Starting a Funeral Home Business

Learn what you need to know in order to start your very own funeral home business. Why put up a funeral home? What are the rewards people get from running a funeral home business? Find out the basics you need to know to before setting up a funeral home business. Discover the trends in the funeral service industry.

Helping people out during the worst time of their life is a very rewarding experience.

funeral home

This is where those engaged in the funeral home business derive their satisfaction from. They seek to give comfort to the family and loved ones of the deceased during their time of sorrow. In return, the funeral home people are rewarded with an immeasurable sense of fulfillment.

Getting Started with Funeral Business

Intangible reward aside, the fact that a funeral home is a business must not be discounted. In starting a business one must first familiarize oneself with the industry. Try to get an overview of how the funeral business operates. There are tons of resources at your disposal. Be sure to make use of it. Reading up on the subject will give you a clearer picture of what works and what doesn’t.

Come up with a management plan. Find out the necessary legal papers you must procure to operate a funeral home. Try and asses your finances. Find out how much you need to shell out as start up capital. Make a study and figure out how long it will take you to get a return on your investment. It would help if you have a detailed finance allocation plan from the start.

Remember, every business endeavor requires a huge dose of time, and energy but if you do your best, success is foreseeable. This is a sure shot way to get your funeral home business up and running.

Client Preference for Funeral Business

Study your market. Find out who your primary clients are. Your services must be geared towards their needs. Figure out what your competitive advantage is over the other players. This will help you in creating your marketing strategy, which is another must in every business plan.

Studies show that the primary reasons why people choose a particular funeral home is because the said home has previously served their family. However, this reason should not be a cause for discouragement. There are other factors that affect a prospective client’s decision. More often than not, people are inclined to select a funeral home that is close by and easily accessible. People are also keen on funeral homes which they been to before and which they know has a good reputation and a fair service price.

Pricing for Funeral Business

On average, the amount needed to get a funeral going is $6,000 to $6,500. This includes: embalming, viewings, cosmetics, professional charges, transportation expenses.

Other charges may be required for cremation, graveside funerals, obituary announcements, online memorial programs, assistance in the procurement of mandatory paperwork such as death certificates and burial permits and so on.

A general price list is compulsory. Every funeral home must have one. Although package pricing is allowed, it is recommended to have an itemized price list for all the services and products offered. Try to develop a price list that is both workable and competitive.

On a side note

Consider including cremation as part of your service. The current cremation rate in the U.S. is a hefty thirty percent (30%) and it is projected to reach up to 50% in ten years time. This increase may be attributed to (1) the fact that cremation is now more acceptable. (2) There are the environmental factors to consider. (3) The rising level of education vis-à-vis the weakening ties to tradition.

• Starting a Pet Cemetery Business
    Are you in the pet cremation business? You should begin with a plan of action that includes details like the services, the supplies, marketing, and finance.
  • Casket Business Guide
    Looking for information on how to start a coffin business? It’s not a glamorous business but it’s a business that fills a basic need in a life end. This article will give you data how to start on the right foot.

