How to Farm Onions

Onion farming is a good idea if you have unused land in your backyard. Perhaps, this crop does not attract the attention of many people yet it supports million lives specifically children who help in the planting process.

There are some places in the world where locals depend their living in onion farming.

onions from farm

For many years, onion farming became popular across Yemen. However, due to lack of interest of many farmers the industry declines. Fortunately, nowadays lots of people engage in backyard gardening and they find growing onions as their choice. There are two categories of onion such as the short day onions and the long day onions. These two onions differ on the growing period. Likewise, when buying for onion varieties that you will grow you can choose from bulb onions and the perennial onions.

How to Plant Onions?

Onions can be grown from seeds, sets and transplant. When you choose to grow onions from seeds you should plant the seeds ½ inches apart and 3/8 inch deep. The rows should be 15 inches apart. On the other hand, the bulb onions are perfect to grow from transplant. The planting process is merely the same with growing from seeds. In like manner, the bulb onions can be easily grown by planting sets. Planting sets can be can be grown closely together but needs to be thin out by getting the green onions and the others will grow into bulbs.

Maintaining onion Plants

Farming onion plants requires lot of water as they initially grow. However, as the plants mature, thy do not need much of water. Sometimes you can just depend on rainwater but make sure that the plants absorb the right amount every 5-7 days. Mulching can help reduce the weeds and at the same time maintain the soil moisture level. Keep in mind to weed out once the onions start to grow so that the weeds will not absorb the soil nutrients needed by the onions. However, you should be careful when weeding and ensure not to disturb the roots of the onions. In addition, you may not use fertilizer if you employ quality compost in the soil before planting the onions. Instead, you should use root builder like the natural mycorrhizal fungi. It helps the roots in absorbing water as well as soil nutrients by attaching to the roots. In this way, you can save the organic fertilizer for other crops.

Harvesting Onions

Bulb onions can be harvested within three months. When the plants start to yellow then it is the right time to harvest the bulb onions. Ripening process can be induced by breaking the tops of the onions. It is best to harvest the onions prior of producing flower stalks. On the other hand, you can only harvest the green onion as soon as it reaches 5 inches tall. The flavor depends on how taller they get. This means that if you want a strong flavor onion you should let it grow taller.

FAQ

Q. What is the best time for planting onion?
A. Usually onion seeds are planted in mid-october.

Q. What temperature is best suited for onion farming?
A. Temperature should be 15-25 degree celcius or 60-80 F. Onion needs uniform moisture throughout the growing season. More likely the furrow irrigation is used for onion planting.

Q. What are the various onion plant diseases?
A. Here are the common diseases that you need to aware of like botrytis leaf blight, purple blotch, pink root, smudge and several basal rots.

• 1. tafadzwa said on 2/22/2011 6:53:33 AM
    i like to plant onion and i'm from zimbabwe
  • 2. tafadzwa albert madeyi said on 3/2/2011 3:46:28 AM
    i'm doing my farming in zim,in the seke areas,currently i have got 70,000 onions yet to be harvested in may, my problem is i wish to do more than i'm doing now but i don't have funds, i wish to do contract based farming, if you can help.
  • 3. khaya mgweba said on 3/16/2011 10:12:24 AM
    I would like to start farming with onions, please help.[South Africa], Eastern Cape. Regards, Khaya
  • 4. Raghunath expert adviser said on 3/18/2011 5:45:29 PM
    @khaya mgweba, Hello khaya mgweba, see the FAQ section to learn more about Onion farming.

Raghunath Natarajan
    Startup Biz Hub - Advisor (Staff)

