Starting a Medical Equipment Business

Health is always given a high priority in all respects - Current generation is conscious on having a periodic checkup and maintaining sound health. This awareness gives an upper hand to medical business and hence the hospital equipment supply business.

A medical equipment business is a good venture to invest on particularly because of the booming healthcare industry. Getting into a business that supplies home medical equipment and hospital medical equipment can be very profitable.

It is however essential that you equip yourself with the necessary know- how in marketing medical equipment supply for you to become competitive in medical equipment sales. Here are some things that you have to remember when starting a medical equipment business:

Choose a good location where people can easily buy medical equipment from you

The type of merchandise that you are selling is the ones that people will actually look for after a visit from the hospital or from their doctor. It is therefore a great idea of you choose a location for your medical equipment store that is near, visible and accessible from healthcare establishments like hospitals and clinics. Being able to sell medical equipment supply from these areas will allow people to easily see you when they are looking for home medical equipment or hospital medical equipment. People will also find it easier and hassle-free to buy their medical equipment supply from a medical equipment store that is near them or is very accessible.

Get the best deals from medical equipment manufacturers

In order for you to do well in the medical equipment business, it is a must that you price your goods competitively. This requires that you get the best deals from medical equipment manufacturers where you will be getting the supplies that you will sell in your medical equipment store. You can do this by contacting medical equipment manufacturers and telling them about your business. Most medical equipment manufacturers can provide special prices for medical equipment stores. Get quotes and ask possibility of discount for bulk orders.

Know what medical equipment sells best

If you have limited capital and you cannot afford to make every medical supply available for your clients, it is best that you know what particular medical equipment sells like pancakes and which ones seldom sell. You may decide not to purchase medical supplies that do not sell well but you also have the option to offer your clients an order system when they need to purchase hard- to-find items. If you cannot provide every medical equipment brand for your medical equipment store, get your supplies from reputable and established medical equipment manufacturers because many people still prefer to buy medical equipment made by reputable manufacturers.

• Tips to Become a Medical Transcriptionist
    In learning how to become a medical transcriptionist, you must know the requirements of the job such as a completed medical transcription training program. Also, you must know other essential factors that come with this course like the certification and how the salaries are determine.
  • Starting a Hospital Transportation Business
    Do you have interest in healthcare business? Are you planning to start a medical transportation business? If you are, this is a great way to earn good profits.

• 1. alfonso arredondo said on 7/30/2009 4:08:58 AM
    excellent advice. thanks
  • 2. edithgriffiths said on 8/12/2009 1:52:36 PM
    i need to know how to start a medical rehabilitation center step by step.
  • 3. Yusuf Hassanali said on 8/16/2009 11:44:36 PM
    I am Pharmacist and I am trying to start a medical supply store and I am looking for information and resources on how to start up medical supply business. Please help?
  • 4. ARON ARANBAYEV said on 8/18/2009 10:40:58 PM
    HOW DO I OPEN A MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE
  • 5. projeet said on 8/23/2009 3:08:35 AM
    How do I start medical equipment business from home?
  • 6. carol Graham said on 10/25/2009 5:55:54 AM
    I need info how to start a medical equipment business. i'm in the maryland area the license etc.
  • 7. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 12:27:45 AM
    First, let me post an introductory message. I have been a consultant in the medical equipment industry for 12 years. Navigating the regulatory mine filed can be overwhelming. My consulting firm offers start-up assistance packages with step by step guidance. I will attempt to offer some helpful suggestions for this journey. You are welcome to contact me directly at deanna.myers@att.net

• 8. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 12:34:14 AM
    @projeet - starting a medical equipment business as a home based business will be difficult. Most medical equipment is reimbursable through health insurance coverage and most home medical equipment "patients" that is the end-user have medicare coverage. Medicare, state Medicaid and most of your health insurance carriers DO NOT issue provider numbers or recognize providers that are home based businesses. Wish I had better news. Understand though if you are selling equipment for cash - go for the home based business - but understand that since you cannot offer the option to have insurance reimburse their cost, you will have a difficult times getting sales.

• 9. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 12:40:28 AM
    @edithgriffiths - can you provide more detail on this start up? A rehab medical equipment company is definitely a niche market that few undertake, but there are some specific regulations you have to abide by.

• 10. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 10:05:56 AM
    @Yusuf Hassanali - I have a number of clients that are pharmacy/hme (home medical equipment companies. You are actually in a unique position! The thing I would tell you is that - you cannot operate the hme side like you operate the pharmacy side. The billing for HME is NOT AT ALL like the billing for pharmacies! You need to decide exactly what you want the HME "division" to bring to your pharmacy. Often I am asked to go in and "fix" a struggling HME "division" because Pharmacy owners know the huge potential of this but do not know how to achieve the end result. From marketing to delivery. I would love to discuss this with you in more detail.

• 11. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 10:19:52 AM
    Now for those of you that are simply wanting to know where to begin...there are a number of land mines!

First - do your due diligence and determine exactly what products you want to offer and their profit margins. Some products require more work and you have to keep that in mind - it slims your profit margins. Some product lines pay on a capped rental (kind of like rent to own) over a period of time and you are responsible for the maintenance as long as it is considered a rental.

• 12. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 10:31:17 AM
    Second - you must determine which payer sources you will be a provider for. Most (almost all) medical equipment companies are enrolled with Medicare and Medicaid and have private insurance contracts. Now, to obtain a provider number with Medcare you must meet all 26 supplier standards. The biggest, most labor intensive of these being - you must be accredited. There are a number of accrediting bodies but there is a minimum $2,500.00 cost and that is a REALLY low number. You must choose wisely! Most Medicaids are requiring this for new suppliers or will be shortly as well. Most private insurance carriers are requiring this to be considered in-network.

• 13. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 10:44:00 AM
    Third - know how to get reimbursed. There are a lot of different softwares out there. Doctor billing software is not conducive to medical equipment billing! Some software is expensive! Some are web-based. I have a strong opinion about the web-based programs. But I will respect what they do and offer and not offer that opinion here. There are billing services that can do your billing for you if you do not want to purchase software right away. Know what they are doing! Make sure what they are reporting to you is enough. Remember, they work for you. Be careful who you choose.

• 14. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/7/2009 10:54:33 AM
    Last - Know your payer sources rules! You must know how to be compliant. There are specific guidelines you must follow. Do not allow someone to tell you how it is done. Make them SHOW you in writing. Don't hire someone that can "run" your company and/or billing department unless you know that they are doing things the compliant way! Do not hire a consultant that just says "do it this way" and cannot SHOW you why! You - the owner - are ultimately responsible for what goes on in the company, so knowing the compliance and regulatory part of this business is imperative! Hope this helps! If you have any further questions or would like further assistance, again you are welcomed to email me at deanna.myers@att.net

• 15. Javier Juarez said on 11/19/2009 6:45:59 PM
    Harlingen, Tx. Ms. Myers how can I get a hold of your start up assistance packages with step by step guidance? Please help. Javier
  • 16. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/28/2009 7:25:41 PM
    Javier Juarez - You may email me to get started. My email address is deanna.myers@att.net.