• 1. Robin K. Melton said on 5/24/2008
    I want information about what primarily will be the start cost to operate a funeral home.
  • 2. Anabela said on 6/2/2008
    I need all the information I can get on how to start a funeral home business. Can any one provide more internet resource info? Much appreciated.
  • 3. Patricia Owen said on 12/12/2008
    How can I be sure we are keeping all appropriate records in our funeral home office? Is there a list of each item to be maintained? Where? Respond to: owenqcmgmt@bellsouth.net
  • 4. Kyle  said on 12/14/2008
    Hi there, i am in New Zealand and have worked in a few funeral homes and am looking at starting my own and just want to get a bit more info if anyone can help that would be great also looking to get a job back in the trade.
  • 5. John said on 12/19/2008
    I would like some information on starting a corpse removal, pickup and delivery service, where we would pick-up from any hospital and deliver to any funeral home.
  • 6. Jamitra Martynyuk said on 12/30/2008
    I would like to obtain all the information I can on starting a funeral home business. If anyone has any information please email me at murphyjamitra@bellsouth.net
  • 7. Guest said on 1/4/2009 10:43:27 PM
    Hi. I would like any information on starting a funeral home business. Please email me at alex1san@yahoo.com if there is anyone with any helpful information. Thank you.
  • 8. Vawters said on 1/6/2009 3:25:49 PM
    I know of funeral directors that are not well known, however know the business, i plan to work and learn from them as well, and i know WHY.
  • 9. Vawters said on 1/6/2009 3:30:07 PM
    ...AND I KNOW WHY I WANT TO OWN A FUNERAL HOME, BECAUSE I WANT TO HELP THOSE IN NEED! My question is would i have to have some type of degree or schooling of some sort? or is hands on training the best way?
  • 10. Mary said on 2/7/2009 4:01:30 PM
    I would like to get as much info as possible on how to start up a funeral home service. Also is the director required to obtain a formal degree.
  • 11. brendan said on 2/7/2009 8:55:02 PM
    how much does it cost to get the funeral home started? what degrees or certificates do i need?
  • 12. Roy said on 2/8/2009 1:44:06 PM
    I was a funeral home business owner, any serious inquires please email me.
  • 13. Nicole said on 2/11/2009 9:12:02 PM
    Hi, I live in Queensland, Australia, I need to know who to go to, to get the ball rolling in starting my own funeral home. Roy what is your email address?
  • 14. veronica Turner said on 2/16/2009 12:46:25 AM
    Roy can you please give some counsel on how to start a funeral biz. What time of overhead capital will i need, who would i need to employ, where do i get the property to accommodate such an ordeal etc. Thank you for your time.
  • 15. Roy said on 2/18/2009 2:39:45 PM
    To start a Funeral home business, you need to look at your community. How many mortuaries are in the area? What is the cremation rate versus burials? Where is the Mortuary college located? Who owns the crematorium? Who opens and closes the graves? It is about trust and professionalism. You are dealing with a different generation, Your appearance is important. No one wants to talk with a funeral director with a ring in the tongue or eyebrow ring...just examples
  • 16. ian said on 2/22/2009 6:33:34 AM
    Hello Roy I'm also interested of putting a funeral business. Actually I already bought a funeral hearse and I have a business permit already. I want to have your advise/tips on the management and marketing aspect.
  • 17. Yolanda Angels said on 2/23/2009 12:41:58 AM
    Hi all, those will the important ideas and views on how i can start a funeral parlor. Feel free to email me on the above email address. Looking forward for all the responses. Thank you.
  • 18. Roy said on 2/23/2009 7:04:39 AM
    Hi, google mortuary management and look at the abbott and hast link, read some of the issues that relate to funeral homes and funeral home operations.
  • 19. latrice said on 2/24/2009 2:21:26 PM
    please send me info. how to get started with owning a funeral home business. as much as possible.
  • 20. Mabel said on 2/25/2009 10:29:34 AM
    Hi All, I need information on how to start a funeral parlour, feel free to email me on the above email address. Looking forward to your email. Thank you
  • 21. Leydi Montenegro said on 2/25/2009 12:19:48 PM
    Hello. I am currently a high school student and I have to start a capstone which is related to my career path. I have to start my capstone from nothing and it is to open up a funeral home. I have so many questions so if anyone can be of any help, please email me at Leydim91@yahoo.com
  • 22. Roy said on 2/26/2009 8:56:45 AM
    I have been following this site for a little while. Why is it that none of you have visited with your local Funeral Home.? If you look at your local F.H. You will find that the owner or director is very active in your community and are more than happy to talk and give information freely. Have your Funeral Director/Embalmer visit your school and talk about what it takes to be a good F.D.
  • 23. Kim said on 2/26/2009 9:03:28 PM
    Hello Roy, Please send me any information on starting a Funeral Home. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
  • 24. KEYS said on 3/1/2009 5:31:49 PM
    barry where are you located? if you're serious let's talk. iegohi@yahoo.com put FH in subject line.
  • 25. sarah said on 3/2/2009 3:00:35 AM
    Hello i am looking for information to start a funeral home, somewhere in the northen cape. Can you please tell me if i wanna make it a goverment organasation where to start and who to contact?
  • 26. Barry Fields said on 3/5/2009 9:12:34 PM
    I'm interested in starting a funeral home business.I tried to email you at iegohi@yahoo.com but it failed to go through, so please email me back at pfields4@bellsouth.net
  • 27. patience said on 3/8/2009 9:30:32 AM
    hi, i really need information about starting a funeral business, the cost and the necessary papers.
  • 28. Nicky said on 3/9/2009 6:11:33 AM
    Hi Roy, I've a keen interest in starting up my own funeral parlour business. I approached people who are presently directing funerals but most of them could not give me all the info I needed. I would like to at least have a rough estimation what would be the start up costs, and the standard requirements. Thank you. My email address is nr8588@gmail.com
  • 29. Ronnie said on 3/10/2009 6:19:49 PM
    I am interested in starting my own funeral business can anyone help me and tell me of the start up cost...I am really in need of help.
  • 30. J. Porter said on 3/17/2009 4:18:48 PM
    Can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to how much a license to open a funeral home costs? Thanks.
  • 31. Rasheeda Wooten said on 3/19/2009 12:53:45 AM
    Hi, my name is Rasheeda and I am currently taking a management course. I was told to pick a business to own and write a business plan. I have always been interested in operating a funeral home so this was my business of choice. Before starting the class, I had done research on schools that offer the funeral service curriculum. The closest is 2 hours from where I reside. anyway, I am like most others on this site inquiring information on a business plan for Funeral Service. I do plan on visiting a funeral home in my area but would also like other insights for my plan. Samples of funeral service business plans are very limited on the web. I also need to know who I would contact in my area to get specific permits etc.. If anyone can lead me in the right direction please email me at rwooten4@ccp.edu. Thank You
  • 32. Roy said on 3/22/2009 12:32:22 PM
    The best I can tell you about cost. 1) are you going to have a chapel, preparation room, viewing room, family room, a flower van, a hearse, a van to transport the deceased. A family car/limo. A crematorium???? A casket/urn display room. You can go to www.danerimortuary.com and see what you might need So you need a building at least 5k sq ft. @ .75 - 125. per sq. ft. Decorations, furniture, cars, employees, taxes, insurance. Enough capitol to last at least 5 years. You are going to take a long time getting the trust of the community. For everyone's ballpark number.350K to 500K will work if you are very tight with your money and you want to provide excellent service. Our payroll and insurance was almost 35K per month...and god forbid you don't pay your Workman's comp. Ins. Good Luck
  • 33. Vampira Sunset said on 3/22/2009 5:32:04 PM
    hi my name is Vampira and i want to do a mortuary cosmetics course and i cant find one in Australia anywhere... can anyone help?
  • 34. RAYNA said on 3/27/2009 1:59:59 PM
    i would like to know how to start a business step by step process i am really interested in owning a funeral home as a business please contact me if you can help me further on this subject thank you.
  • 35. Michaels said on 4/6/2009 3:50:12 AM
    Being in Africa and Zimbabwe, there is a need for a people friendly, someone who cares about the poor Zimbabwean, the unemployment rate is high, HIV/AIDS challenges etc. Starting a funeral service / company in such an environment is difficult. I am looking for information on NGOs that would be willing to fund a funeral business with the aim of helping HIV/AIDS affected families, helping bury their infected etc. Does anyone know of those that would want to help start such a business Idea in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. If you want to get in touch with me on jabsmichaels@yahoo.com
