How to Raise Turkeys
Turkeys are good for dinner and a good source of profit. There are several steps in growing a turkey.
Here are some tips to make raising turkeys easy.
If properly cooked, turkeys can be very juicy, aromatic and can become the best meal. Whether for profit, leisure or a delightful evening meal raising turkeys can be very rewarding.
Know How to Raise Turkeys the Simple Way
Learning the basics
First, know where you can get one your locality. You can start by looking at breeding and farming institutes in your area. Then, decide on what type of breed you should get. That of course depends upon your purpose of getting one. If you are planning to get a turkey for profit, broad Breasted Bronze is a good choice. It has a lot of breast meat and can grow quickly. Heritage turkeys are slow growing but can be very good if you are planning to get the meat of turkey for a delicious meal. It is advisable to purchase turkey during the spring, if you want to grow turkeys in number, get males and females for the purpose of breeding.
Building a home for your turkey
Day old turkeys must be placed under heat lumps to maintain their body temperature. You can make a brooding area out of a box or old children’s pool. Line it with wood shavings and install heat lamps, to get 95-100 degrees of temperature around the box or the pool. Supply it with water and food container. Try to research about different kinds of bird foods, a good bird food can have as much as 30 percent protein needed to grow your little turkeys quickly. After a couple of weeks you might consider enlarging your brooding area. For the next four more weeks, create 8-by-8 foot area for your turkeys. Turkey roost should be movable to prevent build up of manures. You can move the roost every other day to a new location. Check for signs of perching. Put an elevated branch inside the area, if you see signs of perching this means that your turkey is ready to roost.
Growing and growing faster
Turkeys should have a wide area to walk around. A dozen of turkeys can fit at 75 by 75 feet area. Once they reach 6 weeks of age, they can now roam around outside to play. Keep your turkey away from predators by fencing the area. This will also prevent them from wondering around and eating your precious plants. They can actually eat any leaves that they pass through and this could mean trouble if you do not secure them in one place. At 8 weeks turkeys can go freely around the pasture. Adult turkeys can eat as much as one pound of bird feed per day. But in general turkeys like to eat all sorts of vegetation. Grasses are 80%part of their diet. Similar to other poultry animals, turkeys eat seeds, worms, snails, slugs, salamanders and small insects. Soybean meal, wheat and corn are given for farm turkeys to speed up their growth.
- I need to start up business organic grow of turkey farming in ontarion canada. Would you please advise, how much land size, finance requested for project containing at least 10000 turkey. thanks,
- please i want to know the vaccination program for turkey from day old to adult
- i want to start Turkey Farming with 60 Bird ie Day old. What are the requirement
- I want to grow some turkey for Christmas. How long does it take for turkey to mature for eating. Abuja, Nigeria
- I intend raising pure breed turkeys in Ota Ogun state. I have been raising broiler birds for over 10 year. kindly put me through regarding housing, feeding and vaccination programme. than you.
- My turkey is not in good health, what do I do?
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
- How Competition Affects Business
- Impact of Competition in Business
- What to Do Before Starting a Business
- Types of Brainstorming
- What If You Owe Taxes
- How to Get Contracts for Security Business
- How Did Industrialization Contribute to City Growth
- Business Documents Used In Accounting
- What does a Business Plan Look Like
- How to Start an Organic Cosmetic Business