• 17. lewis said on 12/3/2009 12:11:13 PM
    I need step by step info on how to start a medical equipment business. Please contact me ASAP. Thankx
  • 18. Mitch Tucker said on 12/7/2009 4:28:49 PM
    Edison, NJ, USA
    I need to start a Medical Equipment Business. I need guidance from scratch to finish. How can you guide me. Regards, Mitch
  • 19. Mike said on 1/3/2010 1:58:30 PM
    Hi Deanna, I am thinking of buying existing DME business with Medical and Medicare provider number. Currently I am discussing with couple of seller in California. They will take joint liability until I get my provider number. Can you please guide me further in this regard. Especially with things to watch for during the buying business process. Thank You, manoj
  • 20. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/4/2010 6:55:58 PM
    Mike...please contact me directly. deanna.myers@att.net for further information

• 21. anthony said on 1/8/2010 9:46:48 PM
    Hannover, MD, USA
    Deanna, I need help in starting up a home base medical supply business that specialize in wound care. Can you please help me get started.
  • 22. Allen Parson said on 1/10/2010 8:28:09 PM
    Is it possible to start a homebase business in Durable Medical Equipment, (DME), strictly selling power wheelchairs.
  • 23. kathlyn Jadrosich said on 1/11/2010 9:46:22 AM
    I need advice on starting a medical supply business out of the country. Do not need any info on medicare or medicaid or any other insurances. I just need general information on how to go about it. I am an occupational therapist from the WEST INDIES. THANKS
  • 24. Alex Y. said on 1/20/2010 8:05:42 PM
    Hi Deanna, thank you for all your inputs. What is your training includes? Is your manual adapted to the California’s laws? How much do you charge for your service? Thank you.
  • 25. tammy said on 2/4/2010 12:56:47 PM
    hi looking into starting my own medical supply business do not know what kind of equipment i can or cant sell to not have to go through the process of having to join the state board of medicine? where can i find this information and is it a hard process to go through if i had to or wanted to? thank you input appreciated
  • 26. nazrul said on 2/6/2010 12:36:53 AM
    Bronx, NY, USA. Dear Deanna Myers: I been reading your comment for a few days. I also been talking to one of the medical supplies store owner. I am asking him to tell me how can I start "the medical supplies store"?. He is reluctant to give me any kinds information. Please if you could help me I would grateful to you. In the mean time, I must tell you that I have been running my own discount/ 99 cent type business last 10 years. First 2/3 years I was doing well but last 5/6 years it went down so bad that now unable to pay my store rent. I am hurting badly, and therefore, looking to do something that might little rewarding. Also I don't know if this would help my previous experience, please let me know how can I start the Medical supplies business? Thank you for your help and advice. Nazrul
  • 27. rupa said on 2/6/2010 9:26:15 PM
    can u please give me a clear idea of the fuctionalities of a medical agency? and what actually a medical agency is?
  • 28. John said on 2/15/2010 4:57:08 PM
    Deanna Myers, Please let me know how can I get more information about your service regarding DME start up. Thanks
  • 29. tumi said on 2/23/2010 6:18:09 AM
    HI, i'm a radiographer by profession with no business background whatsoever, i'm looking to start a medical supply company, i've only gone as far as getting a CK1 AND A PROFILE, CAN u kindly assist me with the step by step from here, i'm in KZN, MARGATE. THANX
  • 30. Kory said on 3/13/2010 7:51:24 AM
    Hello Deanna - Thank you for all your help! I have sent you a email directly and look forward to hearing from you soon. It is great to find an expert willing to help. Its hard finding info on DME Start Up. Thanks again - KDJ
  • 31. Jill said on 3/16/2010 6:19:40 AM
    I'm interested in learning how to start a DME company and need step-by-step information on start-up. Thank you. Jill West Chester, PA
  • 32. Adam A. said on 3/21/2010 1:25:59 PM
    I own a DME company for around 10 years. It takes around 6 months to get accredited and get a new medicare number to start a DME company from scratch and begin billing Medicare. The Center for Medicare Services (CMS) authorizes any of 11 companies to use to get accredited by Medicare. They are listed below. If you are looking to break into DME sales. We may have openings for reps in various parts of the country. We specialize in wound care products. You may email me at medsales@mac.com. -Adam
  • 33. Kory said on 3/31/2010 1:56:51 AM
    Thanks Adam, My Wife and I are both in the Med. field here in CA and have not gotten a replay from Deanna. Do you or do you know of a service to hire to help with the process of a new DME Start up? Thanks again - KDJ
  • 34. lisa said on 4/24/2010 12:46:49 AM
    For non-medicare billing such as PPO and HMO plans is a prescription required for facilities billing diabetic supplies that are legend items and be purchased over the counter? California location
  • 35. sandeep sharma said on 4/27/2010 3:28:43 PM
    To dear Team, I want to start my own Business in medical line like selling and supply chain. So plz guide me that where should i have to start my business, should i contact to any organization of branch for participate, plz guide me. Thank you
  • 36. Lisa said on 5/4/2010 9:43:58 AM
    I am in the state of NC and I would like to know how do I start a Medical Supply Business from start to finish in the state of NC. I look forward to any feedback or information, thanks in advance.
  • 37. shanta subdhan said on 5/5/2010 12:08:19 AM
    Hi, I am working at a Dr's office presently and we are ordering a lot of medical equipment for our patients. I would like to know if I could be that supplier instead. This would then be a home-based business, but I can put a sign outside of my house with a company name, and as a medical supplier. Can I become accredited and get reimbursed from the insurance co. as well. If so, how can I get started, please help me, thank you.
  • 38. Mustafa said on 5/6/2010 10:35:45 PM
    Hi, i own a medical transportation company in MN, and i was told that i can bill for medical supply, i want to know what kind of steps do i need to take from here,
  • 39. Rochelle Gray said on 5/21/2010 2:08:57 PM
    My business location is in michigan, I am looking for information on how to start a medical supply delivery service. Please help.
  • 40. Nyree Letterlough said on 6/1/2010 9:36:30 PM
    I would like some information on starting a medical equipment repair business.
  • 41. kathy said on 6/18/2010 5:56:29 PM
    Hi Team: I am a chiropractor in CA and want to implement a DME business with my practice. Please give me the advice of the steps I should do. how to look for the supplier with meet medicare for reimbursement. Do I have to be a insurances contract provider for reimbursement. Thank a lot. Kathy
  • 42. Eli said on 6/20/2010 11:23:10 PM
    Hello: My business is located in Katy Tx. I just set up the office and applied for license from department of health and human services. How do i enroll in the Medicare and medicaid networks and the Doctors networks? information on how to start will be highly appreciated.
  • 43. sunny said on 6/21/2010 1:28:34 AM
    My office is located in Houston as a DME supplier and i will like to know if i need to apply for NPI number through CMS in order to enroll in Medicare network and accreditation. Thanks . Sunny.
  • 44. pat said on 7/1/2010 3:06:33 AM
    @ shanta subdhan , could you contact me @pt.promotionals@comcast.net I have info on helping you selling med equipment.
  • 45. sergio del angel said on 7/8/2010 3:25:00 PM
    mission, texas, usa. i want to know how to open a DME EQUIPMENT BUSINESS can you please help
  • 46. nazreen khan said on 7/10/2010 2:12:56 PM
    hi, I am a chiropractor in Ohio and I would like to inquire about your services and want to open a DME business. Can you contact me. I need help on opening this type of business. I have marketing experience and a very successful chiropractic office and am looking to open a home based or warehouse based DME company.
  • 47. bj said on 7/12/2010 10:53:58 AM
    Hi, I want to sell medical equipment in china from a home base business, what are the restrictions. Thanks
  • 48. Gwen Daniels said on 7/14/2010 5:10:01 PM
    Hello, I am a RN in Georgia and i'm very interested in starting a DME home based business. Please help.
  • 49. Chris said on 7/23/2010 5:36:37 PM
    I am starting a lift company in Florida, I probably will handle two lines of products. I came from that industry and have many connections, anyone interested in helping out, please get in touch with me. I have a DME number through a shared associated but we plan on incorporating in Florida.
  • 50. manish said on 7/24/2010 2:36:28 PM
    hi, this is manish, i want to start business of distributionship of medical equipment in kalyan, maharashtra, india
  • 51. benjie said on 7/30/2010 4:51:21 PM
    hi my name is benjie i would like to start a DME business in florida can any one help me home base to start out with
  • 52. benjie said on 7/31/2010 8:24:58 AM
    I am in medical field for a long time and would like to start a medical equipment/machine business in orlando florida
  • 53. Rosa Romo said on 8/6/2010 3:31:03 PM
    Located in Orange County California and Austin Texas. I would like to start the process of investigating the medical supply and equipment business. I do not know where to start or what questions to ask, I only know that the economic trends show the medical field as a viable way to go for. Please contact me regarding your services. Thank You.
  • 54. Mayla said on 8/12/2010 8:19:48 PM
    Hi, I am an Registered Nurse and need advice on starting a medical supply business out of the country. I am interested to find out where to buy the medical supplies & what the rules & regulations are shipping them to overseas. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
  • 55. SusanHelgren said on 8/16/2010 1:53:13 PM
    need advice on beginning a medical supplier in Austin, Texas
  • 56. MARIO MATUTE said on 8/18/2010 4:49:42 PM
    I NEED HELP. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF OPENING UP A COMMUNITY CLINIC (BREAST CANCER DIAGNOSIS) I HAVE THE SPACE DONATED BY THE LIONS CLUB, AND THE STAFF WILL BE PAID BY DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS. I NEED A MAMMOGRAPHY (USED IS OK) AND ANY OTHER MEDICAL EQUIPMENT THAT YOU GUYS CAN DONATE. I SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. BLESSINGS TO ALL, MARIO MATUTE www.elsalvadorusahealthcare.org 818 395 7787
  • 57. webo said on 9/3/2010 2:33:47 AM
    Hello I am in medical transportation industry and want to change it to medical supplies rental or to become Medical equipment supplier so please tell what you think. god Bless
  • 58. Fritz said on 9/3/2010 2:15:36 PM
    My name is Fritz, I am contemplating about the medical supply business. I have a friend who has been very successful with his company and he just obtained his medicare license after two years of service. My question is, how can I get started without a Medicare license and with many insurance companies requiring contract for reimbursement? Also, are there many companies who reimburse to out of network medical supply business?
  • 59. Mhizaki said on 9/15/2010 5:31:01 AM
    can you tell me how much does it cost for all medical equipment that an hospital needs?
  • 60. Victor Ilegbodu said on 9/24/2010 3:40:06 PM
    Please I need your guidance to start a home medical care equipment supply and services. I am a public health administrator with no business background. I live in Chicago, Illinos USA. What are the basic things I need to be able to start a home medical care equipment supply and services. I want to be able to supply medical care supply for both chronic and acute illness, including rehab equipment and services.

I can satisfy licensure requirements in my state to start a medical care supply and services. I have the physical space to use for the business, but lack the knowledge on how to go about obtaining the products and marketing them. Please help me! Thanks. Sincerely, Victor Ilegbodu
  • 61. deveshpandey said on 9/28/2010 11:43:18 AM
    hi i m a bpharm student & i m interested in my own medicine hospital supply business in india so i need information about primary investment & business plan & marketing strategy. Please help me!
  • 62. najam said on 9/29/2010 2:07:07 PM
    i m Thinking to start dme business can i open a company with my home address and then look for commercial space? and what other steps or thing should i get ready?
  • 63. Rafath said on 10/6/2010 6:00:20 PM
    Hi, I want to start medical equipment supply business, currently in Chicago, IL. Please let me know details.. Rafath
  • 64. Jullia said on 10/6/2010 6:01:02 PM
    Mobile, AL. I am thinking about starting a home-based medical equip business selling supplies for seniors, nursing homes, athletic trainers, midwives and doulas. Would you please tell me how to get this up and going. I have no knowledge I just learned this is a lucrative business and I want to start my own. PLEASE HELP
  • 65. Fozia said on 10/17/2010 6:37:40 AM
    I want to start a medical equipment or supply business in Orlando, Florida. I have an office space I use for accounting services. I need advise on how to get started. Thanks.
  • 66. Bernie said on 10/19/2010 3:28:36 PM
    Thinking of starting a DME business in California. Any advice?
  • 67. qammar said on 11/25/2010 1:45:33 PM
    hello, I am Qammar and i want to start a medical equipment supply business in Pakistan & other country if anybody want to medical related or some thing els plz contact me and some one advise me plz contact me on my E-mail or my cell number 092-300-5312347
  • 68. Nathan Jacobi beginner adviser said on 12/1/2010 10:26:54 PM
    Los Angeles, California. I am a principal for Prodigy Medical a manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies throughout the U.S. I noticed the post and if I can be of any help feel free to reach out to me direct. My company specializes in helping those interested in starting a DME company as a distributor or wholesaler and I would be more then happy to assist. You can view our products at www.prodigymedical.com or email me at nathan@prodigymedical.com

Nathan@prodigymedical.com

• 69. Alan Myers said on 12/14/2010 9:47:56 AM
    For all of you who are wanting to email Deanna Myers directly with questions, please email her @ deanna.myers@att.net
  • 70. Shelley Walton said on 12/28/2010 11:45:58 PM
    Deanna,i must start out by saying wow i am Lucky! To come across This Web -site by Pure Chance! Jan. second day after Newyears I have been offered a partime job at a small ,but a Rep.Established, med store in CL LK, IL. The owner sent me home a couple weeks ago with a Med. Supply Magazine, also I've read his nice Web-site. I can not seem to get interested in learning the book, but Would REALLY like myself to although not much money, i thought if i could sell, i could get more Hours=$ so I'd really like a copy of Your; Of Your Teaching Manuel, book; Please e-mail soon give all info i would need for ordering, shipping, money$$$ Thank you so much looking forward from hearing from you Shelley Walton=sscally1776@hotmail.com Thanks again for People like You!!!
  • 71. Tajammal Bukhari said on 1/1/2011 8:26:09 AM
    I want to start the sales of medical instruments to overseas could you please give me your views
  • 72. Angelika said on 1/6/2011 11:35:10 AM
    NJ Area. Hi- I have a DME provider's number. But I don't have any business. I work in an area where a lot of Senior Citizens live. How can I get more business from Hospitals and Doctors offices. Please advise. Thanks
  • 73. Joe Kadic said on 1/9/2011 1:05:18 AM
    Hello, I'm a pharmacist who is planning on opening a pharmacy. Also, I'd like to offer DME services for my customers to assist them with their health care needs. Sac, CA.
  • 74. Sneha Hotchandani said on 1/27/2011 1:38:10 AM
    hi i would like to know regarding the various licenses required for starting a hospital in india. i m assisting in the hospital projects in a pvt. company who is into the business of construction. we are going to build hospitals. so i would like to know the requirements to be fulfilled and the licenses to be obtained for the above mentioned purpose. i'm from Pune, maharashtra, India.
  • 75. Jenny said on 3/5/2011 2:36:58 PM
    I want to start a medical equipment or supply business in Philadelphia of PA I have an office space. can you help to getting start?
  • 76. James expert adviser said on 3/6/2011 12:11:31 AM
    @Jenny, what you exactly need from me? Do you need help on registering your business or help for finding the manufacturers.