  • 36. POPPY MORE said on 4/8/2009 5:29:02 AM
    KINDLY ADVICE ON AREAS IN SOUTH AFRICA WHICH GIVE COURSES ON COFFIN BUSINESS. THANKS
  • 37. anzo said on 4/11/2009 5:14:25 PM
    hi, i am living in south africa and would also like to know where to get hold of courses in our country and also courses in building coffins and the most important do i need a license to work with the diseased? thanks
  • 38. dominique gardner said on 4/15/2009 1:54:02 PM
    i'm currently in college taking up business management and i'm highly interested in owning and running my own funeral home. this is something that i'm very passionate about and need help with resources and other things that i might need to know to run a funeral home thanks a lot. e-mail address is mrdeegardner@yahoo.com
  • 39. olebeng kgasa said on 4/16/2009 5:47:53 AM
    i would like to start a funeral parlor and sell coffins but i don't know where to start.
  • 40. Rondrietta Foust said on 4/16/2009 5:44:40 PM
    I've always known at the age of 10 that I would like to help people in need. As of today I am in the medical field and would like to own my own funeral business. My question is where do I begin? And how do I get started?
  • 41. Roy said on 4/23/2009 1:53:22 AM
    I have what it requires to open and operate a Funeral Home. To make contracts with coroners. Operate a crematorium. Can embalm and do restorative art. Have what it requires to sell funeral insurance and pre need services. If you are interested and have 275K I am the partner for you. Can be available after 2010. Serious inquires only Please.
  • 42. Jillian Davis said on 4/30/2009 5:41:39 PM
    Can someone please tell me where i need to start as far as owning my own funeral business.
  • 43. HOPEWELL M sishi said on 5/2/2009 4:08:53 PM
    i would like to acquire a book which details the parlor funeral business from the beginning to end.
  • 44. Pepi Jackson said on 5/12/2009 2:36:25 PM
    I am in southern California, and I'm interested in starting a funeral home business, but I need the "how to" step by step, can you help?
  • 45. Nerissa Grandberry said on 5/15/2009 11:58:37 AM
    Would like information on the start up and requirements for providing funeral services.
  • 46. Grant Anthony De Beer said on 5/18/2009 4:22:11 AM
    Hi, do you know of any funeral businesses that are for sale in south africa. i work in Afghanistan but would like to acquire a good funeral business as this will help me to get back home some or other time.
  • 47. justin said on 5/19/2009 12:22:11 AM
    I have a funeral home in Mississippi. Searching for business partner. Serious clients only.
  • 48. Roy said on 5/19/2009 8:04:59 PM
    Justin, Please send me your private email. I have owned and operated a funeral home in California. www.danerimortuary.com
  • 49. Carolyn Brown said on 5/25/2009 5:48:38 PM
    I would like to have information you could give me. In this area funeral homes and gathering places are needed. I have always wanted to own a funeral home to help others because now when there is a death in my community, we have to borrow a place if the family is a large one. I have financing but have no idea where to start on writing up my plan/cost which includes property purchasing, education (director), building and then the business.
  • 50. kovey said on 5/27/2009 11:01:48 PM
    also u can go to 125aday.com and get the starter book and from what i hear its very helpful for beginners looking into opening a funeral home. i plan to order it myself real soon. i know a mortician and she knows people and she knows a family in conneticut that does it right out there home but of course they have basements so i dont feel its that hard to get started if you got the right people on your team. i'm not trying to get rich i'm just trying to pay my bills n help others in the process u need a director/ mortician and some greeters a bookkeeper and a building. clients all that's doable and my eyes if you are motivated so good luck to use all trying to marketing happen.
  • 51. bonah khumalo said on 5/29/2009 5:30:20 AM
    hi i'm a journalism student doing my last year.. and i am interested in opening my own funeral parlor, please help on what i must do in order to start my business and to succeed.
  • 52. Karen said on 5/31/2009 10:03:51 AM
    Can anyone please provide me with any information on how to start a funeral home business or selling funeral accessories. Or perhaps can any one provide me with any internet resource info? I would really appreciate if you could send this to me by email. I am in UK.
  • 53. Angela said on 5/31/2009 1:30:36 PM
    Hi... Can anyone please help me with information regarding starting up a funeral parlour. I need step by step information. The information will be highly appreciated.
  • 54. benjamin said on 6/3/2009 12:31:35 PM
    hi, can someone advise me what sort of partners i can involve with my business, do they have to have a heart for the community or do they have o want it for profit. i am in zimbabwe. my dad has one but in a different town but he says i should set up one here in harare the capital city.
  • 55. Evans said on 6/9/2009 11:58:07 AM
    I need your help as i strive to set up a funeral home business, my girlfriend is saying i should not but I am positive and will do it, please help me.
  • 56. Marcia Reid-Brown said on 6/18/2009 7:42:44 PM
    My husband is desirous of starting a Funeral home Business. He needs a sample proposal so that he can go ahead to secure land to build this funeral home. Can you E-mail any information to me or send me contacts of persons who can help? Thank you. We are from the beautiful Island of Jamaica
  • 57. Mpho said on 6/19/2009 3:42:32 PM
    hi, Can anyone please help me with information regarding starting up a funeral parlour. I need step by step information and all legal requirements.
  • 58. Bessie gilchrist said on 6/20/2009 10:52:30 AM
    Please help me with information regarding starting up a funeral parlour. I need step by step information and all legal requirements.
  • 59. Bessie gilchrist said on 6/20/2009 10:59:52 AM
    HI ROY CAN U EMAIL, LETS TALK, I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTION ABOUT FINACIAL PLAN FOR A FUNERAL HOME BUSINESS.
  • 60. Nkosie said on 6/22/2009 5:54:28 AM
    Hi Roy, I want to start a funeral cover (POLICY)and I don't want a funeral parlour. I want to help people over the age of 85 years who can't be covered by other insurance companies. What must I do to follow legal procedures and I am in South Africa. Please help me..
  • 61. kari said on 6/27/2009 2:00:49 PM
    I want to open a shop that works with the different funeral homes. I would like to open my own custom casket business. How would I go about doing so and dose anyone have resources that they can offer to guide my in the right direction.
  • 62. Chris B said on 6/28/2009 12:05:20 PM
    Can anyone tell me how many funerals a month an average funeral home has? Writing a paper for school and can't figure out how to forecast the number of funerals.
  • 63. Bessie said on 6/29/2009 3:55:19 PM
    UNITED STATES, RESIDENT ATLANTA GEORGIA. HEY GUYS JUSITIN AND ROY DON'T LEAVE ME OUT ON THE PARTNER DEALS CONCERNING THE FUNERAL HOME BUSINESS. PLEAS SEND ME A PERSONAL EMAIL THANKS!
  • 64. Jarod Morris said on 7/3/2009 5:56:26 PM
    Hi, I am 11 yrs Old And I want to Have My Own Funeral Home Before I Graduate High School. I talked My Parents into it, My mom said I would be scared and My Dad said Good Idea. I want to have my own business.
  • 65. Josh Shorter said on 7/9/2009 4:41:40 PM
    FUNERAL HOME INSURANCE-- My name is Josh Shorter and I specialize in Insuring Funeral Homes/Mortuary. I noticed a few of you had questions regarding insurance expenses and coverages. I would love to help. It is not as expensive as you think. Most insurance companies have no idea how to insure them correctly and affordably. I have helped many new funeral home owners find the right coverage for what they need. If you have questions either email them to me at joshs@upshaw-insurance.com or call me at 214-808-4517. Thank you and I will try to check back as often as possible.
  • 66. Bessie said on 7/10/2009 8:01:08 AM
    No Roy I didn't get your email I m going to try to email you also. please try again it is very important thanks.
  • 67. johnpatz said on 7/13/2009 8:48:49 PM
    what are the requirements if i have a funeral home business, is there anyone knows what are the requirements??? feel free to email me if you have any suggestions and send with me the requirements in putting up funeral home business.
  • 68. Sarah said on 7/14/2009 6:19:08 AM
    I am from Africa and want to help rural people by setting up a mortuary and funeral home. Would be grateful to get an outline of what is needed as materials, best and most economic set with stand by generator etc. Will be grateful if I can have a sponsor for this project to help express the love of God to the society.
  • 69. malebogo said on 7/30/2009 7:41:31 AM
    I have a plot and finance to start a mortuary business and i want guidance on the setup, materials needed and the operating procedures, i am based in Botswana next to South Africa in a small town by the name Selebi- Phikwe.
  • 70. Judy said on 8/3/2009 11:38:52 PM
    All the information is great but did anyone ever apply for government programs or loans to help start the mortuary business? If so, what site or directions I need to take? How long did it take to see a profit after your business got started? Please email me at judy2006@optonline.net. Thanks
  • 71. Anthony Ward said on 8/4/2009 6:50:48 PM
    Hi, my name is Anthony Ward and I will like to know the estimation what would be start up costs and standard requirement to starting funeral home parlor business. My email is anthonyward_21@yahoo.com
  • 72. Howard Hughes said on 8/12/2009 5:16:24 PM
    Can someone please direct me to the best sources of financing options to start a funeral business. Are their government programs available to assist in a project such as this? I have my license and have a lot of experience in the field, but do not have a clue about the best sources of affordable financing. Thanks
  • 73. Deena said on 8/13/2009 9:17:14 AM
    Need to know what the policies and requirements to open a funeral parlour in South Africa, Thanks
  • 74. David said on 8/15/2009 8:45:32 PM
    My name is David, i need help on starting a funeral parlour. I also need information and all legal requirements, as well as to offer funeral insurance to clients.
  • 75. masefako said on 8/18/2009 9:02:37 AM
    I want to start my own funeral parlor, what exactly do I need? I am studying to build caskets and coffins, I will be done in a week's time. please advise!
  • 76. Pat said on 8/19/2009 8:47:46 AM
    Need more information on legal requirements and policies on opening a funeral palour.
  • 77. Abdulazeez Musa said on 8/22/2009 9:25:04 PM
    WE are in the process of setting up a funeral centre in Nigeria. We have bought a plot of land. We need floor plans as samples Can any one help? We are also looking for cheap source of body freezers
  • 78. kenneth matthews said on 9/4/2009 5:43:43 AM
    yes this is one passion of business i will like to start in my community, as pass-on is a everyday thing in all community.... your assistant will help me big time. i live in cape town ocean view.
  • 79. Ben Russell said on 9/8/2009 6:12:01 PM
    Can you please help me on more information on opening a funeral home and cremation service. I am an intern almost done and my business partner owns a few funeral homes in Connecticut but we will be opening a funeral home in South Florida. Please help. I cant find any leads on laws and Osha requirements
  • 80. Marlene Blakely said on 9/10/2009 4:40:53 PM
    I would like to know how to start a funeral home business and what help I can get financially
  • 81. Roy said on 9/10/2009 10:32:20 PM
    Ben, Whats up, your partner who owns the other F.H. in Ct. should know more than anyone what OSHA regs are. As well as everything else to do with operating a F.H., He has no leads on the laws?
  • 82. Mark said on 9/17/2009 8:14:06 AM
    Good day, Some 20 years ago I was employed in the funeral bus. Strangely this desire in myself comes back to re-enter this business. Please advise step by step what should I do to start my own "FUNERAL SERVICE" I am currently residents in a rural area outside Cape Town S.A area. Please help with information. Our local FH did not give any information.
  • 83. Roy said on 9/20/2009 8:15:23 PM
    Hi Mark, I retired 4 years ago. I am interested in working again. I have been following this site for awhile. Please tell me why so much interest in S. Africa. What is the most practiced type of ceremony? What type of services to families choose? Who owns and operates the cemeteries and crematoriums? Where is the closest crematorium? In this world market are families honoring the costs? What is the cost of services?
  • 84. olebeng kgasa said on 9/22/2009 8:37:12 AM
    hi, Roy please help. i want to start my own home funeral business, i need of all the steps.
  • 85. Sonny Kibob said on 9/23/2009 11:10:00 PM
    Hi I am in Papua New Guinea, I really want to start up my funeral home business but I just want to know how I could actually start up this business. Could you kindly advice please.
  • 86. Roy said on 9/25/2009 3:39:51 AM
    Olebeng, Where are you looking at? If you or any others on this post are in good financial shape and believe that this is your life, not just a job, but it is a lifestyle, a community outreach to help. Money can not be a motive, other people in the saddest days of their lives are counting on you.
  • 87. John Andrews said on 9/29/2009 8:58:02 AM
    Hi i'm in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, in need of advice on how to start my own funeral business!
  • 88. James said on 9/30/2009 8:38:19 PM
    I need help in completing my business plan for a funeral home business. If any of you have samples or could help please, please help me, my e-mail address is ledifh@yahoo.com. Thanx!!!
  • 89. Kevin said on 10/4/2009 1:35:32 PM
    I need help like James in starting my business plan. Which books do you recommend solely for funeral homes. My email address is kphdhaines@aol.com
  • 90. Sewela Ramaotswa said on 10/7/2009 9:33:58 AM
    i need help with starting a funeral policy and what it entails and how do people pay and how do i pay them out
  • 91. Mylan Hamilton said on 10/10/2009 6:50:35 PM
    I am looking for a very serious partner to help me start my funeral home with! Serious e-mails only!! my e-mail is a.m.hamiltonfuneralservices@gmail.com
  • 92. Breana Daniels said on 10/12/2009 1:45:26 PM
    Hello my name is breana daniels and right now i'm a junior in high school and I live in kansas city, kansas. I want to have my own funeral home business for my career. I'm wondering what kinda classes I will need to take and what colleges would be good for me
  • 93. Wilhellem said on 10/13/2009 9:44:12 AM
    Hi, My name is wilhellem and i am from Namibia in Africa. I need someone to help me with information on how to start a funeral home and sell coffins too. Our population is about 2 million people with the majority with an average income of about R5000.00 a month. Your help would be highly appreciated. My e-mail is wilhellem@gmail.com
  • 94. Jamaica Hunter said on 10/16/2009 1:17:19 PM
    Hey my name is Jamaica Hunter i'm sixteen years old and since i've been six years old i wanted to work with the dead. I've never changed what i wanted to be but as I got older i also want to be a Forensic Science doctor. So i have big dreams .
  • 95. SeriousMan said on 10/19/2009 10:28:08 AM
    Plan to start my own funeral home and would like accurate, specific and expert advice on how to get started in terms of making it happen. Please help!
  • 96. Ashlyn said on 10/19/2009 7:39:00 PM
    This web site really helped me understand. I am 18 and i plan on going to college to be a mortician. Soon after that i want to stat my own business. So thanks for the info.
  • 97. Jen said on 10/20/2009 1:06:40 AM
    I have a suggestion for Roy, since everyone is looking to him as the expert. Roy, put together a booklet of everything you know, and sell it to all these people wanting info from you. You might could make a nice little profit. At least charge some consulting fees or something for your time helping these people out. Then you won't need a partner. You can keep all the dough for yourself.
  • 98. ms.blue said on 10/29/2009 8:55:27 AM
    I'm really interested in the mortuary business and i'm still in high school and i want to get to know more about this field so if anyone has any advice or words of encouragement then reply or send me a message
  • 99. Alicia Jones said on 11/4/2009 9:33:01 AM
    Hi looking to open an funeral home in a couple of months. I do know how the business works and would like to know if someone could give me some tips on how to have a successful business.
  • 100. Wanda Hurt said on 11/15/2009 1:24:33 PM
    I too am considering opening a funeral home as I have friends who have done so. I will be happy to share with anyone who needs information in the near future. I too am looking for a partner in South Florida there are several areas that have grown in population and there is not current FH in close proximity, interested contact me at WandaMHH@aol.com. thanks Roy for sharing good information to so many. Where in California are you from? Do you plan on staying there or relocating?
  • 101. Trees said on 11/16/2009 1:41:39 AM
    Hi, I'm from New Zealand. I'm looking to open a funeral home sometime in the next couple of years. I would like some accurate and specific advice from some experts. Could someone please advise me?!
  • 102. Myra Spence said on 11/18/2009 12:06:54 AM
    I am interested in starting a funeral home in Auckland, New Zealand. I am interested in advice regarding licensing, start-up capital necessary, and any other relevant important particulars on this business eg mandatory association participation.... Thank you in advance, M Spence
  • 103. Precious said on 12/1/2009 7:47:52 AM
    Hi, i'm looking to open a funeral parlor & i would like to know if someone can help me with all the necessary info & tips. Thank you.
  • 104. Marcus C said on 12/1/2009 11:48:31 AM
    Marcus from Trinidad and Tobago, English speaking Caribbean island located just off the south east coast of Venezuela.

We have several family owned and operated businesses within the island at present, and we have have been discussing the idea of opening a funeral home for the last couple of years since we have recognized a need. After discussing we are now ready to push the ball forward and are in the early stages of planning. Currently we are in negotiations for property. We have sourced some possible suppliers of funeral products etc. But our choices locally are limited when it comes to finding a qualified mortician. Are there any links out there where I can find possible candidates looking for works?

Also in terms of Mortuary I would like to find a listing of the possible equipment that we would need to procure. A detailed list embalming equipment. freezers, surgical etc.

If any one can assist I would be greatly appreciative.
    My email: cgc.tnt@gmail.com
  • 105. Yonella Tyuka said on 12/4/2009 5:23:06 AM
    Hi am Yonella and am also looking 4 ideas around this business, so if any one has any ideas please share them with me. thanks, Yonella
  • 106. Johannes Fortuin said on 12/15/2009 11:30:27 AM
    Hi, I am a funeral home owner and enjoy this service. It must first come from the heart, you must love the job and then see the money.
  • 107. Lindiwe Khumalo said on 12/17/2009 8:32:19 AM
    I want it to be in Durban @ South Africa, anyone can help me because i dont know where and how to start funeral parlor biz but i want to do it.
  • 108. CWILLIAMS said on 12/19/2009 10:56:32 AM
    I AM STARTING COLLEGE FOR MORTUARY SCIENCE @ CYPRESS COLLEGE, i AM INTERESTED TO HAVE ANY INFO ON STARTING THIS BUSINESS. ALL INFO ON THE SUBJECT IS APPRECIATED THANK YOU....CWILLIAMS
  • 109. Ebony Lacy said on 12/19/2009 1:14:24 PM
    Hello, I am looking into starting my own funeral business. I don't have any information but like to get some. If u could be of any help please e-mail me. Thanks Much I stay here in the USA, Raleigh North, Carolina.
  • 110. Roy said on 12/24/2009 12:36:22 PM
    I am a graduate of Cypress. Find a Mortuary to live in and work at during your time in school. They will give you all you need to make a good F.D./Embalmer...
  • 111. fionamccann said on 12/30/2009 5:32:36 AM
    hey i'm fiona from ireland a small place called omagh, there is one morgue here. the nearest funeral home is 25 to 30 miles where we took our dad when he passed i've always wanted to work or help in a funeral home as i would love to help the family of the deceased. if any one has the money to come over here and start own funeral home please email me i will be glad to help.
  • 112. Blanche Garcia said on 1/5/2010 3:59:26 AM
    Johannesburg, south africa. I want to start up a Cremation Brokerage: Doing cremation for parlors and undertakes
  • 113. Blanche Garcia said on 1/5/2010 4:11:44 AM
    Roy, is it wise to start a Cremation brokerage is South Africa Johannesburg
  • 114. ASHU DONALD EGBE said on 1/5/2010 11:33:32 AM
    i am ashu donald a Cameroonain of origin living in South Africa, i wish to operate a funeral home in my country in small town known as Muyuka, i will need a partner let it be as an NGO, there is only one mortuary but far from the town, and the town is surrounded with six different village, and there are so many dead because there are no good hospital, so i wish that we can make the business, and in every week you can get about ten corps in that not to talk of the other villages near, any body who is ready for us to operate, we can go to Cameroon and witness the number of dead before with setup the mortuary, my contact no is 0027727117820. thanks
  • 115. Ngidi Zamani said on 1/8/2010 7:59:51 AM
    Desperately need to start a funeral parlor, but dont know where to start. I do have to ck.
  • 116. Davendra Anamalay said on 1/16/2010 12:07:24 PM
    hi i would like to know where is the closes place to train in mortuary science and do i need mortuary science to own a funeral home and what other requirements i need
  • 117. Charlene Daniel said on 1/26/2010 4:23:20 AM
    I am a licensed and ordained minster, i attend the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atl. i currently lived in Atlanta, Ga. My fiance' graduated from Gupton Jones School of Mortuary Science in 2006. We are currently looking at starting our own Funeral Home, we have done all of the leg work so far we have completed a very thorough business plan, Incorporated the business in the state of Georgia, she has also completed her internship with Levett Funeral Home Inc. in Decatur, Ga. We are in need of financing at this point to move forward with a lucrative opportunity that has presented itself to us... please feel free to contact me @404-512-0109 or charlesdan04@yahoo.com or cdaniel@theschoolofprpserity.org. Thank You in Advance Charles Daniel
  • 118. lulu said on 2/7/2010 1:56:20 PM
    I am interested in corpse removal, pick up and delivery services from anywhere to funeral homes. Where do I start and what do I need to start? What papers do I need? How much money do I need to start? Any info welcome. Also looking for a partner to start this business. I stay in Pretoria in South Africa.
  • 119. D.HARRIS said on 2/15/2010 4:49:07 PM
    I'M LOOKING FOR MORE INFO ON THE BREAKDOWN OF STARTING $AMOUNT, HOW MANY PEOPLE I NEED ON STAFF & DO I NEED A DEGREE...
  • 120. maki said on 2/26/2010 4:47:14 AM
    hi, i want to start a funeral parlour at my home town. i recently had a funeral service for a family member and realized how poor are the services offered by the local existing funeral parlor. we had to do everything for ourselves and realized that i can start this services with better customer care. i need to know how much capital do i need to have for starting the business, getting cars including hearse, and where can i get training that includes embalming of the corpses. i stay in south africa, free state province.
  • 121. kenneth Ike said on 2/27/2010 9:43:43 AM
    i stay @ owerri and will like to know the cost and how profitable the biz is. i will be looking forward to hearing from you soon.
  • 122. Roy said on 2/27/2010 10:52:48 AM
    I have been sent several emails from people wanting help with transporting deceased out of So. Africa. I see a lot of post from So. Africa...These are scams...legitimate people looking to open and learn the funeral industry, watch out!!!!
  • 123. Desmond Scarboro said on 3/4/2010 4:25:44 PM
    Plan to start my own funeral home in the state of North carolina. Would like accurate, specific and expert advice on how to get started in terms of making it happen. I need to know the state requirements to the owner. I don't have any information but like to get some. If u could be of any help please e-mail me at scarboro-desmond@yahoo.com. Please help! LOOKING FOR INVESTMENT HAVE THE MONEY Serious clients only. E-MAIL scarboro_desmond@yahoo.com
  • 124. Robert Beck said on 3/4/2010 7:56:54 PM
    Birmingham, AL, USA. How effective are these funeral service on-line computer courses in helping you land a job in a funeral home? Roy, are you out there? I just discovered this website and am thrilled with the availability of this kind of information. My e-mail address is beckx2673@bellsouth.net
  • 125. Ebony Lacy said on 3/5/2010 5:04:02 PM
    Hello Roy, Looking into starting my own funeral home business. I could use some basic information if you would e-mail me it would be nice. Also, for any other person that may read this that can help me in this process please feel free to e-mail me at ebonylacy@ rocketmail.com.
  • 126. Dean said on 3/12/2010 3:10:17 AM
    I'm looking at starting my own funeral home and just need to know which legislative body do I need to consult with for compliance, and what capital do I need to start. I'm based in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
  • 127. Ndumiso Mthethwa said on 3/15/2010 11:51:14 AM
    I need more information about funeral parlour like cost of: Mortuary (Cold storage), Lowering Devices, Stands with Curtains, Stretches and minimum requirements that are required to start the business. I am ready to start at anytime. I have been there performing all the duties in mortuary.
  • 128. Harrison said on 3/15/2010 7:59:30 PM
    I would like to start a corpse removal Service (picking up and delivering the corpse to the funeral home of choice). However I would like to get some information on getting starting. What equipment is needed, cost, pricing of services, Insurance and legal requirements of the business. Is it best to purchase a used ambulance or hearse or some other vehicle for the transport? Thank you for any information you can render regarding this quest. I am in Michigan.
  • 129. Yonella Tyuka said on 3/27/2010 11:09:03 AM
    Hi all, its me again still waiting for something. This time am desperately need this info. Roy please help!!! I emailed you once and you did not respond. Please forward any info you have "starting your own F.H." PLEASE ROY and any one who can help. Thanks Yonella Tyuka ashley.tyuka@yahoo.com
  • 130. T.McClan said on 4/4/2010 4:31:31 PM
    I'm a funeral Director and would like to open my own funeral home. Please guide me own the best route to getting financing to open a small funeral chapel! Thanks Miami, Fl.
  • 131. Zipho Mdunge said on 4/15/2010 6:52:54 AM
    Hi there, I would like to start a funeral parlour business and haven't got much information on the legalities. Thanks. Port Shepstone, South Africa
  • 132. eric marquardt said on 4/23/2010 1:07:26 PM
    We can supply funeral equipment and caskets to funeral home. Please email us so that we can help out with the request.. Thanks Eric Marquardt, Sansom Mortuary Supply
  • 133. tom said on 4/28/2010 5:27:56 AM
    I am based in Glasgow (United Kingdom). I am looking to start up my own funeral home business. I am looking for information as to were we can find information on the legalities. Could you supply me with sources? Many Thanks, Tom Russell
  • 134. Mariska said on 4/30/2010 2:18:09 PM
    Want to start funeral services in South Africa, how and where do I start.
  • 135. Josh said on 5/1/2010 12:06:08 PM
    I'm looking to start my own funeral business in Canada, if anyone can give me any advice, please let me know.
  • 136. royboy said on 5/8/2010 1:45:41 PM
    i want to know why the hell you can run a funeral business out of your house.
  • 137. A.J. Baranello said on 5/17/2010 7:38:33 AM
    Dear Sir/Madam, I am very interested in starting a new business in the funeral services, here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Can you send me all necessary requirements needed for start up. I would appreciate all the help you can give me. Regards, A.J.Baranello
  • 138. Sibusiso said on 5/18/2010 8:11:41 AM
    Hi all, I'm currently operation a funeral business. I started this business with no capital just passion. What Roy suggested earlier on (Image) it's true. You need to be a professional at all times as long as you're a funeral director. my community is large but this does not mean I get business every day. I still strive for good image.