• 5. brighton madziwana said on 5/21/2011 2:13:40 PM
    hi. i am in the onion farming business but i wish to expand my capacity to fully utilise my 10ha farm. i was kindly asking if i could get assistance in the form of knowledge on the diseases onions are likely to suffer from and the pesticides that can help. what type of soil exactly is best for onions? , what amount of water is required? is it wise to plant them in winter in a country like zimbabwe with temperatures averaging 15 to 25 in winter? i am in desperate need of a partner who shares the same passion and who can help with capital and knowledge and we split proceeds accordingly. thanx
  • 6. charles lyewe said on 6/14/2011 12:29:22 PM
    i want to farm onions and am in tanzania - east africa.. please help out with ideas of how should i go about it.. what to start with and how to handle the whole farming process. thank you
  • 7. eunice ogru said on 6/17/2011 6:20:07 PM
    i want to farm onions in delta state, south-south Nigeria. i need to know if the nature of the soil can be favorable for onions farming. please, i need general onions farming techniques information.thank you
  • 8. Grace said on 6/20/2011 9:26:00 AM
    When is the right season to plant onions in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
  • 9. Adenga Jimmy said on 9/1/2011 5:23:28 AM
    Have started planting onions, in Northern Uganda Lira District. Its unfortunate that my onion seedling have started wilting from the tips yet there is enough rain and i water it when there is no rain. What could be this problem? Thanks you.
  • 10. Edidiong Bassey said on 11/18/2011 4:14:20 AM
    i want to farm onions in akwa ibom state, south-south Nigeria. i need to know if the nature of the soil can be favorable for onions farming and if not, I need to know how to make the conditions favorable. please, i need general onions farming techniques information.thank you
  • 11. Focus said on 12/14/2011 3:36:02 AM
    I need to start onions farming in Mwanza region-Tanzania what are things need me to put into consideration including the time for planting, soil type and amount of rain fall? Focus
  • 12. Okwakol Robert said on 2/7/2012 8:21:47 AM
    I am seeking for reliable information from an experienced person on extensive onion growing at leased 2 acres. The type of soils, fertilizers (Soroti land is exhausted), treatment. Challenges to expect and probable harvest. Okwakol Robert, from Soroti, Uganda-East Africa.
  • 13. sam robert said on 5/1/2012 2:58:57 AM
    i want to start onion farming but i dont know about the season,type of soil,suitable crop type, crop diseases and the time from planting to harvesting.
  • 14. james mbepera said on 5/12/2012 12:49:05 PM
    i am in Dar es salaam Tanzania i am maximum interested in onions business but i dont have enough knowledge can you assist me, which season, fertilizer required, crop disease and its prevention nature of soil etc
  • 15. EDWARD MALAMA said on 5/21/2012 10:52:48 AM
    how much do i need to grow one hector of onions and how much yield is expected from one hector. Chisamba farms lusaka zambia
  • 16. wanzala fred said on 7/18/2012 7:13:41 AM
    i have started planting onions in uganda. i need the pests and diseases that affect it
  • 17. WILLIAM MVUNGI said on 8/1/2012 5:24:21 AM
    Iam from Tanzania and i need to start farming onions,so for 1ha,how much of money do i need to start with.and what kind of onion seed are suitable for my area TANZANIA EAST AFRICA
  • 18. godson barnabas kaaya said on 8/21/2012 9:04:06 AM
    I am farming onions, watermelon, tomatoes, maize and rice in the Coastal region of Tanzania, The land is virgin that most of agrochemicals are not needed. I am planing to divide my farm into organic and non organic farming. Who is interested to join in the marketing of organic one especially for export? so that i concentrating in quality organic products while the counterpart concentrate in selling. The business is located in Bagamoyo, Coastal region of The republic united of Tanzania, East Africa.
  • 19. Veronica N Kamau said on 8/30/2012 8:04:12 AM
    I want to plant bulb onion in Kajiado district Rift valley Province in Kenya
  • 20. MBABAJENDE SAID MOUKHTAAR said on 9/15/2012 7:42:44 AM
    I strongly want to farm onions but still more clarification in terms of market is needed. I'm in RWANDA SOUTHERN PROVINCE. THANK YOU!
  • 21. josephsalutary said on 9/23/2012 6:12:42 AM
    am tanzanian liven at singida, i would like to start planting onions during this season.. but can you help to know what major things to consider on onion plantation..
  • 22. Omary mvano said on 10/2/2012 2:14:01 AM
    Am in Iringa Tanzania, i want to have an onions plantation by next year what are the best tips on it.
  • 23. Tumwine Pius said on 10/17/2012 10:03:43 AM
    I would like to know the rain patterns of Rwahi area in Ntungamo District-Uganda. I want to engage in onion farming
  • 24. Fasugba Ayobami said on 10/24/2012 1:08:54 PM
    I live in western part of Nigeria, i love to plant onion bulbs soon. Pls you did not specify the size of onion bulb best for planting. Is it the large one or small ones. Thank you.
  • 25. ben kyengo said on 10/29/2012 5:02:44 AM
    i would like to plant onions on four Ha at makindu-kenya .the area is known to be very high temperatures.advice.
  • 26. Amarjit Singh Bhattal beginner adviser said on 11/2/2012 8:37:17 AM

@ben kyengo,  I am a farmer from North India and we also get extreme hot temperature in summer(40 degrees Celsius plus) and in winters dec, jan, feb( touches 0 degrees also sometimes). We plant seeds in oct and transplant saplings in dec-jan. harvest in april( temp around 33-37 deg C). I have farmer friends in kenya who are into wheat and sugarcane. Since you have not mentioned the temperature and rain distribution of your area, I cannot be specific, but our onions and wheat grow concurrently. So, it is likely that you too can grow onions( We have an Indian variety called Nasik reds which can bear high temperature). They are similar to spanish red onions and have strong taste and average size. I hope this helps. All the best,