Jestin James
    Startup Biz Hub - Senior Advisor (Staff)

• 77. latanya lewis said on 4/1/2011 9:38:15 PM
    hi, i would like to start a medical supply business and i want to sell wound care, diabetes supply walkers, i live in chicago i dont know where to start can u give me the information on how to get started and what i need to open a medical supply
  • 78. Juliette said on 4/6/2011 9:17:36 PM
    Hi, I was interested in starting up my own DME Company and just dont know or have the resources to do so. I am already a medical biller and have my own company. I live in Miami, FL and already have a location for the DME in mind. All I need is some guidance.
  • 79. RON said on 4/13/2011 12:29:07 PM
    CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ACCREDITATION IN AFFORDABLE PLEASE. THANKS
  • 80. sandy said on 4/19/2011 11:05:06 PM
    business location georgia i'm interested in opening in a DME store and need help from start to finish need to know where to contact in ref to license billing medicaid/medicare just everything thanks look forward to hearing from you
  • 81. Roni beginner adviser said on 4/20/2011 9:12:08 AM

Ron, there are many different agencies and based on what you are providing will determine the best one for you. I can help you, I would just need more information from you.

Sandy, I can assist you with this process.

roniparc@gmail.com

• 82. sandy said on 4/21/2011 12:08:03 AM
    business location atlanta ga interested in starting a DME store need help from start to finish who would i get in touch with in ref to billing medicare/medicaid companies to work with in getting started thank you and i look forward hearing from you
  • 83. Roni beginner adviser said on 4/21/2011 7:45:03 AM

Latanya, do you already have a location set up?

roniparc@gmail.com

• 84. Joy said on 4/28/2011 5:37:59 PM
    I have a home care agency in Georgia, and am interested in becoming a DME supplier. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that I could begin talking to in terms of supply. Thanks!
  • 85. Ameda said on 4/30/2011 1:47:27 PM
    Hi, I needed information on starting a medical supply company from start to finish. I know this is a profitable business because I have a father who is a nursing home and all the items we had to purchase were expensive. I also work for scientific distributor that sells various items including some medical supplies and i recently saw them meeting with a minority small business owner and knew right then they would not be wasting time with him if they weren't going to be making a huge profit from him. i want to open the supply company in gwinnett county about 30minutes outside of atlanta ga.
  • 86. sabri said on 5/8/2011 10:06:29 PM
    small business for transportation medicare how i start with patient
  • 87. Victoria said on 5/13/2011 8:05:06 PM
    Louisiana--HI I'm interested in being a medical supplier for hospice companies. I will not bill any insurance companies. That will be their responsibility! However, I need to know how to proceed with the business from start to end. Is it the same as a regular DME start up business or something entirely different? Please assist me.
  • 88. gin beginner adviser said on 5/26/2011 11:39:57 AM
    New Jersey, Hi I have been in the DME industry for over 25 years and it is getting harder and harder with the competition and all the requirements that are needed to be met through medicare, no fault , workers compensation etc... If you have the stomach to wait endlessly for payment then go ahead and start your businesses, but be warned it's not all roses on the other side! you may contact me if you have a question. For Angelika contact me if you are interested in selling equipment.
  • 89. Kumar Rambhatla said on 5/31/2011 9:46:42 AM
    Hi Deanna, I am thinking of buying existing DME business with Medical and Medicare provider number in Glendora California. Currently I am discussing with couple of sellers in California. They will take joint liability until I get my provider number. Can you please guide me further in this regard. Especially with things to watch for during the buying business process which is a Stock Sale & what is a Stock Sale & what to look for. Thank You, Kumar
  • 90. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 6/6/2011 1:50:44 PM
    @Kumar, there are a number of things to look for. You must be careful in how the buyout takes place. One thing you have to know is how accreditation and Medicare will look at this transaction. You may still be required to get new provider numbers and that could first jeopardize your status with Medicaid. There is a balance to the process. My first "warning" is that you can ultimately be held responsible for past if this isn't set up correctly. If the current owners have not been compliant; you cannot separate from that through some buyout processes. So, do your homework and audit charts for compliance. Next, regarding the seller; does there reputation proceed them or follow them. Cleaning up a mess is difficult at best in this industry and the work to turn around bad referral relations is hard given the competition. I, also, caution you in that a patient populous is great, but you have to look at actually paying customers. You may email me directly to discuss the specifics of what to look for. I do offer evaluation services. My email is deanna.myers@att.net

• 91. oratile seitshiro said on 6/11/2011 3:14:05 PM
    country: Botswana (Southern Africa)
    am a young business person and my country has been having a shortage of medical supplies/pills/medicine for many years and basically this point has pushed me to want to start a company that supplies the government and private entities medicine..please generally help.this is an opportunity.it is time someone stepped in and am willing to go that extra mile
  • 92. Steve P. said on 6/20/2011 5:04:28 PM
    Westchester County, Bronx County, NY. I am very eager to obtain all the information, strategies, and procedures necessary to open a DME company in the bronx, and westchester area. I have capital to invest, and want to know how to get a medicare provider #
  • 93. Shana Cohen Finkelstein beginner adviser said on 6/23/2011 9:45:23 PM
    I am an R.N. director of patient services for a Home Health care Co in NYC,NY. I am constantly giving business to multiple DME vendors and realized that with my contacts that I have accumulated over 20+ years in the industry I am ready to take that leap. I have an interested partner who is a physical therapist who has many contacts as well. Let me know how we can avail ourselves to your consulting services.
  • 94. Marlon said on 7/5/2011 6:29:23 PM
    I would like to start the business in san Francisco bay area possibly expanding or moving to LA area. What would be your input on this and what wouldn't cost me to consult the business start up. Would like to provide rehab set up equipment for home and hospice equipment and oxygen. Thanks.
  • 95. Carie said on 7/12/2011 1:16:13 AM
    I'm in Orange Co. California..start-up..how long to grow business? Senior/diabetes supplies niche business
  • 96. Norman said on 7/17/2011 11:48:02 AM
    Started a medical supply business in february and having problems finding suitable suppliers that work with new businesses. Need help in locating suppliers/wholesalers with decent pricing.
  • 97. Nathan Jacobi beginner adviser said on 7/20/2011 7:00:55 PM
    To all those who are interested in starting a DME business whether it is wholesale, retail or e-commerce, feel free to reach out to me. Our company has been manufacturing and distributing medical equipment nationwide for over 5 years, offering competitive pricing and sales strategies. If you need help or have questions, I am more then happy to give you my insight and assistance in any way possible. Regards, Nathan Jacobi, Nathan@prodigymedical.com