I registered in 2005, even now I have not completely got any return on investment because I re-invest in my project/business. My Question to Roy is : "How best do I market my services?". I'm based in South Africa (Kempton Park) - Ekurhuleni. We currently have 23 parlors (competitors) in your region. How do I stand out? Where to go for referrals/clients?
  • 139. Sibusiso said on 5/18/2010 8:24:37 AM
    My email: 39422607@mylife.unisa.ac.za. Oh! Guys cost to start a business may scare you, but you need to remember that you need to keep doors open for a long time thus even if you get R500K Start-up funds, if you don't have business acumen you will close shop soon.

My average Estimate is : R 100 - 150K Land, R100K Building, R 70k furniture and equipment, Then Cars (Fleet cost) min 2 (+- R250k) and stock cost.

NOTE: There are other hidden costs (administration and Workmanship) which I did not include Total R 650K in S.A.
  • 140. Robert J. Murphy said on 5/25/2010 5:18:47 PM
    Roy, I am a long time Illinois Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer. I am seriously interested in owning my own funeral home business; or a partnership to share responsibilities. I am a very good embalmer and reconstructive man as well as directing a funeral. I will consider any US State, with a reasonable economy. Loving the business is not enough as you know, you have to get enough first-calls to keep the doors open and pay the bills. I would love to stay here in the Chicago Area (I am in a good strong teamsters union funeral home) I am giving you my brief history because detail in this industry is paramount. I am also a Worsham College graduate. I am on two state committees. I belong to NFDA and IFDA. I know a lot of people in the business here in the Chicago area and know who I would employ right off the bat. Now, my question is how do you get financing, is venture capital something you would consider, I know where to get a business plan, marketing plan, I know where to get vendors and am friends with vendors, I do the ordering where I work for supplies etc. these are reasons that I hate to leave the Chicago area. I can buy supplies and furniture etc. from the corporation. I know where to go for that also because of all the funeral homes that they have closed down. Can you help me? my email is: robert.murphy59@yahoo.com I hope to hear from you.
  • 141. Betzaida B. Banaag M.D. said on 5/26/2010 5:21:23 AM
    City of San Jose del Monte, Bulacan, Philippines. My sister would like to venture in the funeral parlor business. will she encounter legal problems if she will position it adjacent or very near a restaurant? Thanks. Hope you can share with me experiences on this set up. God bless.
  • 142. Kavita Lal said on 6/9/2010 6:59:13 AM
    I have full experience about Funeral Business . I have worked for a Funeral company in Fiji. I am a Fiji citizen. I want to open my own Funeral company and I dont have finance If anyone can sponsor me with 50.000 Fijian Dollars which is less than 25.000 US Dollars. I am sure I will be able to pay them back once I start my business.
  • 143. Beck Cedro said on 6/12/2010 4:28:52 AM
    Fontana, California. Hello. I would like to ask for any assistance of information on how to start your own Funeral / Mortuary business. I need guidance of what to do first/ Please I would like to know how to get vendors, marketing, financing and ordering supplies. Do I have to be a Licensed Mortician in order to run a Funeral Parlor? thank you and God Bless.
  • 144. kgomotso Sikakane said on 6/14/2010 9:29:24 AM
    i reside in the east rand of Johannesburg South Africa. Can you please help me with information on how to start in a funeral home. thanx
  • 145. Winona said on 6/14/2010 5:17:18 PM
    Hello! Was wondering if anyone could tell me if you need to be a Mortician to open and run a funeral home?
  • 146. Carolyn said on 6/23/2010 10:11:26 PM
    Goodrich, Texas Polk County. I would like to start a funeral home business. Would someone please give me some suggestions on floor plans.
  • 147. Ashfaaq Khan said on 6/26/2010 1:25:05 AM
    Assalamo Alaikum,(peace be upon you) i live in Fiji islands , can someone send me one funeral business plan as its really hard to find one around. thanks. satfiji@hotmail.com
  • 148. Beverley Munoz said on 6/27/2010 4:52:39 PM
    I am based in Sheffield South Yorkshire and I have a funeral home which is working well. I am currently looking for a small investment. Is anyone interested. Thanks
  • 149. SHARA said on 7/1/2010 7:17:20 PM
    I AM LOCATED IN TEXAS, I AM INTERESTED IN STARTING A CORPSE REMOVAL SERVICE, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE,PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH ANY INFO, I WOULD NEED TO GET STARTED, AND ALSO WOULD I HAVE TO BE A LICENSED FUNERAL DIRECTOR TO START THE SERVICE? THANK YOU. SHARA77034@YAHOO.COM
  • 150. Phyllis Scott said on 7/2/2010 12:13:09 PM
    I am in Atlanta, Ga. and will be completed with my studies in December 2010 as a Funeral Director. I want to build a small Funeral Home. Who should I contact?
  • 151. Sandy said on 7/2/2010 12:43:37 PM
    Hello, I am curious about the profitability of funeral homes. Let's say you have been established a while and get about 30 cremations and/or burials a month. I hate to just ask about money, but I have to have a starting point to discuss with investors.
  • 152. Joann Johnson said on 7/6/2010 5:38:58 PM
    I'm in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. My question I've been working and being faithful in someone's vineyard, so now I feel it my time. so where do I look for monies to start up a funeral home. I do have a business plan. I took it to my pastors to look over, and a received very good feed back. So what my next step? Would appreciate it if someone with some really good advice would email me. thanks
  • 153. Vincent said on 7/11/2010 5:26:27 PM
    Hi my name is vincent kobe i am running funeral undertaker called Majakaneng funeral undertaker in place called Brits in North west South Africa. I need sponsorship in my business. Agent my number 0720785051
  • 154. JAPHETH OGAMBA said on 7/15/2010 1:01:12 AM
    Hi, my Names are japheth ogamba am a kenyan citizen by birth and located in kenya, NAIROBI CITY. Am interested in the study of mortuary science, embalming, and a funeral home business. I am a diploma holder in sales and marketing . But i do not have a job, and am 39 years old married with one kid. Is there GRANTS TO HELP DO THAT AND START THE BUSINESS, PLEASE ADVICE ME. GOD BLESS
  • 155. Hilltop Plus - Casket and Urn Manufacturer said on 7/18/2010 11:54:41 PM
    We are currently looking for outside sales Rep, let me know if you interest! We are a manufacturer of high end casket and urn in China. We have inventory in Guangdong Province, China and Los Angeles, USA. If you have your own design, we could custom made for you too. We could discuss further more Joint Venture, partnership, OEM, ODM and Private Label. If you need further info, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Edgar Lee, Hilltop Plus LLC, 430 S Garfield Ave #328 Alhambra, CA 91801, USA, Tel: 626-282-6321, US Cell: 626-274-3382 edgar.lee@hilltopplus.net , hilltopplus@aol.com
  • 156. elsie morare said on 7/24/2010 2:54:51 AM
    Hi there, My name is elsie in johannesburg would like to start up a funeral home business in my home town, I am willing to volunteer in this business so as to gain knowledge then looking for somebody that can finance the business I will work, regards, 083 586 0215
  • 157. David Mohale said on 7/28/2010 3:39:00 AM
    I live in Pretoria and would like to know how much is required of me to start a funeral home in my home village somewhere in Polokwane and how many equipments required to establish it and how will it cost in general to start the whole process.
  • 158. Larry Carter said on 7/30/2010 11:40:23 AM
    I live in Spring Lake, NC very near Ft. Bragg, NC and I am very much interested in starting a funeral home business. I would appreciate any and all information you can share concerning my wanting to starting a funeral home. We have 2 funerals home in the community, but we are growing very fast. I am also a Funeral Director Graduate. Thank you Larry Carter
  • 159. kelly said on 8/1/2010 10:25:02 AM
    i am interested in starting a body removal business in the Charleston SC area. I am currently a hospice nurse and have a lot of ideas for this. I am looking for somewhat of a specific "check list" of what license, DHEC, OSHA ,etc, requirements i will need. Thanks@!
