How to Take Minutes at a Business Meeting
Taking minutes is essential in any kind of meeting. Taking good minutes in a business meeting requires some skills.
The employer would appreciate it much if the minutes are taken effectively.
Regardless of the how much and how long the discussion of the meeting, it is necessary to take minutes especially in business meeting. Taking minutes effectively means that all the discussions are noted accurately. In this sense, it is important that a minute taker should possess some writing skills that can help taking the minutes hassle free. Here are some guidelines to follow in order to make a good recording of minutes.
Important Guidelines in Taking Minutes
First and foremost, as a minute taker you should arrive at the meeting venue before the scheduled time. In this way, you can have the opportunity to look for a good seat where you can hear clearly everyone speaking. Before going to the venue make sure that you have the necessary things that you will use such as pen, paper or your laptop. If you are using a laptop ensure that it is properly plugged and working so that you will not find difficulty while the meeting is on going. Likewise, you can also use a tape recorder as it serves as back up in recording. The advantage of using tape recorder is that the device can help you ensuring the accuracy in the transcription of the proceedings. However, you should test the device before the meeting starts to ensure that it is working well.
For easy transcription of minutes, you can use a consistent format or template. Usually, the important criteria that should be included in the minutes are the name of the meeting, the date, location as well as the starting and ending time. You should also include the names of attendees and you can put a remark if some of the expected people to attend do not show up. As much as possible, you should follow the agenda. See to it that all the agenda are covered in the minutes. In case of missed or dropped agenda, you should record it in the minutes.
It is not required to jot down each word rather you just need to take note the highlights. Use general comments because there are instances when an attendee does not want to be identified in the minutes. It is also essential to incorporate in the minutes the actions taken, the motions and votes and other specific outcomes. After the meeting, start immediately transcribing the minutes. You can send minutes draft to the committee members for corrections. In case you receive corrections, do it promptly and distribute the final copy. Furthermore, you need to write your name on the last page of the minutes as well as your designation and signature. Taking notes carefully is one way of accurate recording of the proceedings during business meetings. Before posting and distributing the final draft you should check the facts and other details especially the names of the attendees.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides
- Writing Goals and Objectives for Business
- Writing a Business Memo
- What is Business Culture
- What It Takes To Start a Business
- What is Microsoft Office Works
- How to Start Your Own Dal Mill
- Bakery Set up Costs
- How to Start Your Own Cotton Mill
- How to Start a Box Truck Business
- Starting a Charcoal Export Business
- How to Get Babysitting License
- Finding New Clients for Export Business
- Problems Faced by Entrepreneurs When Setting Up a Business