Nathan@prodigymedical.com

• 98. neil jones said on 8/5/2011 5:10:21 PM
    I live in te Chicagao IL. area and looking to start a med. equipment rental business.What amount of upfront moe is needed and how profitable is this kind of business? I read some of the other comments and they mentioned a provider number how can I get one.
  • 99. k shankar said on 8/10/2011 8:35:20 AM
    i would like to start marketing medical equipment consumables as there is lot of potential in India as there are lot of hospital project coming up . i would like have the addresses for various companies in the Field of sterilization,radiology and surgery
  • 100. Andrea said on 8/16/2011 10:13:59 AM
    I work for an Urgent Care facility in State College Pennsylvania. My employer would like to expand into durable medical equipment, and has assigned me the task. Can anybody advise me exactly where to start?
  • 101. peter said on 8/16/2011 5:21:20 PM
    Hi. I live in the phoenix area and have recently been offered a position as a sales manager from a surgical manufacturing company located in Pakistan. What requirements are needed for me to sell surgical equipment in the U.S.?
  • 102. Shawn Ratliff said on 8/22/2011 3:01:25 AM
    Hi, I am looking forward to opening my DME business in Bogalusa, LA. Initially, the idea came from a very successful business man who offered me the opportunity to become a business woman with his help. He was going to provide the necessary finances, etc to get me started. I was very enthusiastic (at first) until I quickly came to the realization that this was going to benefit him much more than me (he was going to earn 50% profit under-the-table---ILLEGAL!!) So I decided to pursue this dream on my own but realize I have not a clue of where to start or even how to go about purchasing medical equipment for my sales. I also need to know about medicare/medicaid reimbursement. I need the whole 9 yards of the business. Thus far all I have accomplished is registration of my business with the Secretary of State and I have my EIN number. I know about other licensing such as city licensing, etc. I have a perfect location for my business, also. Please help!!!
  • 103. Johnny Singleton said on 8/22/2011 3:22:07 PM
    I am looking into opening a medical equipment supply in Texas. Our town has adopted a slogan of being the Retirement Capital of Texas. What is the best way to research information regarding this sort of business. I have known people that used to be in the business, but they have since passed. Any information would be helpful. Also, is there a Financial Institute that will loan money to get started?
  • 104. Susan beginner adviser said on 8/22/2011 10:16:28 PM

@Shawn, congrats on your decision to start your company!  There are quite a few rules and regulations that you'll need to follow for Medicare and Medicaid.  A physical location is required so if you've got that and you've gotten started with your licenses, those are the first steps.  The Medicare website offers a lot of information and is a great place to start.  Do you know what type of equipment you'd like to sell?  If you have more specific questions, I'd be glad to help you.  My company offers consulting, credentialing and billing services.

Susan Reno
    pinnaclecollections@hotmail.com

• 105. john gibson said on 8/29/2011 6:42:06 PM
    medsales@mac.com and nathan@prodigymedical.com above, emails is not correct. please put corrected email address because i need there information!
  • 106. kaivan said on 9/7/2011 10:26:03 AM
    I have developed a product for lower back pain and right now is in market but I am looking for a company to take over my product from production to selling. let me know if you know any of these companies thanks
  • 107. nicole said on 9/11/2011 10:49:05 AM
    Very close to acquiring medicare number yea! very scared about competitive bidding. We are located in michigan.We specialize in Respiratory equipment. anyone have any questions contact ncornchex@comcast.net
  • 108. G S MULTANI said on 9/15/2011 7:35:14 AM
    I am from India and planning to start MRI scan center. I would like to have information related to the total investment, products & company name and the space requirement to fit the equipment.
  • 109. NISHANT AGGARWAL said on 9/29/2011 1:20:25 AM
    WE WISH TO START TRADING BUSINESS IN MEDICAL EQUIPMENTS IN FARIDABAD-HARYANA-INDIA. PL ADVICE WHAT KIND OF TRADE LICENSES ARE REQUIRED TO START.WE HAVE THE SUPPLIER WITH US AND CUSTOMER WITH US, WE JUST WANT TO TRADE. REGDS, NISHANT
  • 110. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:22:16 AM

@Kaivan, There are a number of companies to look to...but my first question for you would be...has this product been approved by DMEPDAC? Also, is this a patient end-user product or should/would it be used by facilities?

• 111. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:23:41 AM

@Nicole, Competitive Bidding is a pretty daunting task! If I can offer some advice to you in that area. Make sure you do your Activity Based Cost analysis. We are fearing up to help clients through the round 2 process. We learned a lot from round 1. Look at your competition...not just knowing who they are, but finding out where in the "buckets" they will fall. From the looks of your posting, you are pretty new. There is a special concession for start-ups. Don't fall into the trap of just submitting what was accepted in round 1!

• 112. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:28:39 AM

@Shawn, If you will email me...I will send you my start-up checklist. It is a step by step document. Deanna

• 113. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:36:04 AM

@Ron, I hope that it is not too late to offer you a little advice. As far as affordable accreditation...well you have make sure that your insurance carriers recognize any of the accrediting bodies you choose. There are some cases that private and medicaids do not recognize all of the accrediting bodies (even though they are recognized by Medicare). You really need to fit the accrediting body to what your do. I have worked with each one and would love to give you any guidance you may need in determining who to use.

• 114. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:37:23 AM

@Sandy, I, too, am located in Georgia. Are you still looking to start a DME company? If you want to email me, I can see my start-up checklist!

• 115. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:40:46 AM

@Victoria, Hospice contract are an awesome business model...and if you can get the right fee schedule...this is definitely a good place to start! The problem is...most hospice carriers are going to require you to be a registered DME company with Medicare. So, why don't you send me a quick email and I will help you determine that!

• 116. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 10/3/2011 1:44:19 AM

@Norman, There are a couple of places I would like to send you...first, check out Pinnacle MedSource. They are a distributor and I love dealing with guys! Also, look at Homecare Magazines website and at the bottom of the home page is a buyers guide that list a HUGE list of suppliers and what they carry. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

• 117. Monique said on 10/10/2011 7:46:57 AM
    Hi Deanna, I have recently decided to open a medical supply company and I need guidance through the process. I am debating if I will start out in rural West Monroe, La or metropolitan Houston, Tx. I would love to have a copy of ur start up guide and to work with u if possible. My email is: monique.banks@yahoo.com. Thanks alot.
  • 118. Vijee said on 10/15/2011 12:14:33 AM
    I am based in Dallas, TX. Would like to know if I can Import Medical Equipments from India and supply it here. If so, please let me know where I can gather more information about the process involved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • 119. prajakta said on 10/17/2011 12:57:05 PM
    my name is prajakta. i'm a registered pharmacist i want to start my own medical store please let me know about the government tenders for medicals and how to do the medical store business
  • 120. Lee said on 10/23/2011 6:07:11 PM
    Houston, tx... what is needed to start a home health medical supply company? I am currently a CNA. I have a business degree. How do I get accredited? Do I need administrator to be licensed to start a medical supply company? What is needed to get approved with medicare & medicaid? What is the estimated cost to start this type of business? Can someone plz help?
  • 121. Himmat said on 10/27/2011 10:27:01 AM
    i'm from india, maharashtra, want to start M.E.supplier & dealership. please guide me step by step...
  • 122. Katrice Price said on 11/2/2011 4:29:22 PM
    I am in the process of starting a start-up home based medical equipment company in Maryland. I am in the early business planning stages and I am looking for information about the industry (i.e. industry sales, # of businesses in the industry, etc.). I am having a hard time putting together my projected revenues. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 123. Anthony Garcia said on 11/2/2011 4:48:41 PM
    Former Paramedic and Now Pharmacy tech would like info on starting a Home Dme or Pharmacy supply business.Any help woul be appreciated.
  • 124. dharam said on 11/7/2011 1:04:55 PM
    caring pharmacy, california. i want to start dme supply business. do i have to have any contract with hospital or any medical services in order to survive or do i do after open the business? any help where to start will be greatly appreciated. i have very little knowledge but not about contract.
  • 125. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 11/12/2011 5:09:04 PM

@Anthony, A home-based DME supply business is limited in the products you can offer. The competition in this industry is tough and reimbursement from insurance companies is almost a requirement. Many state licenses prevent a home based business option and many of your insurance companies will not offer in-network status to home based dme suppliers. If you wish to contact me regarding supplies that you could build from as a home based business I would be more that happy to respond.

