Oyster farming has always been intimidating to many people.
What they don’t know is that it can be easy and yet be very profitable.
This is especially so that a lot of state of the art facilities and reliable researches have been done already to help oyster farmers all over the world. Because oyster farming takes a really long time before harvest, what is important for a farmer to develop is patience. This coupled with making informed decisions as to site, farming techniques and general management strategies.
Uses of Oyster
Oysters make up a delicious food that is enjoyed by many people. This is not to mention the amazing line of vitamins and minerals that makes it somewhere on top of the list of the most nutritious food in the world. It is packed with protein as well as calcium and phosphorous that makes one’s body leaner and the bones stronger. It is also very reach in iodine, the perfect way out of goiter. Besides the part that can be eaten, the shell of the oyster also proves useful. Nowadays, it is processed as an ingredient of fertilizers and for feeding chicken and cattle. It is also used in making a lot of decorative items.
Selecting the Farming Site
In order to succeed in oyster farming, the very first thing that you should look for is the perfect site. You don’t want to rush on this because this could break the opportunities that lay before you when it comes to this business. When selecting the site, it is important to check on the depth of the water as well as its salinity level. Depth of the water should be within the range of 1.5 to 2.5 meters and brackish, meaning the perfect balance between fresh and saltwater. Also, make sure that the place is not easily flooded because when this happens the entire oyster that you are waiting to mature could be sailed out of your farm. The bottom should also be muddy and soft because this is where oysters thrive.
There are different known ways in the culturing of oyster. One of them is the broadcast method which is used by many because it is traditional and simple. In this method, the bottom of the farm area is filled with oyster shells and other elements that depict the natural setting. The stake method on the other hand is perfect for shallow water levels. What are used are bamboo poles and split coconut trucks. Along with the culturing methods also come the proper way of harvesting and packaging of the matured oysters.
Management and Marketing
Oyster farming is not just all about growing the oysters. It is also important to effectively manage the farm such that it will remain operational for a long period of time. Marketing on the other hand is important to be able to find customers who pay well and is able to transact business with you without taking advantage.
- Hello, I am calling you because i m interested to start an oyster farm in Romania, city Constanta and i need help. I grow up in this city, on the shore of the Black Sea. I don t know if there is possible to start something like the in location i told you...so that s why i kindly ask you where should start with information. Kind regards, Catalina Stefan
- Hello sir, This is Ram Chandra from Andhra Pradesh want to start a Oyster farm in domestic level. Please give me suggestions and is there any sub variety called "FLORIDA". Thank you.
- Looking to start an oyster farm in kingston, mass usa. have been a boat builder for 20 years, but have always been fascinated with aquaculture.
- I'm a young oyster shucker and I'm very interested in starting a farm of my own. In either ME or NH. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
- Hello I'm very close to retiring and wish to begin full time work of raising oysters. This, I dream of. Can I ask for your expert opinion as to where in RI would be best to farm and cultivate.
- thinking of moving back to Greece and would love to start oyster farming. Any more info, like where would I get the oysters to start with and how big of an area would be needed. Does water temperature play any role? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
- Hello, i'm thinking about start the oyster farm. Could you please advise me a common principles of business. Thanks
- I am very much interested to start an oyster farm in the Maldives. We have all the natural resources. Submerged coral reefs, lagoons, very clear unpolluted water and the tropical climate. Rgds Saleem, email@example.com
- I would like to know which agencies, university program or online advice I should seek to find out if the land I have next to a creek in WA is the right place to start an oyster farm. Also how much start up capital and training do I need.
- Hi there, just like the others, I would like to know more about starting an oyster farm. I wish to do this in my home island Fiji. I know nothing about oysters except that they're amazing to eat! Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
- I want to start my own oyster farm in Sri Lanka. want to know where I can get seed oyster and what other facilities I should provide for development oysters. Do I have to feed them regularly and with what type feed. Where can I get any reading material
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides