Cobia Fish Farm
Cobia seasonally inhabits tropical and temperate water is thus found in many parts of the world. It is popularly raised in open net cages in most countries. In the U.S., it wasn’t long since cobia was first introduced into the local fish market.
Are you interested in learning the status of cobia aquaculture in the country?
Cobia -- known by several other names like black kingfish, lemonfish and ling -- is a warm-water fish that thrives in almost every sea of the world and can live up to more than 10 years. It’s a big fish, growing up to 2 meters and weighing up to more than 50 kgs. Its fast-growing characteristic and large size makes it a possible candidate to outrun salmon in commercial success. Its growth rate even surpasses that of the salmon. The fish’s firm texture and excellent taste makes it valuable as fish food. The challenge involved in catching and hauling fish of their size makes it a popular game fish.
Cobia Farming in US
In the U.S., cobia is naturally found in the waters along Massachusetts to the Florida Keys and in the Gulf of Mexico. Its broodstock can be obtained only in certain states and some aquaculture companies. Considered as “ground-breaking” in the production of the fish in the country is the partnership of MariCal of Portland and Blueridge Aquaculture of Martinsville (Va.) to create Virginia Cobia Farms, LLC. The company raises cobia using combined water treatment and specialty feed process without the use of artificial chemicals. It distributes the fish exclusively in the U.S.
Cobia Farming Researches
While cobia farming in several parts of the world is done through the open net cage method, cobia aquaculture in the U.S. is being developed as an offshore technology. The possibility of rearing the fish closer to the market will make production cost lower. But as inland farming of cobia is still new in the country, researches are being done to make cobia farming sustainable. Specifically, researches are done to develop, among others, improved methods to rear cobia larvae and to find alternative diet to cobia’s natural feeding preference. These are important as cobia larvae need nurturing during the first week that they were hatched from eggs. And they are carnivores, feeding on shellfish and other fish. Their dependence on fishmeal for their protein intake is being criticized as an unsustainable practice.
Cobia Farming System
The recirculating system is deemed a suitable method for a cobia farm. It will make possible, in highly controlled conditions, the culture of a saltwater fish in water with low salinity. For a recirculating system, you would need a tank with a good aeration system to provide enough oxygen for the fish, and extensive water treatment system to clean the water of solid and chemical wastes.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
1. The production of cobia, focus on the main areas that you think will be relevant for a successful market development. Some of these issues could include cost of production, supply, nutrition, quality, environmental impact
2. The major species (both farmed and wild caught) that will compete with cobia in the main markets. Describe the key areas of competition such as price, availability & supply, sustainability issues, quality, food safety, etc
3. The market strategy for cobia, highlighting the key unique selling point for the product. Traceability and certification are likely to be important. Select and describe a relevant certification scheme for cobia, detailing the main requirements and benefits of such a scheme for market development.
3. The Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats to the market development of cobia. Make a final conclusion on weather cobia will be a successful product, or whether the challenges from competition, supply, etc will prevent effective market development .
@precious suting, Hi precious suting, people also call this fish lemonfish. These fish grow well in tropical warm weather. Usually these fish spawn before sunset and the egg would hatch after 24-30 hours. The temperature of the water should be in between 20-25 degree Celsius. The newly hatched fish are around 3mm long and black colour. After two three days they become 5mm long. When they will become around 6-7 mm long you can feed them artificial food and with in 40-50 days of culture they will reach around 10mm. When they will reach 5-6 mm long you can feed them crab, fish and cephalopod but once they will turn around 10 mm long you can feed them artificial food. After one year of culture they will reach around 5-6 Kg. There is one food conversion ratio for cobia fish in sea cage is 1:5 when using 18% of fat and 4% of protein.
Startup Biz Hub - Advisor (Staff)
how offen water should be circulated for purification,is the seed available at taiwan? and which country produce seed in bulk.
Finally tell me the size and design of the tank required if i cultivate in fresh water/sweet water.