@Katrice Price, If you email me directly, I can send you my start-up check list that has links to the information you are needing/wanting! Deanna

• 126. NF said on 11/14/2011 11:54:08 AM
    Atlanta, Ga. How do you all recommend any really good honest DME companies that people can work...one that target Seniors mainly...
  • 127. Eric said on 11/18/2011 5:06:30 PM
    I'm located just outside NYC and want to buy or start a DME rental business. I have some doctors in the pipeline that will send me prescriptions I need to learn the backend of the biz. I have a location and suppliers. Please give me a hand.
  • 128. Chad said on 11/27/2011 10:57:09 PM
    I have a product. It is a nasal cannula stabilizer to help deliver more O2 to patient while eliminating sores behind ears and under nose. One user then discard. Own patent and it has been approved by the FDA. Got turned down first time by Medicare. They said it was a luxury item not a necessity. Getting clinical trials to prove necessity. How do I get it into hospitals. Do I go directly to hospital buyer or do I go through a med supply company that bundles many items to sell to hospitals? Do not know how to proceed.
  • 129. shivakant said on 12/11/2011 7:40:20 AM
    right now i am working in medical device co. from last 7 yrs. i just want to start medical device supply please advice how to start with investment detail.. shivakant, from fatehpur u.p. 40 km from kanpur
  • 130. isaac said on 12/13/2011 2:54:26 PM
    i need help starting up in selling supplies to hospitals and homecare where do i start buying from to get good pricing in quantity?
  • 131. aaron said on 12/26/2011 4:02:46 PM
    Hi, I am looking forward to opening my DME business in Texas. I have several connections with home health care agencies and doctors and was seeking to open a DME to provide medical supplies to them and we already have location but i need some more information regarding the start up for a DME business .
  • 132. Robert Wentworth said on 12/27/2011 2:32:29 AM
    Hello, I am looking at starting a medical equipment REPAIR company in the Kansas area. I have been a biomed in the military and civilian sectors for over 7 years now, working field service and in house. Does anyone have any experience and advice on this? Thank you!
  • 133. Daniel R said on 1/7/2012 3:36:43 PM
    Chicago, IL, USA. I am looking to purchase an orthotics/dme/hme company in Chicagoland. Does anyone have any leads?
  • 134. Tina Ortiz said on 1/11/2012 6:20:17 PM
    Hi, I am interested in starting a DME business in Houston. I am currently a foster parent for HCS clients and will have an established customer base starting out through my agency. I understand that due to Medicaid regulations it cannot be a home based business. What are the start up cost for licensing and do you have to have a certain amount in reserve to receive the licensing?
  • 135. Sadia Pacasi said on 1/18/2012 7:00:14 PM
    Hi,I am very interested in starting a medical supply company. I want to start in a small space and good location. I would like to know what I'm able to sell /not. If you can please give me advice. THANK YOU Sadi
  • 136. joseph said on 2/5/2012 1:36:35 AM
    I am experienced nearly 25 years in medical business and twenty years in saudi alone with high ability of outsourcing medical products also. i would like to see if anyone could join me up as a real investor for starting up a business in saudi. I also accept to directly work for good medical product manufacturers as a salaried or commission agent to promote their indigenous competitive products. Appreciate and welcome honest / trustworthy partners only. please provide your mail address etc.
  • 137. Blanca said on 2/5/2012 3:57:41 PM
    I want to start a DME in South Texas. I have some experience in marketing for home health agency and want to specialize in Diabetic supplies. I'm in the process of selling my small business (other industry) that started in 1999. I have good(medical) contacts and have business experience.How do I get accredited? What is needed to get approved with medicare & medicaid? What is the estimated cost to start this type of business? With all these changes in the health care industry, does it make any sense to start a DME ? Please Advise. THANK YOU Deanna.
  • 138. Letitia Clark said on 2/8/2012 11:03:06 PM
    Hi Deanna I am very interested in your help..i will like to purchase your step by step guidance program and all help your consulting business may offer. I have been in the medical field for 24yrs and I several medical startup business ideas and selling medical equipment is one of them please help me!!! Thank You
  • 139. Nonso Nosike said on 2/10/2012 11:24:08 AM
    I am interested in starting durable medical equipment business in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I have a large office space already. I am an RN with 8 years of experience. Could you please provide me with an advice of the requirements to get the license? Thanks.
  • 140. Mian Naeem said on 2/12/2012 3:56:41 AM
    i am interesting in starting a medical equipment business. i am from pakisan. the market for this business is very huge because pakistan have very large population. is there any body who guide me in this regard.
  • 141. Bill Chaudhry said on 2/16/2012 12:40:48 AM
    I have been in the DME business for 18 years. So if you want to know how to do it e-mail me. medimart@hotmail.com
  • 142. T. Sai Prashanth said on 2/18/2012 4:21:41 AM
    I have 15 years + exp in pharma and health care industry and working in a company as a middle level manager. I work in chennai (India). I am looking to start for a small scale medical devices and equipments in Cardiac care and Dental Care for which I am taking survey currently. Getting a distribution from any leading company is ruled out as 100% of the those companies have regular distributors. Secondly, investment is a problem and the credit limit given to the clients roughly works between 45 to 60 days. My simple question is how start and how to rotate money to maintain both demand and uninterrupted supply.
  • 143. cherry said on 2/24/2012 5:33:06 PM
    1400 Millgate Dr. Suite A, Winston Salem, NC 27103. I have run a Podiatry lab before but someone else did the billing. I have gotten my new lab ready for accreditation and preparing for ABC to come out. There are so many questions that I need answered like after you get accredited with medicare do you then make application to medicaid and then all the other insurance carriers? I am a small custom orthotic lab with custom shoes and Diabetic shoes.
  • 144. real choice said on 3/6/2012 11:50:36 AM
    hi how are u. i have plan to start a DME business. can u help how i get product whole rate. where i get? how i get address and phone number.
  • 145. Emmanuel said on 3/25/2012 10:35:26 PM
    Hi, I'm in Camarillo, California and need some info in starting a DME business. Any suggestions. I have no experience..
  • 146. Zwai said on 3/31/2012 6:35:10 AM
    Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. I am a Paramedic with a number of years experience and wish to start an Ambulance service and a Healthcare centre(hospice). I have registered a company , I have a business plan but I need financing. I can accept partnership.
  • 147. Hari Shankar Qian beginner adviser said on 4/19/2012 2:17:37 AM