captbhattal@gmail.com || Farming Expert

• 27. Jonas Martin said on 11/10/2012 2:56:37 AM
    I'm a farmer Tanzania northen zone, in Arusha, i need to start the project of farming onion. My opinion is to get the proper, procedure on how to cultivate, i think that will get help from you.
  • 28. nanteza eve shillingi said on 11/19/2012 7:33:13 AM
    Am a farmer in uganda, kampala, East africa. i just want to start an onion farm looking forward to getting more information
  • 29. william nyabongo said on 11/22/2012 10:28:04 AM
    am from western uganda and i would like to state growing onions on my 6hcr's and i need some advise on how to go about with onions and how many times can i grow onions on the same piece of land as in do i have to do crop rotation thanks.
  • 30. casim mpanga said on 11/23/2012 4:26:03 PM
    i am from Uganda i want to farm onions but i need advise from you my friends
  • 31. anarjit singh bhattal said on 11/24/2012 11:39:19 AM
    Most of the details for onion farming have been covered above in article. Pls mention specific questions so that others can give advice and views. . . regards. Write your business location to help you better. Exp: City, State, Country
  • 32. Christopher said on 12/4/2012 5:45:20 AM
    Amainyi, Imo State, Nigeria. Am about to start cultivation of onions and I want to know if onions can thrive well in the swamps
  • 33. Tierney said on 12/23/2012 8:56:45 AM
    Where do you get onion and other vegetable seed in Uganda? Are there seed companies which sell small amounts of seed to individuals for home and community gardens?
  • 34. Grace said on 1/3/2013 4:01:29 AM
    Hey, I come from Kenya, Nyahururu area, and would like to try onion farming. Please advise on the best seeds and time to plant, diseases and corresponding pesticides.
  • 35. Anteneh Aenhesha said on 1/4/2013 2:01:32 AM
    Hi I am living in ethiopia and now I would like to start onion farming but the temperature reach about 25-30 degrees Celsius. pls can you tail me the proper type of seed for this temperature range.
  • 36. Hope william said on 1/15/2013 10:43:37 AM
    I want to know about fertilizers, pests and its treatment for bulb onions, and what is the better season to preparing nursery, transplanting and harvesting.
  • 37. Hellen said on 1/28/2013 2:57:43 AM
    I am from Bagamoyo, Tanzania, I have 50 acres of land, want to start onions farming. I want to do irrigation as well, kindly advise me. Thanks
  • 38. Jude said on 2/5/2013 12:40:47 AM
    Am a student of Ebonyi state university (NIGERIA) studying Agric economics and extension. I just need a complete information on modern way of applying on agriculture on onion farm
  • 39. kundhlande joseph said on 2/6/2013 7:08:07 AM
    farm is in region 1b zimbabwe. i want to do 1 hec. how much seed and fert do i need?
  • 40. Mayamiko maonga said on 2/14/2013 5:00:09 AM
    can you plant onions in rain season?
  • 41. Pasqualino Okello said on 2/20/2013 1:40:49 PM
    I am currently growing Onions, I already have an hector ploughed and ready for the rainy season. I need market for about 20 bags by June.
  • 42. idah nansamba said on 2/26/2013 1:53:32 AM
    I live in uganda and i want to start an onion farm. i need to know the estimate of yield if i used an acre for this kind of farming.
  • 43. Keitany K Nicodemus said on 2/26/2013 2:13:18 PM
    I am in Iten, Kenya. I would like to start farming onions. I would like to source capital. Please help.
  • 44. Ash Farmer said on 3/5/2013 4:40:43 AM
    I want to start a onion farm in Georgia, United State. I Need an Indian onion Farmer Advisor to go to USA preferable from Nasik India, With thorough knowledge of onion farming. Please contact via email for further discussion. AK
  • 45. Vincent oluoch said on 3/6/2013 9:57:43 AM
    Hi, am vincent from nairobi, kenya i am interested in starting onion farm but am financially challenged please help me
  • 46. Michael musyoka said on 3/17/2013 7:51:32 AM
    Doing growing and marketing of water melons and onions in machakos and nairobi counties .so help me know where i can get these products at reasonable prices.
  • 47. kikoyo muhammad said on 3/18/2013 10:57:15 AM
    am augandan who is willing to start onion farming. so i need some advise and how to start....
  • 48. fionah Mugisa said on 4/8/2013 9:43:37 AM
    hi, i have two pieces of land, one in wobulenzi central Uganda which is a bit rocky. the second piece is in western Uganda in fortportal district. the land is really fertile and but tea is the most grown crop. where is the place to put this farming...
  • 49. Goodluck said on 4/13/2013 2:23:28 PM
    am from Arusha how can i start unions plantation
  • 50. drake kabuye said on 4/15/2013 6:24:06 AM
    my location is in wakiso. i need to first of all restore the soil fertility to the lands since they have been exhausted need tips on onion growing, which type is best for wakiso-uganda-EA soils. please advise coz i want to start in a few weeks time.
  • 51. Morice ochieng said on 4/16/2013 10:50:13 PM
    What are things required in order to conduct one hectare of onion farm special place around central Tanzania
  • 52. Muthoni Kabeberi said on 4/22/2013 11:36:12 AM
    I want to start growing onions in Kajiado and need all the information I can get regarding type and planting guidelines. Please help!!
  • 53. Amarjit Singh Bhattal beginner adviser said on 4/22/2013 12:38:25 PM

@Ash Farmer,  Yellow and white onions of Geogia state, USA are very famous. Yours and Wala Wala in Washington state are most famous. I am sure red Indian onions are being cultivated there in small quantity though those cold months can ab issue. Please elaborate what kind of help you need? Is it only the seed that you need or advice or contract farming? All the best.

captbhattal@gmail.com || Farming Expert

• 54. Amarjit Singh Bhattal beginner adviser said on 4/22/2013 12:42:22 PM

@Anteneh Aenhesha,  Temperatures of 25-30 Celsius are no problem for red onions. They thrive well in heat provided the soil has good drainage and are regularly irrigated. All the best.

