Starting a Coffee Bean Farm

If you want to earn money, you can start your own coffee bean farm. This is a great way to provide the local market with quality coffee beans. You can sell the beans fresh or you can dry them out.

Maintain high quality at all times to get higher sales. Promote your business thoroughly to gain recognition and visibility.

coffee beans

Coffee Bean Farm

There are many ways to make money. If you’re hard working, motivated, and determined, you will surely be able to pick the right business opportunity. Starting a coffee bean farm may seem overwhelming at first but if you try to enhance your knowledge and skills about the industry, there is a way to succeed. You should know the growth requirements of coffee and the things you need in the coffee bean farm. You will need to work on your business plan. Conduct a market study to know the existing competition. There are established coffee bean companies out there. Do you think you can compete with them?

Location is vital to success. Is your region suitable for growing coffee? You can grow the coffee beans on nursery beds and poly bags. Hire staffs to help you in planting and growing the coffee. Depending on the size of the farm, you can hire 3 or more employees. Since you’re going to sell the coffee beans, you have to secure a business license. That way, you can operate the farm legally. Determine if there are zoning requirements in your place and comply accordingly.

Growing Coffee Beans

When germinating the seeds, you can choose between two methods. The first method is spreading the coffee seeds on sand beds and covering them with straw or burlap bags. Another method would be mixing the seeds with expanded polystyrene or moist vermiculite. The seeds are kept in polythene bags. When the seedlings have grown to 20 to 40 centimeters, they will be planted on the fields. The soil should contain rotted manure from cattle as well as phosphate fertilizer. The beds should be at least one meter in width and the seedlings should be planted around 50cm deep. Each seedling should be spaced 12-15cm.

It’s best to pick a shaded spot for the nursery beds or you can construct temporary shading. As the coffee grows, shading should be reduced gradually. If you decide to grow the coffee from polybags, you will need black diothene and fill it with topsoil, rotted manure, gravel, coarse sand, coffee husks, or coffee pulp. You can use this ratio 3:1:1; 3 is for the topsoil and 1 for coarse sand and rotted manure. Now that you know how to grow coffee beans, you can now start with your own coffee bean farm. With the right knowledge and skills, you will be able to earn a lot of money. Sell the coffee beans in the market and always maintain quality.