Hello, I am Hari shankar from india, now settled in suzhou city of china and involving into import and export business, we also provide sourcing, auditing, inspection, distribution and third party legal contract services to the Indian traders who deal with Chinese traders, we are expertise in this business. Kindly contact me at haribasky@gmail.com or hari@shenyco.com, PH: +86 15962188015, MSN: haribasky@gmail.com

hari@shenyco.com | India China Import Export Business Consultant

• 148. kamran said on 4/28/2012 2:34:10 AM
    hi, i'm from india kolkata, looking forward to do business from china in medical equipment, do advice me regarding this business asap, regards kamran.
  • 149. Tawil said on 4/29/2012 5:33:37 AM
    How to start a medical equipment sales & service business in Dubai or Egypt
  • 150. Rebecca said on 5/15/2012 9:47:50 PM
    I will have my NC State DME License in a few weeks. Is it possible to bill commercial insurances with only a State DME License or do I have to wait until I get my Medicare number to bill ANY commercial insurances? Is an NPI ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in order to bill commercial insurance? If there are commercial insurances I can bill having a DME license and no Medicare number, do you know any of them off hand? Do you know of a website or forum I can reference?
  • 151. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 5/17/2012 9:38:51 PM
    @Rebecca, Yes, you can bill Private/Third Party Insurance Companies before you have your Medicare number. Start by looking at the requirements for the company you are wanting to be enrolled in. Some of the insurance companies will want you to be accredited before recognizing you as in-network. You may contact me directly at deanna.myers@att.net if you need more help.

• 152. Lisa B said on 5/21/2012 4:34:46 PM
    Jackson, MS. I own a family practice clinic and would like to offer DME to my patients-mainly orthotics. Can I use my own NPI/Tax ID number or do I need a different one to complete the Medicare paperwork? Which Medicare Papers should be filled out, Thanks
  • 153. Elke said on 6/19/2012 5:54:07 PM
    Hi Deanna, RE: DME in Georgia, I have emailed you several times, in hopes of getting your step by step guide. We may be interested in your consulting services also. Please contact me at eematthews2@yahoo.com . We need your help. Thanks.
  • 154. Elke said on 7/1/2012 2:46:06 PM
    I have received no response from Deanna. Can anyone in Georgia who has begun the process (DME) please contact me at eematthews2@yahoo.com. Thank you.
  • 155. Patrice newton said on 7/9/2012 2:27:19 PM
    Am a consultant in the medical equipment industry I offers start-up assistance step by step guidance for opening a medical supply company or help with your medical billing. You are welcome to contact me directly at patricenewton30@yahoo.com
  • 156. Steve said on 7/12/2012 1:28:30 PM
    I am a Respiratory Therapist and I would like to know how to start up and home Capp/bipap company. What are the steps?
  • 157. Steve said on 7/12/2012 1:30:15 PM
    I am a Respiatory Therapy in NJ and I would like to know how to start up a home Cpap/Bipap company in NJ?
  • 158. Samuel said on 7/21/2012 10:39:33 AM
    I would like to know if i need any approval to sell Diapers, Gloves and wipes to the people who are not covered by medicare/medicaid? Is there any chance of making good money from this?
  • 159. Pamishiya said on 8/28/2012 2:27:08 AM
    Hi my name is pamishiya i want to start a small medical equipment supply industry tell me how to start and how much capital it may require
  • 160. DR MAHMOOD said on 8/28/2012 2:10:03 PM
    I AM PLANNING TO START EXPORTING SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS MADE IN SIALKOT PAKISTAN. SIALKOT IS HUB OF SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS IN PAKISTAN. I WANT TO TAKE ORDERS AND EXPORT THE INSTRUMENT ON DEMAND. NEED ADVICE AND HELP IN THIS REGARD AND HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. THANKS. MY EMAIL smartradiologist@hotmail.com
  • 161. shaikh said on 9/12/2012 10:05:41 AM
    Me looking for sole agent in saudi for medical devices if any company interested contact me soon. Shaikh@fajergroup.com
  • 162. R said on 9/17/2012 11:57:08 AM
    I am seeking a business partner to start up a med. supply company in Colorado. I am an entrepreneur and have successfully owned 4 different types of sales businesses. I am highly successful! contact me for anyone wanting to get moving In Colorado. Extremely good potential! I will travel. I am dedicated and focused. I am looking for a Doctor, or anyone that can partner up with me and show me the ropes. Invest with me in Colorado. email me. rllockard@gmail.com
  • 163. Gwendolyn C.H said on 10/19/2012 3:35:45 PM
    Smyrna, Ga. 30080 Info on starting a medical supply business. The product costs and administrative costs. Leasing costs. Thank-you.
  • 164. florence fatungase said on 10/26/2012 4:50:35 AM
    am in maryland, need help to start a business.
  • 165. J. Baul said on 10/26/2012 2:37:54 PM
    Rex, GA. I am interested in selling or leasing gently used medical equipment like crutches, wheelchairs, canes, etc. What information can you give me regarding this?
  • 166. Jason said on 10/29/2012 5:34:03 PM
    I am starting a home based medical supply business in CA. Looking to sell overseas and in the US. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • 167. Wayne said on 11/14/2012 8:41:09 AM
    I'm looking to relocate to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I would like the opportunity to share my 17 years of operational experience and ideas of running a virtual DME company to be more profitable in an environment of shrinking reimbursements.
  • 168. b.k said on 12/11/2012 3:33:24 PM
    hello i need advice on starting home base medical equipment business please if you could help me i would grateful to you. thank you for your help and advice.
  • 169. Omar said on 12/12/2012 8:24:04 AM
    Orlando, FL. Looking to start an online medical supply business and seeking out suppliers that can offer competitive pricing. Thanks
  • 170. l&r said on 12/13/2012 12:00:22 PM
    Location Camden Nj i needed to know what would be the start up cost for inventory would be for a dme supply store carrying mainly high turnover products
  • 171. Omar said on 1/10/2013 11:46:00 PM
    Hello, I want to start an incontinence supply company in Texas and my question is if I have to be Medicare certified and what kind of accreditation I would need? We would only be billing Medicaid and only be dealing with Medicaid patients and supplies. Can anyone give me some advise. Thank you!!!!
  • 172. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/14/2013 6:03:11 PM

@Omar, If you are billing for insurance reimbursement of any kind for any product. you will have to be accredited (there are some very rare exceptions, I know, but more that require it than don't). If you are billing Texas Medicaid for incontinence products for adults, YES, you will need to Medicare certified. Deanna

• 173. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/14/2013 6:04:11 PM

@l&r, L&R: the start up cost for inventory for a dme supply store is really dependent on what your product mix is. I have seen companies spend as little a $4,000.00 on inventory and as much a 100,000.00+. You, also, have to know your market to really know that your high turnover products would be. I think the most frustrating question companies ask that I cannot answer off the cuff is this one. There are hundreds of categories and thousands of products to choose from. Deanna

• 174. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/14/2013 6:06:42 PM

@Wayne, I actually know a company that is looking for a management. Will you contact me with your resume? deanna.myers@att.net

• 175. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/14/2013 6:16:01 PM

@Omar, One of the best places to find suppliers for Durable Medical Equipment is at the Medtrade website. It lists the vendors for the most recent convention and the next convention. You, also, can find vendors at hmenews and homecare magazine. These are both online magazines...but excellent resources. Deanna

• 176. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/14/2013 6:25:48 PM

@b.k, If you are looking to be a Durable/Home Medical Supplier that provides equipment directly to the patient. It is difficult to get the licensing and certifications you need. If you want to be a home based business, i suggest you find items that are considered cash items and fall outside the DME benefit. You will need to pay special attention here to your state licensing requirements.