captbhattal@gmail.com || Farming Expert

• 55. Reuben Jinega said on 4/24/2013 4:30:01 PM
    My names are Reuben Jinega Tanzania. I am intending to start onion farming very soon. What kind of good seeds for that farming. How can I get that. What are the spacing details pertaining planting and Management in general. How can I get the literature for onion growing.
  • 56. simba silendeni said on 4/29/2013 9:45:38 AM
    I want to grow bulb onion in Harare, Zimbabwe. I have land measuring about 1ha. What type of fertilizer is suitable for onion and required quantities. Is onion susceptible to frost?
  • 57. daniel joram said on 4/30/2013 3:57:49 AM
    i am DANIEL in kampala uganda . i am grateful for the above info on onion farming .am looking forward to a booming future on my side.
  • 58. Amarjit Singh Bhattal beginner adviser said on 5/2/2013 12:35:50 AM

@simba silendeni, Onions do not fare well in frost like conditions, specially at nascent stage. spread hay around the saplings( Also Mulching) can be helpful upto some extent. About fertilizer, I suggest you should get the soil tested to see which nutrients are lacking in soil before fertilizing it. Onions can give good results in low fertility soils also and cattle manure, compost and vermi compost are always suitable for onions.

captbhattal@gmail.com || Farming Expert

• 59. tomero@hotmail.com said on 5/8/2013 11:28:21 PM
    I have 15 acres of onion plantation and looking for serious wholesale buyers. contact me at tomero@hotmail.com if interested.
  • 60. Ogunyemi michael said on 5/16/2013 6:41:41 AM
    I realized that onions are largely cultivated in northern part of Nigeria while little or none in the south-west, for somebody like me who would like to cultivate onion, what are the factors limiting the cultivation and how to mitigate them in south-western Nigeria.
  • 61. ketra said on 5/17/2013 10:02:14 AM
    i am from Western Kenya, which is the best season for planting onions?
  • 62. Thandeka said on 5/28/2013 1:23:57 PM
    South Africa, kwaZulu Natal.. I want known how much will i get out of 1 hectare of onion garden, you can reply with estimated figures
  • 63. Amarjit Singh Bhattal beginner adviser said on 5/31/2013 12:14:40 PM

@Thandeka, A rough estimate would be around 150-200 quintals....depends though on breed of onions, soil, care.. many factors...All the best