  • 160. Javier said on 8/1/2010 11:54:04 PM
    Located in Miami, I am the best on what I do, creating new business, gaining the trust from the community and business owners. My new venture, a cremation center which through hard work it will become one of many thought out the south Florida market and beyond. Looking for individuals with the knowledge and capital to join me with the opportunity of a lifetime. Recession proof business now growing and it's projection to be 50% more cremations in the next ten years as new generations emerge, live, and passed. Contact me for more details and interview at afkaenterprises@hotmail.com
  • 161. LMT said on 8/5/2010 1:53:06 PM
    St.Louis Missouri. Currently I am a student for funeral directing I will be complete with my studies in december. I am interested in opening up my own funeral home. I am currently working for a funeral home but the owner will not give me insight as to what I need to get started. I would like serious responses only. I have the capital to get started I just need real direction on getting started. www.dollar_me_up@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance!
  • 162. Sally said on 8/7/2010 11:24:41 PM
    I would like to purchase a Book that states everything you need to know about setting up a funeral home in Papua New Guinea.
  • 163. DERRICK HOWARD said on 8/13/2010 12:07:41 PM
    I AM FROM HAYNEVILLE ALABAMA AND I WANNA WORK AT BELL FUNERAL HOME BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A DIRECTOR AND HOW MUCH THE SALARY IS CAN ANYBODY HELP ME..........
  • 164. TC said on 8/15/2010 2:46:52 PM
    I am interested in working in the funeral home business. I would like to know if anyone know if a person can do apprentice to become a mortician or would I have to go to school being in the state of Texas email me at tashya8@yahoo.com
  • 165. south africa said on 8/21/2010 1:43:13 AM
    hey Roy in sa funerals are made big and very big. I think the interest in the business is around the fact that people do honour their part and have funeral covers to cover the costs the only major problem is the quality of service we pay for. there are also a lot of room for the businesses to boom. there are also small towns with no proper facilities at all. Cemeteries are owned by the government.
  • 166. j. mutua said on 8/22/2010 12:56:25 PM
    looking for business partner to own and operate a funeral home in kenya at Emali town. I own 7 acre land next to the town that can be put in use.
  • 167. ZODUMO said on 8/23/2010 5:51:43 AM
    I want to open a funeral policy but I dont want a funeral parlour. Is there any licence i must have? And where do I start or how much +- capital I must have to start this business
  • 168. William said on 9/3/2010 3:39:03 PM
    Athens, GA and I would like to own a funeral home. I would be will to work with a partner
  • 169. grace quiogue said on 9/7/2010 8:56:36 AM
    Hi, i would really appreciate if you can give me guides in how to start the funeral business .I am from warren , michigan
  • 170. EricMarquardt said on 9/19/2010 6:45:25 PM
    Madison Wisconsin. selling green coffins bamboo woven and card board. Please inquire
  • 171. Tara said on 9/22/2010 11:06:38 PM
    I am opening a crematorium in Alabama and need any and all help on basics, requirements, and legals or anymore valuable information or insights that there is to know... Thanks, Tara phifertm@yahoo.com
  • 172. Stacy said on 9/23/2010 2:36:28 PM
    I just wanted to chime in to let you know I do insurance for funeral homes. contact me if you want rates. stacy.leavitt.insurance@gmail.com
  • 173. Brandy H. said on 9/28/2010 9:50:16 AM
    Hi to all....I'm interested in purchasing an 'abandoned' funeral home and opening it on our own. My husband is in the field (licensed, and working for 20+ yrs.)in addition to other licensed family members. I have graduated from the program and passed the nationals, but my intention would be to run the office. Can anyone give advice on how and where to start...I'm working off a draft of a funeral home business plan and gpl, contacting resources for paper goods products, etc. but would rather have an "angel" help me make sure I'm not missing important and obvious startup points, in addition to grants, angel investors, last resort loans (not the greatest credit)- as a woman and on disability, I wonder if that might give better chance for monetary resources. Please feel free to contact me at mortuarygirlz@yahoo.com and in the title put something to the effect of funeral home start up; in the case it hits my spam box, i can rescue it when i check all the boxes
  • 174. Inoke Tuivanuakula said on 10/14/2010 11:08:13 PM
    Bula Vinaka, I am a fijian National and have been sitting on this idea of starting a funeral home in Fiji. My main motivation of wanting to start up the business was that I want to help those who are going through grief in any way possible and that for Fiji the idea of a funeral home starting up is very new. I would really appreciate all the help and advice that anyone can offer me. Take Care And God Bless. Shabok Shalom.
  • 175. Frank said on 10/18/2010 8:10:57 AM
    Hi there - I am looking for financial partner that can help to put up a 5 star funeral home in the Santon Johannesburg or surrounding area - State of the art Buildings, Chapels, Mortuary - This will take a lot of money and investment - looking at between 30 to 50 million rand, But your returns will be great - I have been in the Funeral Industry for over 28 yrs, but have not have the money to start this kind of venture. We can make millions if you are prepared to work hard and give a good all round service to your clients. So please email me so we can meet and start one of my biggest dreams.
  • 176. steve johnson said on 10/21/2010 11:36:02 PM
    I need help in writing a business plan for a new funeral home. Will be locating it in $ 140,000 building. Any help in this matter will be appreciated !
  • 177. Alexandria Priestley said on 10/28/2010 7:43:44 AM
    I am trying to complete my business plan and was hoping that someone could assist me with a list of your typical monthly expenses,positions & salaries.
  • 178. bukelwa mkunyana said on 11/3/2010 8:05:08 AM
    My husband is interested in opening the funeral parlour, can you help us with the basics of this business, what needs to be done, challenges, what about someone who wants to start this business from scratch. How much do we need for starting up the business.
  • 179. Leonard Nkuna said on 12/1/2010 4:32:16 AM
    i am a South African national.Passionate about starting funeral director.Please help with step-by-step guidance on how to start. Secondly, where can i get finances and how much do i need to start the business. Please contact me at leonard@po.gov.za or 083 275 6345
  • 180. Ella Cobbins said on 12/7/2010 12:50:19 PM
    HI, I would like more information about starting my own funeral home business in chicago, IL. I also would like to know what funds are available to me to get started.
  • 181. Aimee Syu said on 12/8/2010 8:15:55 PM
    hello every one, especially sir Roy i'm currently reading some comments above and can you please give us some tips on how to start some funeral business, we are having trouble making business proposal for our project, and we would like to have funeral services, and make a prototype of it. thanks please email me @ eatmebabywhileimhot@yahoo.com as soon as you read this thank you!
  • 182. Heather -UK and South Africa said on 12/12/2010 2:41:41 PM
    Hi Roy - here is my callous opinion and possibly an answer to your question as to why all the queries from South Africa: it is probably just to make a quick and easy (?) buck. Times are hard in South Africa, there is so much unemployment and so many deaths from aids that business is booming in the funeral business.
  • 183. Michael M said on 12/19/2010 4:53:29 AM
    I'm from Modesto CA, me, my Boss Friend and my bro are wanting to start up a business just selling coffins. Well we want to make them and them sell them of course, at a competitor price. Most of our start up money is there. But what else besides schooling should we consider?
  • 184. Jack Kandola said on 12/26/2010 1:59:10 PM
    What is the start up cost of a funeral home in the Sacramento, California, area?
  • 185. Darlene said on 12/30/2010 8:43:26 PM