• 177. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 1/20/2013 3:31:37 AM
    What would be a general start-up cost for nursing uniforms to be sold online,and do you think this would be a profitable business.

• 178. kpelih said on 1/23/2013 7:21:55 AM
    ANGEL MEDICAL GROUP.I have been a hospital administrator for the past 10 years and want to venture into hospital equipment supplies need contacts for partnership i am in Ghana and my company is registered in Ghana
  • 179. shazad said on 1/28/2013 2:35:57 PM
    Hi, Uk based organisation looking to export Medical goods and pharmaceutical drugs to expanding markets across, Europe, Asia Middle East & Africa. shazadz@hotmail.com. Please email if you feel there is a opportunity within your country, hopefully build good partnership
  • 180. Noor Muhammad said on 2/8/2013 7:57:19 PM
    Hi, i live in Canada (Mississauga). I am Professionally Analytical Chemist. I want to use my 8 years Pharmaceutical and Contract Laboratory experience in Business.I want to start my Medical Equipment and Pharma Consultancy Business in Canada and Pakistan.
    (1) what kind of accreditation I would need?
    (2) What is needed to get approved with medicare & medicaid?
    (3) What is the estimated cost to start this type of business? Can someone plz help?
  • 181. lucky said on 2/13/2013 2:09:37 AM
    Hi I'm lucky from south africa I have been a male nurse years me and my business partner we want to open a medical equipment business we have the. Capital and a building for a store plus the business is registered now we don't know where to start plz tell us
  • 182. joseph manuel said on 2/18/2013 1:47:53 PM
    Hi, I am thinking to start a medical equipment business in toronto, Canada. I need your guidance from scratch to finish, I don't have any back ground on medical or business line. Please help me to start by small type.
  • 183. roxxi said on 2/21/2013 4:05:35 AM
    Hi, I'm looking for a low cost user friendly software for a DME business that has just started up. Something I can access readily on my laptop and in the office. Please help
  • 184. Cynthia Akoma said on 2/23/2013 1:45:58 AM
    297 Dogwood Street,Bolingbrook, Il. I would like information on starting a DME home based company. Thanks
  • 185. Annette Sandoval said on 3/7/2013 2:11:13 PM
    I am a REGISTERED nurse with over 15 years experience and my daughter is finishing her degree in Respiratory therapy I am starting a DME and want to offer oxygen supplies and incontinence supplies as well as cathaters teaching self catch etc.. please send info I am located in DFW,TX area.
  • 186. vinay said on 3/13/2013 3:16:31 PM
    Location: San Fernando Valley, CA. Hello Deena, I am interested in starting some kind of medical sales business. I do not have a killer mindset, more one of making and maintaining relations. I have recently started google-ing info. What to start? Couple of things that came up is an imaging business, or medical supply business or even not too sophisticated medical device sales. Where to start? Should I start attending trade shows? Which ones? Any advise? Best Regards.
  • 187. Henry said on 4/2/2013 12:17:44 PM
    I am Henry U orji Charmian global needs serv ltd based in Nigeria and the intend publisher of Media talk Africa, A new magazine that will disseminate news/information. there is a whole lot of ideas on health development in Africa and needed partnership. please contact me on with this email for more chat. globalneeds@yahoo.com or 8033797647
  • 188. tinei said on 4/7/2013 2:55:02 PM
    I work for a healtcare company and want to venture into supply of medical equipment in SA, Zim and Mozambique
  • 189. siddiqui said on 4/11/2013 5:54:12 AM
    hello, we want to start medical disposables non woven supply business in Dubai, can u tell me the procedure to start it. And the market conditions. THANKS & REGARDS, SIDDIQUI
  • 190. sedireng TIBE said on 4/24/2013 8:58:56 AM
    hi, i am in Botswana .i have recently decided to open a medical supply company and i need guidance through the process.
  • 191. Steve said on 4/26/2013 6:11:20 AM
    I am amazed that people would even consider getting into this industry. Please before you even consider investing in the home medical equipment area, talk to an current owner. The industry is in complete melt down mode because of the implementation of competitive bidding by Medicare. Thousand of companies are going out of business nationwide. Insurers are constantly reducing reimbursement. I have co owned a dme company since 1986 and ave never been more frightened and discouraged by the changes. I pray I can survive!
  • 192. Julie said on 4/26/2013 5:34:26 PM
    Steve, thank you for this insight. Yes, am in a dilemma to put up this type of business because of the recent health care law. I am living in Houston, Tx and ' just want to know how much would be the necessary capital and average income. If you can still reply I will highly appreciate it.
  • 193. Ajay said on 5/4/2013 3:10:44 PM
    can any one help , how do i start exporting my pharma and medical goods in middle ease ajay_71088@yahoo.co.in. any agent can also contact me and guide me on commission basis.
  • 194. Dave said on 5/7/2013 1:03:42 AM
    I am planning to open my own medical Device and surgical Device business. Can any body help me or guide me. please contact me. Thank you In advance.
  • 195. beth said on 5/23/2013 8:15:55 PM
    I am planning to open a dme business and I live in guam. I would like to know step by step and what to do. how much capital and what equipment I need in order for me to pass medicare and jc accreditation. thank you
  • 196. ERIC ROBERTSON said on 6/8/2013 3:19:23 PM
    i am located in dallas texas and i need help i have already started setting up my company can you help me in getting set up
  • 197. Q said on 6/26/2013 2:26:05 AM
    Hello @Deanna Myers, I'm located in Georgia and need help starting a medical supply business. What Items can I sell that do not require a medicare license. How I find out what products are needed the most? Help!
  • 198. Renee F said on 7/3/2013 6:46:33 PM
    Stockton,CA-Online Medical Supply Business- I am trying to start a medical supply business providing testing strips for hypertension patients that are issued by prescription from the doctor. Where do I start?
  • 199. Deanna Myers beginner adviser said on 7/8/2013 11:38:43 AM
    @Renee F, if you are referring to diabetic testing strips and your target customers are Medicare Recipients...you will have to rethink your business model. Competitive Bid that took effect July 1st included mail order diabetic supplies. To add to that, the reimbursement for these items has been lowered and profit margins are very slim. Many commercial insurance policies do not cover these items and though you can build business from selling these items cash, it is a difficult sell. Consideration of this business model in my opinion would be dependent on the licensing requirements for your state. California's licensing process is long and difficult. It is, also, important to know that you need to research each state you wish to mail to, many states have licensing requirements regarding this type of medical supply. You will need to be licensed in those states as well. I wish I could give you more encouraging information!

• 200. elfas said on 7/17/2013 1:22:52 PM
    i am in zimbabwe and have registered a surgical and medical sundries supply business. i would like to get in touch with overseas manufacturers and distributors of the above so that we can do business together. i am on elfas.tavagadza@yahoo.com