captbhattal@gmail.com || Farming Expert

• 64. harriet said on 6/3/2013 2:32:16 PM
    I would like to plant onions in kenya place called kisii pls advice on the best season,
  • 65. dax tiu said on 6/4/2013 11:04:02 AM
    Hi my name is dax I'm thinking to go on farming onion I'm looking for right farm in upstate new York can u advise me if that's a good idea or location is right and do I have the farm soil check before I move forward tnx so much
  • 66. BRAIN MADZIKO said on 6/4/2013 11:19:47 AM
    AM PLANNING ON FARMING ONIONS HOW DO I GO ABOUT IT HELP ME AM IN ZIMBABWE
  • 67. sydney maseleni kapata said on 6/5/2013 4:52:59 AM
    am planning to start farming onions this season, i want to do about a one hector. how much do i need for the start and i want to do this during the rain season, is it right for me to do that please help...
  • 68. sydney maseleni kapata said on 6/5/2013 4:58:06 AM
    am from zambia and we have a farm in cetral part of zambia called chisamba. am planing to start farming onion, i need to know the best soil and the what type of diseases i may encounter.
  • 69. tibamugaya josephat said on 6/5/2013 8:47:13 AM
    I would like to start onion farming on a commercial level in Wakiso and Kabale districts of Uganda, what could be the best planting time and what procedures do you follow to raise onions from the time when you sow the seeds in the seed bed up to harvesting time. thank u.
  • 70. Twahirwa Edward said on 6/12/2013 11:26:19 AM
    Am Edward Twahirwa from Uganda. i am intending to start an onion farm this year. unlike tomato growing which i cant repeat again, what are some of the problems that face onion growing
  • 71. Garuhanga joseline said on 6/19/2013 10:24:15 AM
    Am from uganda mukono district i want to plant onion i want to get more information about the best seeds,how to take care of them and which season is best for planting
  • 72. Erone paul said on 6/20/2013 12:14:56 PM
    I am from eastern uganda(bukedea). I want to know a country like uganda. One can plant onions at any season apart from october.
  • 73. Erone paul said on 6/20/2013 12:17:37 PM
    Am from eastern uganda(bukedea). Can one plant onions in the month of June or July?
  • 74. Timothy said on 7/4/2013 2:07:30 PM
    Hi there. I live in Uganda and would like to start an onion farm at my country home, purely for business. Please guide me on the key points to consider. Season, care, spacing among others. Thank you. Timothy.
  • 75. Francis said on 7/8/2013 9:21:03 AM
    Hi there, am living in Uganda and i would like to an onion farm purely for business. i hope to start the plantation in the September-October season on 2 acres but i need more advise on the way forward. Thank you, Francis
  • 76. Takadiyi Shadreck Zhakata said on 7/13/2013 8:13:54 AM
    I want to do contract farming for onions so help me to get in contact with genuine onion farming contractors
  • 77. Takadiyi Shadreck Zhakata said on 7/13/2013 8:18:43 AM
    The main area I want help is on marketing of onions hence the need of contractors who will buy the crop.
  • 78. Thomas Mgoli said on 7/14/2013 8:07:59 AM
    I am a Tanzanian Agronomist engineer, who want any help concerning annual crops such as onions can contact, REGARDS.
  • 79. Agnes Ekulam said on 7/18/2013 4:28:40 AM
    Hi there, am living in Uganda and would like to take an onion farm purely for business. I hope to start the plantation in September/October season on 1 acre. I would need more advise on the way forward. Regards Agnes.
  • 80. Joyce Kamya said on 7/21/2013 2:06:24 PM
    Am Ugandan with some acres I want to start onion growing for the coming season, My worry is about the market and best way to plant them
  • 81. Agnes Ekulam said on 7/25/2013 7:43:34 AM
    Wakiso, Uganda. where can one get onion seeds in Kampala?
  • 82. Sendi frank said on 7/30/2013 1:10:42 PM
    Am frank in Kampala. where can i find onion seeds in kampala?.
  • 83. mathenge said on 7/31/2013 6:28:13 AM
    I grow onions in Kieni area of Nyeri county and would like to linkup with other onion farmers so we can interact and enlighten each other. Somebody get in touch.
  • 84. Ronald Tenywa said on 8/2/2013 7:58:07 AM
    I am Ronald from Eastern Uganda. I wish to do Onion farming on my 5 acre land in Iganga. The soil is clay loam. is this good land for onions. I need more information on varieties, nursery bed preparation and farm management for the same.
  • 85. brenda kambaila said on 8/5/2013 6:53:43 AM
    i am based in zambia..in lusaka.where can i find good onion seedlings in zambia..to be planted between august en november. advise.brenda mweemba
  • 86. jacob mrema said on 8/14/2013 3:53:24 PM
    Am living in Kilimanjaro(TPC NYULENDI)I want to start onion farming and i wish to know starting from the point of plant until harvesting.
  • 87. Zzvaitwa Zinyemba said on 8/15/2013 2:50:12 AM
    I am in ZIMBABWE in the Chinhoyi area and own a small plot 12 hectares in size. I am interested in onion production. Please can I have information about funding partners because I am incapacitated financially. I would also like to have a manual or guide on onion production.
  • 88. Bashirat omidina said on 8/18/2013 12:29:13 PM
    I dont know much about onions farming but i want to start farming onions in Abeokuta, Ogun state, south west, Nigeria
  • 89. asiimwe loy said on 8/20/2013 4:18:11 AM
    I want to start onion growing in Uganda, Mityana road. Can i please be assisted with information on planting, weeding, harvesting the jambar F1 type in my country?
  • 90. Sohel said on 8/23/2013 10:28:25 AM
    Hi, we are from Bangladesh and recently, import from India is troubled because our fish (Hilsa) export to them is also slow, creating a price hike for onions in Bangladesh. I would like to farm for onions in Tanzania where I can make my investment in the land and equipment. These onions can be exported to Bangladesh if found to be economically viable. Any Tanzanians interested can mail me at runinan@gmail.com
  • 91. ernest lihawa said on 8/26/2013 1:46:47 PM
    we can do the best in onion production if we want to do it.
  • 92. JOSEPH CLEMENCE NYONI said on 9/11/2013 2:52:51 AM
    FROM IRINGA TANZANIA I WANT TO FARM ONION IN TANZANIA I HECTOR, I HAVE ENOUGH FUND SO HOW CAN I START WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE. contact JOSEPH CLEMENCE JOSEPH(facebook)
  • 93. Lemma Yimer said on 10/13/2013 12:39:44 AM
    1. What is the problem if we cut the bulb half way and plant the root side of the bulb. It will be splitted into a number of bulbs and gives a good yield. Does it have any nutritional deficiency?.
    2. I know that onion bolts in the second harvesting year. What is the cycle of bolting of onions?
  • 94. dharmendra,assam said on 10/23/2013 12:40:13 PM
    hello, sir, i am dharmendra, from guwahati, assam. i am interested to doing onion farming at my village. so i want to doing a training under you. how it is possible? pliz contact me 09435279128.
  • 95. Guat Lee Ganan said on 10/24/2013 1:04:09 AM