    Alsip, IL, USA (what's the startup cost for this area?). This is a career I'm born for. The seed was planted in me since the beginning of time by the Holy Spirit. It is now time for me to actually get it done. My divine mission in life is to be a mortician. This is my destiny! Also, I tried meeting with two different directors at neighboring community funeral homes regarding startup info. However, the workers would not allow me to speak to the directors. The one in Harvey, IL is the one a Pastor referred me to, to learn from the director because he was getting ready to retire. The pastor thought this would be an opportune situation and time for me to learn something about the business.
    Both places simply told me I had to attend school for 4 years then do a year internship. They had the attitude like I was trying to take their jobs and positions. They said I was trying to do it in reverse order by doing an internship first then take classes for it later. I simply wanted the info to get started in Alsip -- that's all. I already have the location for the funeral home. I'm going to be the owner so I couldn't understand why they thought I was trying to get their jobs. So, I'm seeking info from the internet on what all I need to get started. Thank you for all available input. Sincerely, Darlene, Another Vessel for Christ
  • 186. Greg Waldman said on 1/1/2011 3:25:32 PM
    We are group of expert that has done research on the business. Do you need step by step procedures on starting a funeral home? Contact us today. We can also teach you how to make great profit in this business. Whatever you need to know about the business? contact us today via mail for more inquiries: greg.waldman101@gmail.com
  • 187. marcia wedderburn said on 1/6/2011 12:43:38 PM
    I want to start a funeral home in ontario canada i do not have a funeral director license,i was thinking of owning it and get someone to managed it
  • 188. eustace said on 1/7/2011 5:15:33 AM
    Hi Roy, I am seriously looking for more information on how to start up a funeral business in the heart of the Karoo area in South Africa as our people are really battling with the service they are getting and because of unemployment and low income in certain areas they struggle to bury their loved ones with dignity.There are basically no mortuaries in these small towns and the nearest funeral houses are almost 150km from them so much so that sometimes the wrong corpses are delivered which really makes things then even worse for the bereaved families.I am in need of business plan. and all the necessary legal information to assist me in setting up a service that will bring dignity back to our people. loan .Please will u give me some guidance in this regard as i really want to be of some assistance in the community.
  • 189. Rod Warner said on 1/10/2011 1:25:41 PM
    Hi Roy, I live in Desoto,Texas and I need a step by step on how I get financing for a funeral home.
  • 190. Mark said on 1/11/2011 7:49:00 PM
    Hi, I am interested in starting a funeral home here in Mississippi and would like to here from some serious people who whats to help get one started. I have not completed my schooling yet but I work for a funeral home.
  • 191. Bongiwe Ntshontshwana said on 1/14/2011 6:57:50 AM
    I am interested in opening a funeral parlor business, but i don't know where to start,can you please give me some ideas, about registering the business and financial assistant
  • 192. Robert said on 1/23/2011 7:42:26 PM
    Most of the people on here obviously are just thinking about the business of Funeral Directing. If people were totally and completely honest they would leave contact information. I see about 5% of the people that write to "Roy", who never answers any of these blogs anyway leave an email address. For if people really wanted to know more about the business they would leave contact information such as an email at least and could be followed up by email to that person and an exchange of phone numbers. I think most of you are just thinking about a funeral business and not serious about what your asking about. Are you afraid to get a real answer? Sincerely, Robert. robert.murphy59@yahoo.com
  • 193. gary scott said on 1/24/2011 1:20:38 AM
    what legal papers do you need to operate a funeral home? And what all do you need like equipment etc
  • 194. Mary said on 1/26/2011 12:46:07 AM
    If you are interested it may be a good idea to get a job in a funeral home. It will help you really understand the funeral industry. To own and operate a funeral home is not a 9-5 business. Funeral Directors/Embalmers can tell you 24hrs is not enough time in a day in our world. If you are married and have children, you should think long and hard about funeral business, because that is where you will spend most of your time. Also Funeral Directing and Embalming is a hard physical career , and don't leave out the stress,and mental draining. So, if you think you will have any energy left to count your money then I say go for it, if you can. Please be honest, and don't make money your motive, because if and when you do it will lead to your failure. The last time I heard of someone running a funeral home operation from their home was on the news and he did not look very happy. Please don't be the next person to make the news.
  • 195. eric marquardt said on 1/29/2011 1:56:36 PM
    Hi, My name is Eric Marquardt of Sansom Mortuary Supply. I am a vendor of green coffin for green burial and funeral equipment. Please contact me for for details. Thanks Eric Marquardt Sansom Mortuary Supply 608 219 0380
  • 196. Robert Murphy said on 1/30/2011 9:31:29 AM
    Mary is absolutely right, having been a funeral director and embalmer for many years now I can absolutely back up what is being said. Physically demanding, money should not be a motive for going into the business once you get your training. I recommend everyone to be a student funeral director at a regular funeral home while going to a Mortuary College is a must do. To really understand the business I believe National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA) has a DVD that you can purchase, you can also go to your local funeral home, most of the time they will be of help to you, but please make an appointment they may be busy and by busy I mean furiously busy and can not have time to talk to you or to answer your questions so best to make an appointment or possible that one of the funeral directors can call you back after they get off of work. I also believe Illinois Funeral Directors Association has a pamphlet also, it is a good start. Here in Illinois there are four (4) schools that would be of assistance. Worsham College, Carl Sandburg College, Southern Illinois University, and Malcolm X College, all have mortuary programs.Also, this is not a field for women who are pregnant, the faint of heart, whiners and moaners, those with little or no integrity, and lazy people. I am sure I missed a category or two. robert.murphy59@yahoo.com
  • 197. Rita Ifi said on 2/6/2011 5:02:15 PM
    Please help me with information to start a funeral home in my village overseas.My people are really suffering finding a place to preserve their loved ones.Sometimes they have to travel hundred of miles to get such services.I live in Hauppauge NY state. Thanks for your anticipated help.
  • 198. Victoria Monia said on 3/2/2011 9:51:58 AM
    Please assist I will be opening a business as a funeral director in Zimbabwe next year. Please any information Who to contact to get registered ? I am still in Australia any training necessary I can do to help me before I leave? Where can I get resources like pamphlets? Who is ready to help me in Australia? Thanks, VIC
  • 199. Linda said on 3/17/2011 10:51:30 PM
    I would like to start up a location funeral home, I need all the help I can get on how to start my first funeral home business. like what would I need to get start when come down to finance. And other thing to start my funeral home business and how can I apply for grant?
  • 200. mandy said on 3/29/2011 3:01:33 AM
    The reason for so many south african wanting to start this business is 1. HIV/Aids is a extremely high in South Africa, 2. Unemployment is high 3. The general costs for funerals are expensive especially for the average household and yes I am another person from South Africa who would like to know the costs involved of starting a coffin business to try and assist those who cannot afford expensive burial costs at least this would help. Thanks