How to Report a Business to Trading Standards

This article will tell you the best ways to do once you want to report a concern with Trading Standards which includes who to get in touch with the detail you need to provide, what will happen after you have been reported the concern and the thing you need to do once trading standards cannot help you.

Services offered by trading standards differ across the region. Citizen Advice has a contract with Trading standards in order to aid you report a concern to them.

Reporting a trading concern is an easy process, either you can call the customer service of the Citizen Advice or through filling in an inquiry form.

Who to Make Contact with First

Expert adviser will examine your concern and decide whether to submit it to Trading Standards. On the other hand, they will not be capable to make an option regarding whether Trading Standards will undertake your case. Once your concern is submitted it is known as a referral. If Trading Standards gave obtained the referral, they choose whether they are capable to aid you and call you directly. Most Trading Standards do provide a drop in service. Through calling the local authority, you will determine if there is one in your place.

What Detail Do You Want To Report a Concern

Prior to calling Citizens Advice, it is essential to get a lot of information in order to support your concern. This will aid the adviser make an option if the concerns can be transferred on to Trading Standards. Try to provide information such as what the concern is, paperwork such as invoices, bills, quotes and estimates, videos or photos of proof.

What if Trading Standards Accept Your Concern?

Once Trading Standards enlist your problem, it is essential to understand what may happen next. The detail you provide Trading Standards might be passed on to another concern with the ability to take action as opposed to the trade. For instance, the police, the office of Fair Trading, court service. When there is a trail, you might be questioned to provide proof as opposed to the seller in court.

On the other hand, not all concerns end up in trial. Trading Standards don’t have to take legal action even if it’s clear which a criminal offense has been committed and the dealer is possible to be condemned. They can select to take no deed or to provide the dealer a warning.

The Thing You Need To Do Once Trading Standards Cannot Aid You

Occasionally Trading Standards will not be capable to aid you personally and you might have to take some action to resolve your case. You can directly complain to the trader, call a trade organization once the trader is an affiliate, utilize an alternative dispute resolution, for instance the Ombudsman, or take the dealer to court. The Citizens Advice advisers are capable of guiding you to resolve the concern. Even though they do not assume your problem, still Trading Standards may gather proof regarding the dealer and might choose to take proper action at a later date.


  • Sue terry said on June 25, 2019
    I would like to report a company called kaftan London GB as it has robbed my account and I'm disabled and would like it to be looked at. As I have just looked online and this company has done it to a load of people.
  • Mr Brian Cane said on March 3, 2021
    I Bought A Car Of A Dealer & found That It Should Never Had Gone Through An M.O.T Plus There Was Signs Of A rear Re-Spray Sign Of Damage Had Been Done To This Car At Some Point But Was Never Told About Also Look A The Dealers Reviews From Other People & Most Said They Are A Scam & Most Vehicals They Have Are With fake Or Illegal M.O.T & That Some Cars Have Broken Down & They Don't repair Them Right This Dealer Has To Be Looked Into All His Cars As They May Or Are On The Road With Illegal M.O.T also D.V.L.A Must Be Informed & That They All Must Be Re-Tested At A Goverment Transport M.O.T Centre The Name Of This Dealer Is >> Cheshire Car Sales Ltd Unit 4 vale trading estate Furance street Dukinfield greater manchester SK16 4JA
  • Mark Woodcock said on July 13, 2021
    I need help sorting out my lost Hermes parcel. Despite contacting them 18 times, they blamed me for delivering it to the wrong address. They suggested going to the drop-off point, but my previous visit was pointless. I sent an expensive saw worth ?150, but they keep stalling.
  • Joan Ellis said on November 7, 2021
    I ordered a jumper and a pair of trousers from a Damart catalog with a promise from Damart of a free coat worth £40. The Jumper and trousers arrived but no coat. I rang Damart, and they said I would receive the skin within seven days. This did not happen, so I rang them again after seven days and was told the coat was now out of stock, and I should have received a voucher for £8.50p towards my next purchase. That's nothing like the coat's value, and I still haven't received the voucher after another seven days. I feel I have been shabbily treated. Yours faithfully.
  • Carly West said on November 11, 2021
    I had my car brake discs and pads done at HCW Upper stone street in Maidstone, Kent. About a week later, I had the car serviced at H & C Motors Maidstone. After a while, I could hear a clunking noise; I checked the tires but could not find where the noise was coming from. I thought that when I got home, I would ring the garage and book the car in. As I was going down Linton Hill, the sound got worse; the steering went funny, so I swerved the car into a pub car park; as I did so, the whole wheel came off and rolled into a bush! The car stopped, and two men came over to see if I was ok. They found two of the wheel nuts in the round. My insurance company says I'm not covered even though I am fully comp. So I would like some help getting the money for the repairs from HCW, which will cost £1900 through their negligence, as the wheel could not have been tightened correctly. I could have died.


    (All the above fields are required.)