    My farm is located at Juncarlo, San Andress, Province of Romblon. we would like to plant onions because we have land area vacant. Hoping you can give us training or feasibility study for one hectare of Onion plantation.
  • 96. Kenneth Oula said on 11/6/2013 7:53:54 AM
    Which books contain onion farming in different types of soils, with varied soil nutrients and recommended varieties and mainly for Nyanza and Coastal regions in Kenya?
  • 97. weldemariam said on 11/13/2013 4:07:59 AM
    i need help on onion i am going to conduct research related fertilizer and spacing. thanks for your fast response.
  • 98. ALOYCE KISAKA said on 11/16/2013 1:26:55 AM
    NUMBER 99 . DER BERMUDER, I M FROM TANZANIA EAST AFKICA ,I WANT TO PLANT ONIONS HAVE A FARM 200ACRES 150 KM FROM DAR ES SALAAM OUR CAPITAL CITY. THERE IS UNDERGROUND WATER 20M DEEP WELL THERE IS A PLENTY OF WATER . I NEED A PARTNER TO DEVELOP THE LAND . WANT IS NEEDED IS WIND TURBINE PUMP AND FARMING EQUIPMENTS . NUMBER 99. IF YOU DR. BERMUDA GREEN ARE INTERESTED LET ME KNOW.
  • 99. Ramadhani Masudi said on 11/18/2013 7:37:29 AM
    Dear all, I am Tanzanian who invested in farming. I am growing onions and Mushroom. I am looking for a good markets for onions, cucumber, watermelons, peppers and mushroom. I will be so glad to have your response. Best regards, Rogers
  • 100. Lilian said on 11/26/2013 3:04:04 AM
    Hi! I'm Lilian from Tanzania. I live in Nairobi. I want to start onions business. Right now I have ready market in Nairobi town. I want to take onions from Arusha-TZ but problem is cost of buying onions and transport are very high. Please advice me.
  • 101. Ssenkezi Gerald said on 1/10/2014 4:20:50 AM
    Thx 4 the useful info about onion farming. I am an armature onion farmer from Butambala District, south western Uganda, East Africa. I am in the equatorial region with temperatures ranging 20-30 degrees celcius. The biggest problem is water as i farm upland. I am not yet in position to afford irrigation equipment. Even getting the Jamba F1 hybrid seeds is very expensive about US$276.70/tin of seeds. How can i get subsidised seeds? Yours in farming spirit. Gerald
  • 102. Mage Christian said on 1/17/2014 8:57:33 AM
    Hello Aloyce Kisaka... am reading your message and I think I found you at a right time. I am actually recently been looking for an area where I can start to invest in onions production. Please contact me via my email: meshcorporate@gmail.com ASAP. thanks..
  • 103. Cannon said on 2/9/2014 6:23:01 AM
    Hi, I am Zambian and I would like to know the kind of herbicide i can use in an onion field
  • 104. Joseph Okiro Nyabuto said on 2/27/2014 4:35:06 AM
    BESTING IN Nakuru Kenya; i could like to know more about onions planting. do i need to do irrigation for my small scale farming and what will i need to improve my yield
  • 105. opima ronald said on 3/8/2014 9:13:33 AM
    hi i'm based in tororo uganda i intend to do extensive onion farming this tear what do i need
  • 106. Brian said on 3/11/2014 5:09:49 AM
    I am from Uganda and i want to know what the size of nursery bed should be if i am preparing it to cultivate 1 acre of onions.
  • 107. john ekperi said on 4/10/2014 1:33:15 PM
    I am a farmer from abia state south east nigeria, I want to know when and whether onions can grow in my area. pls give me right information so that I will start planting it
  • 108. Sam Bin Kad said on 4/21/2014 3:40:18 AM
    Thanks for sharing this crucial information. Am from Uganda(East Africa) currently in Israel. I have liked onion business and am looking forward to do it in Uganda as soon as I go back. Am looking forward to meet people I can corporate with in this business. email me at stubwangye@gmail.com
  • 109. STEPHEN WARUO said on 4/21/2014 6:12:18 AM
    PLEASE SEND ME THE 108 RESPONSES ON HOW TO GROW ONIONS IN NYERI, KENYA.
  • 110. odongo simon peter said on 4/30/2014 8:50:42 AM
    hi am a ugandan from gulu northern part of uganda. i would like to know where i can get red passion f1 seeds from uganda. thanks you
  • 111. Aloyce Makiya said on 5/9/2014 10:56:21 AM
    I am from Iringa Tanzania, I would like to know how many bags of onions of 100 kg each can be produced from one acre, if well maintained. Thanks
  • 112. mugove chishiri said on 5/12/2014 9:01:55 AM
    am in chinhoyi zimbabwe and i would like to grow onions, is it favorable to start growing them in july taking into considerations that temperatures will be low and please advice me on the type and amount of water needed per week. also which is the best seed to use. how much kgs of seed do i need, correct spacing and expected harvest per hector
  • 113. wanyoto felix said on 5/20/2014 10:11:12 PM
    i am working with a company called Dream team uganda, we teach farmers on how to have their plants grow up faster and how to apply non toxic fertilizers/ organic fertilizers, trust me any one seriously interested in any crop growing and to have better yields should email me or call me and we can fix an appointment/ talk more and only serious farmers please! no matter which country u are. +256705112669, +256781052973
  • 114. Alex Ronald said on 6/7/2014 4:11:31 PM
    I would like to contact Zzaitan zinyamd from chinioyi in zimbabwe how wants to grow onions please can you send me his email or address
  • 115. lord zablon said on 6/8/2014 6:30:13 AM
    Hi am kenyan from western kenya wants to grow onions on two acre land. I need information from planting to sell of the commodity and the best season to plant.
  • 116. luke singandu said on 7/3/2014 3:49:54 PM
    I'm luke signandu of Zambia central province. I have planted my onion nursery on 22 june 2014 1 and half kg. I would like more information about planting space in the beds and advise whether not to plant in beds. also advise me if there is a type of onion I can plant in the rain season fert type and any other gen infor. I will appreciate as onion in Zambia is big business in rain season.My cell no is 0979912033
  • 117. emma cherops said on 7/10/2014 6:37:16 AM
    well, thanks for all the responses guy have made, i read mob guys want lots of help from donors or well wishers, but i think they can get help from their own countries and district farming organizations and, or rather begin small scale and sale from the nearby markets, step by step makes a big bundle please let us stop begging while we have good fertile soils
  • 118. shameem said on 7/12/2014 4:13:55 PM
    I would like to start an onion farm in South part of India I wish to know does it's a suitable place for farming onion, I read this passage but its says the best times for farming onion is October, is that means we can plant only in the months October? But I am bit wondering to know how many times we can plant onions in a year.
  • 119. joshua lungu said on 8/14/2014 7:18:44 AM
    am running a group of small scale farmers in lundazi district of eastern province of Zambia. the number is currently at 45 farmers these are contract farmers whom we give onion seeds and share 50 percent after harvest. we are looking for partners in organic fertilizer. please wanyoto Felix from Uganda dream team contact me on +260966412073 or email me on zimbalitrading@gmail.com we want to grow organic onion. I also want information on which onion seed is fast maturing from December to march as this is the time onion is expensive in Zambia. where should I grow rain fed onion? garden or upper land field? Joshua lungu. zambia