• 1. Mike Smith said on 8/8/2010 11:32:18 AM
    will a coffee bean germinate?
  • 2. Patrick said on 9/12/2011 11:52:41 PM
    My family owns a coffee farm & a coffee factory we sell our coffee beans to a coffee mill in Kenya which is  government owned and regulated & we are way way under paid. I have been trying to find buyers  who would be will to buy from us wholesale. Any ideas>thank you all for all  the help in advance. (Arabica is the coffee type). Patrick.
  • 3. Kristy said on 2/18/2012 10:29:00 AM
    I am thinking about starting a coffee bean sales business and want to buy directly from the farmers. Are you in Kenya? I am in Colorado, USA
  • 4. elijah nderi said on 4/18/2012 8:38:38 AM
    we have lots of coffee beans in our country . we need buyers who would buy from us at good prices . if you are interested we can join hand a do business
  • 5. Truly said on 7/26/2012 2:35:13 PM
    When I graduate high school I want to move to Kailua Kona in Hawaii and start my own coffee farm. Are there any kinds of education I can get to help me with this?
  • 6. Paul J Mushi said on 11/29/2012 1:52:42 AM
    I have a coffee farm (kihamba) in the slope of mount Kilimanjaro at Uru North area. Type of coffee is arabica. I am planning to engage in organic coffee farming. Can have a shared knowledge on how can i started the project?
  • 7. Beth Quinto said on 12/15/2012 3:19:36 AM
    I'm a nurse and would love to start a coffee farm in the Philippines next year 2013. May I have some ideas and advise in this venture. Thanks, Beth Q
  • 8. Mark Bly said on 12/27/2012 3:54:10 PM
    I am looking to invest in a coffee farm in South America and work the farm along with employees. I would welcome any feedback on market possibilities and how to build the brand.
  • 9. Elijah Rodriguez said on 1/10/2013 3:28:58 PM
    I have a company looking for investors to help build our farm. email at hydroeden@msn.com
  • 10. Faleata Iosefa said on 1/15/2013 12:03:36 PM
    I came up with an idea of starting a coffee farm back home in Samoa, in the pacific Islands. I love coffee and I see a lot from everywhere but I wanted to try something new. Can I get any ideas on how does it take to grow before i make money?? Thanks
  • 11. Joe said on 3/11/2013 11:10:17 PM
    If I were considering buying a farm (South American location), where could I send a soil sample for testing to determine coffee tree compatibility1? Also, where can I acquire high quality robusta and arabica seedlings? Thanks, Joe
  • 12. gary said on 3/18/2013 3:47:04 AM
    i have a 7 hectare farm of coconut in the Philippines, and i'm planning it to convert it in to a coffee farm.. but i have no idea if arabica or robusta will be planted.? are they the same? or one of those can only grown in the phil.? (xp_gary@yahoo.com)
  • 13. anneth said on 4/2/2013 9:15:53 PM
    I am about to graduate from college and coffee farming has been one of my focus and i have 2 hectare(Kilimanjaro Tanzania) for starting up a project. Can i get any ideas on how to start(anneth.mrosso@aiesec.net)
  • 14. Anthony Richard Hulula said on 4/28/2013 1:53:27 PM
    I have a farm of coffee which my family owns. The coffee is sold to the government cooperatives that has never made any profit since 1988. I was contemplating of getting a license to do it privately. what help can get to start this venture?
  • 15. Paul Jasion said on 7/24/2013 8:44:53 AM
    i am looking for a coffee beans suppliers. I am starting a coffee business in United Kingdom. Please send me an email with the prices and more information. Regards, Paul Jasion, CEO Integrity Branding Ltd, my email : paul@kreativeclientsolutions.com mobile: 00447449469309
  • 16. Dira Alieva said on 11/7/2013 11:25:33 PM
    We have 30 hectare land in Uzbekistan and thinking to starting a coffee farm. We are looking for investor who will bring us an idea how to plant arabica and ready invest(My e-mail begim.79@mail.ru)
  • 17. CHIT WUNN AUNG said on 7/18/2014 8:01:36 PM
    Now I have 5 hectare of coffee farm. My uncle give me before he die but I didn't known any knowledge of coffee. If you can help me how to carry out.
  • 18. Alex said on 7/29/2014 6:33:56 AM
    i have a 15 hectares land. i'm planning to make it a coffee farm...pls give me an idea how to start this project....pls help...
  • 19. Flossy Puth said on 8/26/2014 3:08:24 PM
    I would like more information on starting a coffee bean farm in the Philippines. Right now we have copra and mango trees on the farm and I was thinking of inter cropping coffee and cacao. Thanks, Flossy Puth
  • 20. John Santiago said on 10/31/2014 8:12:03 PM
    I am producing coffee beans in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I will be looking to find a buyer. Right now my trees are not full in bloom but are coming along quite nice. How do I go about finding a buyer for green coffee beans or roasted beans? email me @ santiagoj006@hawaiiantel.net
  • 21. Genaro said on 2/15/2015 12:12:27 PM
    Hello Elijah Nderi ! I'm looking to buy coffee beans, please email me when you can. Gsantos2885@gmail.com
  • 22. Jovette Dungca said on 5/22/2015 11:44:54 PM
    Greetings. I have a small farm lot (8311 sqm) in Magalang, Philippines. Looking for profitable business to utilized my land. I have no knowledge about farming at all; I am an ex-seawoman. I look forward to grow crops and harvest. I heard about high valued crops and growing coffee bean & cacao. Please help. Thank you so much in advance.
  • 23. Rich said on 6/24/2015 10:39:39 PM
    My business partner, and myself have been looking for a potential coffee supplier who can provide coffee beans for us. We are starting small business who are looking to develop strong relations with coffee farmers. We are open to the possibility of investing in a coffee farm. Feel free to reach out to us in this regard to discuss things further. Our e-mail is: CoffeeForAChange@Hotmail.com Thank you, Richard & John
  • 24. Gabriela sanchez said on 9/24/2015 8:10:08 PM
    I was born and raised in a coffee plantation in Puerto Rico. From the moment the seedling touches the ground to the first harvest, you spend enough time and money to make you wonder if you will recover your investment. Three or for years of pampering a coffee bush will make you realize that the price for a cup of coffee should be $10.00. Having said that I must also say that at 65, I have never seen more beautiful site than a coffee field in bloom.
  • 25. Jonathan said on 11/25/2015 6:52:18 PM
    I grow my own coffee in Honduras. I have 12 acres of land and have about 40k pounds of coffee beans produced every year. Would like to find someone who is interested in buying my coffee. If interested please contact me at jonathansanchez771992@gmail.com
  • 26. Okunlola M Olufemi said on 3/9/2016 12:47:19 PM
    I am thinking of setting up my own Coffee in my Home town, Osun State, Nigeria.Can anyone give me an idea and requirements its take me to own a Farm?
  • 27. eileen said on 6/8/2016 8:21:04 AM
    I have a coffee farm in South Africa and am thinking of selling it. please inbox me if you are interested. It has 3000 arabica coffee trees in their 2nd year and a nursery of about 6000 bagged coffee trees. Also, lots of water and set in the middle of an Afro-montagne forest, perfect location for coffee. it is 10 hectares and has house cottage etc.
  • 28. Adeagbo Adeniji said on 6/13/2016 2:22:11 PM
    pls kindly forward where to get coffee seed for planting , i am from OsunState Nigeria. I have over 10 hectare of land for coffee plantation
  • 29. David said on 6/22/2016 12:58:01 AM
    I'm looking to set up a coffee farm in the Dominican Republic. Does anyone have any advice for me in getting started?
  • 30. Sandile said on 7/16/2016 7:25:07 AM
    Hi @Eileen, Please email me the details of your farm on home@ulwazins.com. I'm looking to buy a coffee farm in SA. I'm from KZN
  • 31. Robinson said on 8/27/2016 11:59:38 AM
    Hello, am from Nigeria and am looking forward to start a coffee farm here in my country, Nigeria but i don't know if it can be grown in Nigeria type of soil? And secondly, where and how can I get the coffee seed(bean) for planting? Please I need an advice!! Thanks....Email: robinsonwankwuda@gmail.com.
  • 32. Stephen89 said on 8/30/2016 8:00:34 PM
    I want to start my own coffee bean business in the middle of a city like Long beach or Los Angels. with new technology you can make it and i know how. I need people to partner with to grow a business in the middle of where more coffee is drunk then anywhere else. I need partners who knows where to sell it too and a knowledge grower. I want it to be automated so we wouldn't need many employees. I want to import some Kenya plants and beans.
  • 33. Uaita Levi said on 9/28/2016 10:51:10 PM
    @Talofa Faleata Iosefa. I like your idea. I am coming to Samoa to live on June 2017. I would like to get in touch with you are a coffee farm in Samoa. I too am going to develop a coffee farm.
  • 34. Rossana Harper Alonso said on 12/30/2016 6:39:58 AM
    Hello I have a 2.5 hectare Estate Robusta Coffee Farm in Lipa Batangas Philippines. 3,260 4 year old trees producing min 12 kilos/tree.