Indoor Gardens for Herb Farms
Indoor herb gardens consist of plants that are grown in containers. When growing herbs indoors, make sure to put them in a place where they can get at least four to five hours of sunlight, and an environment where the temperature and humidity is between 50 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Outdoor Gardens for Herb Farming
In outdoor gardens, you need to put clear borders between each type of herbs that you are growing so that you won’t have difficulties in harvesting them later on if there are orders for individual types of herbs. There are many ways of doing this, including making specific and equal pots for each herb. Another way is to use a stepladder, if your space is limited to only a few kinds of herbs.
The concept is simple: the rungs of the ladder form a square of equal measurements in the space between them. This square takes the place of a plot in which you place your herbs. Add in a few bricks to dig the ladder to the soil, and you’re all set. Now you can identify which herb is what, and vary your soil composition to suit each type.
Pesticides are a must for any business that involves plants, including herbs. Pests are natural however annoying and irritating they may be. There are many pesticides available for your herb business, and the recommended types are the organic pesticides.
You can prepare organic pesticides using any of these tips:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with 1 cup of vegetable oil in one bottle. After shaking, combine 2 teaspoons of this solution with a cup of water. This is effective in getting rid of whiteflies, mites, aphids, scales when used in an optimal interval of 10 days each.
- You can use natural predators of these pests, like lacewings and praying mantis. You can produce a somewhat natural ecosystem with this, but can become risky as these insects may become pests themselves.
- You can use herbs themselves, especially those that can attract natural predators like ladybugs.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
Startup Biz Hub - Advisor (Staff)