  • 120. Simon Seuri said on 8/22/2014 10:01:32 AM
    I have enough land at Bagamoyo Tanzania with availability of fresh water and I want to plant onions, how can i go about it, Kindly advice on capital and all information regards this plantation. Simon Seuri
  • 121. kidewa ndeka louis said on 10/3/2014 4:49:18 AM
    i want to farm onions in the northern regions of Cameroon. i want to know all it will take for and effective start. need to know the seasons and procedure of plantingif. please, i need general onions farming techniques information. thank you
  • 122. Emily said on 10/21/2014 5:11:36 AM
    I am interested in growing onions in Embu. What is the best bulb variety
  • 123. Maraga S said on 10/30/2014 9:53:31 AM
    how many tonnes can one expect to get from a one ha farm after planting onions using an inter-row spacing of 5cm and in-row of 30cm. assuming all the fertilizers are applied together with a correct amount of moisture
  • 124. Maraga S said on 10/30/2014 9:55:57 AM
    Teach me how to farm onions in Marondera, mashonaland East Province, Zimbabwe
  • 125. Nia said on 12/3/2014 2:35:47 PM
    Would like to start onion farming Bainbridge Georgia..on my extra land
  • 126. dennis said on 1/5/2015 1:53:22 PM
    I have just acquired 5acres, how many kilos of onions can I estimate to harvest in a season if I adhere to the right growing conditions?
  • 127. Alex KM said on 1/13/2015 10:38:49 PM
    Hullo, I would like to grow onions in Uganda, Luwero district zirobwe sub county. I did a trial & it was successful, but since then I have had 2 unsuccessful attempts. Besides the said trial, I have no prior experience and so I need to learners much as I can about onion farming. Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you. Alex, Kampala Uganda
  • 128. justine said on 2/6/2015 1:10:15 AM
    I have land in both mbale uganda and in bungoma kenya and would like to know the right time to plant the onions in both places. and which kinds of onions do best in both areas. thanks in advance.
  • 129. njenga simon said on 2/22/2015 11:41:07 AM
    Hello, am interested in growing bulb onions at Wiyumiririe and Njebi area near Nyahururu, which is the best variety and when should i plant, please also advice on market and price per kg around this area.
  • 130. connie kayegi said on 3/12/2015 11:40:51 AM
    hello i have already land in mbale and am interested in growing onions which variety is the best and where do i buy genuine products and how do go about it? God bless you.
  • 131. zabron George said on 3/12/2015 3:15:17 PM
    please help me, I need to plant saumu onions, so how can I do? May plz try to elaborate the whole process in short. Thanks
  • 132. Joe muthui said on 3/24/2015 1:37:59 PM
    Central Kenya i would 2 know how 2 cultivate onions and what is the best variety considering the climate.
  • 133. paul nkansah said on 3/25/2015 10:56:06 AM
    I come from Ghana West Africa i am interested in onion farming i need more information. THANK YOU.
  • 134. ISMAIL said on 4/19/2015 6:36:21 AM
    am ismail from uganda masindi, i would like to know the best onion type in sandy loamy soils. also i welcome partners from the globe who can partner with me to do farming on my 100 acre piece of land. thank you
  • 135. PARGAT SINGH said on 4/29/2015 2:43:12 AM
    i am interesting in onion farming i'm contract the companies in india
  • 136. Ssali Ashraf.S said on 4/30/2015 1:58:30 AM
    Hi, thnx for the guide am starting Onion farming am from Uganda but i will always need guidance, what are the main fertilizers need by onions
  • 137. mavid kd said on 6/2/2015 9:50:55 AM
    am from uganda, my seeds have germinated now 6 days when do i transplant and what are the spaces suitable
  • 138. JULIUS said on 6/16/2015 12:12:15 PM
    I am in kaberamaido, kampala, uganda i have been planting onions but the problem is they less weight what could be wrong? I need some help plz (+256777766378)
  • 139. Sheilla Atuhumuza said on 6/19/2015 3:45:09 AM
    I am in Kampala, doing my farming in Mattuga, after this season were i have planted cabbages i wanted to put in onions, but i need more knowledge about how onions are to be grown. Thank you, 0774692423
  • 140. Bob said on 6/20/2015 11:52:53 AM
    Kampala, Hey all who want info about onion growing can contact me on my email. btechnetworks@gmail.com. My mother land where i am born does it for so many years back. the challenge for us we face is where to export them to for bigger profits. we have tons of them
  • 141. kailash diwan said on 7/7/2015 12:36:09 AM
    I am planning to grow onion in central india (m.p.)but labour is not available here. I want to know about various type of machines for onion bulb and seed plating. My I.d. is kailashdiwan9@gmail.com, Regards.
  • 142. Tumusiime Dickson said on 7/22/2015 1:59:13 PM
    i live in Uganda East Africa thanks for your advice, i really want to grow onions and my question is how much can it cost me to grow up onions on 2 acres of land and what are the yields?
  • 143. norman mukandagumbo said on 8/31/2015 8:45:16 AM
    i am in the business of growing onions in Zimbabwe, around Mhondoro area (for now its one hactre). l am looking for buyers who buy onions at wholesale price. contact me at norman95@ymail.com
  • 144. Fortune T Tutayi said on 9/10/2015 9:51:35 AM
    Would like to start onion farming in shamva Zimbabwe. On a 3600square metres land. What do i need to start the project.
  • 145. isaac w njoroge said on 9/15/2015 2:58:11 AM
    I have seen your creative development in YouTube and got interested in onions plantation. am from molo Kenya, how can you assist in terms of the best time to plant and which seed should I use? please help
  • 146. joseph matambo said on 10/4/2015 4:22:09 PM
    I want to start farming in onion on my 10 hacters farm in lusaka district of zambia. i do not enough finances i need a partner and also technical knowledge about farming. Regards Joseph Matambo, Cell +260966436868
  • 147. priscilla simon said on 11/8/2015 12:33:15 PM
    Hello,I am interested in onion farming at Mbeya region, Tanzania in a 4 acre land. please, assist me with more knowledge on the type of seeds, fertilizers and diseases affecting onions. how many bags( kilograms/hectare )? estimated capital per hectare? plus anyone who is interested in farming onions at Mbeya, please email simonpriscila1920@gmail.com
  • 148. murungi don Tumusiime said on 2/2/2016 4:45:46 AM
    hi , I'm MURUNGI don Tumusiime, what fertilizers can be used in onion growing ,in Uganda ,kibaale district ,muhorro town council, thanks for service
  • 149. Vitalis oduor beginner adviser said on 2/7/2016 12:15:11 AM
    Am vitalis oduor from Kenya,a consultant in crop production,whoever needs information on onion production to contact me.

info.safecrane@gmail.com || Consultant

• 150. paul wanderi said on 2/10/2016 4:25:38 AM
    Hello Vitalis l need to know more about onions how can l contact you. Regards Paul
  • 151. Nyasha Mtukwa said on 3/28/2016 7:44:55 PM
    Hi, I would like to start farming onions on a 1hactare piece of land in Midlands area, Zimbabwe. Please assist with valuable information to start.
  • 152. Paul Nayaga said on 4/26/2016 8:03:50 AM
    Hi, i am in Ghana, western region to be precise. I want to go into the onion business but with no idea on when to start, the type of soil suitable, diseases, temperature etc. thanks for your cooperation.
  • 153. Paul H. Moyo said on 5/16/2016 9:35:47 AM
    I am in Zambia, my name is Paul H Moyo. I want to grow onion during rainy season. I am based in Lusaka I have 6 hacters of land. I do not know how to grow onion during rain season , that is when prices are very high. Can one use weed killer for weeds in onion?
  • 154. MWANSA D MWESHI said on 6/21/2016 11:18:17 AM
    I am in Zambian My name MWansa D mweshi is possible to use weed killer in Onion production and how to go about it.
  • 155. nickie karima said on 6/27/2016 2:34:10 PM
    My name is nickie karima from shamva district mashonaland central province zimbabwe. Would like to do two hectares of onion and looking for a serious partner. Any one interested contact me on my email.
  • 156. Giuseppe savarino said on 6/29/2016 6:22:33 AM
    I would like to grow onion but I would like it to grow during rainy season but I dont know how to or the possibility. giuseppe savarino Zambia
  • 157. samaila madi yusuf said on 7/14/2016 11:23:05 AM
    I am currently farming onions and paper and it is not easy as capital is slowing so many activities in the farm i am a small scale farmer and i am in need of assistance to become a large scale or medium scale farmer.
  • 158. samaila madi yusuf said on 7/14/2016 11:27:27 AM
    It is not easy to farm in large scale as a small scale farmer i am still finding it difficult to maintain a small farm but i believe with need assistance i can do so much and achieve so much thank you. Nigeria, Kano State.
  • 159. VICTOR JUSTINE said on 8/28/2016 7:39:24 AM
    what minimum cost you can start with to grow an onions within 1 acres and in Tanzania which month is suitable for it? FROM DAR ES SALAAM(TANZANIA MAINLAND)
  • 160. NORMAN WAYNE said on 9/9/2016 9:38:48 AM
    @NIKIE KARIMA...you did not provide your email address. i am interested
  • 161. mpundu bright said on 10/7/2016 10:24:13 AM
    i am about to start transplanting my red onion on one acre land . would my red onion survive in the rainy season
  • 162. wilfred ngwira said on 11/27/2016 5:00:42 AM
    I am from Malawi and a beginner in onion production. What is the best time to grow onions and can i grow all the year round?
  • 163. FRED said on 12/22/2016 8:32:29 AM
    At Nairobi,Kenya. I have harvested 4 tons of fresh & pungent red bulb onion. For supplies, Kindly contact me on tel: +254 720 533 268
  • 164. Reagan Ndamikwa said on 1/7/2017 11:59:11 PM
    I want to do 6 hectares of onion in Ndola Zambia. I have just started land preparation. What seed requirement do I need to buy? My email: kareagroup@gmail.com