Pigs can be raised in controlled or free environment, as a small- or large-scale business. But in whatever size, a prospective farmer would need inputs as to how to raise pigs efficiently and in a more productive manner. Read from our guide and learn the basics on choosing piglets, proper nutrition, and ideal housing.
Raising pigs can be pursued as a small-scale operation as source of family meat and supplement income or it can be made into a large-scale operation.
Pigs may be raised in highly controlled environments (hog lots) indoor, in open spaces or barns as breeding sows or grown and sold for slaughter to butcher shops. Here are the aspects of pig raising that a grower must carefully consider:
Choosing Piglets to Raise
Pig feeders can be obtained from stock breeders, and producers, in auctions and classified ads. Pigs are of different breeds some of them are well suited for specific environments, indoor or outdoor. Crossbred pigs tend to grow faster, consume feed more efficiently and are vigorous. When buying a feeder, choose the large and healthy looking ones, at least 25 lbs. If you are choosing a male, which is observed to grow slightly faster than females, get one that is already castrated. Male or female, they are preferably immunized. Ask the breeder for health information and stock of the breeder.
Proper Nutrition for Pigs
Pigs feed on both grains and meat. They can also be fed with cooked table scraps and vegetables. Corn is their most common food, but they could benefit from having a diet with protein from soybeans or cooked meat. Further, they grow faster with vitamins and other supplements. Piglets have higher protein requirements than mature ones. Feeds can be bought packaged and in bulk. Pigs must also have adequate supply of drinking water daily, about two to four gallons. Provide water either through a tub or automatic nipple waterer.
Ideal Housing for Pigs
Pigs need housing to keep them warm during cold temperatures and to shelter them from excessive heat. Pigs are sensitive to heat and could die from heat stress. When housed indoors, temperature conditions must be well regulated. Controlled temperature conditions can help maximize growth. Cooling mechanisms for pigs can come in the form of drip water system or a wallow (for a hog pen).
Pigs can be housed indoors in individual stalls, pens (in groups or batch) or in barns. Even if the pigs are raised outdoors they would need a shelter during cold and hot weathers. The housing should have a space for feeding and bedding.
Pig Farm Sanitation
Sanitation is important to keep the pigs disease-free. A mechanism for easy cleaning and removal of waste is necessary for any type of pig housing. Some use slotted pen floors to make waste collection easy. Hosing a barn and removal of manure daily are recommended. So is keeping the floor dry to reduce odour.
After five to seven months, pigs are likely to reach ideal market weight of more than 200 lbs. They could be sold at livestock auctions or slaughtered for meat.
Q. Different breeds of pig for meat?
A. Berkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, Landrace and Pietrain are few of the breeds available in market for farming.
Q. When to sell a pig, what is the best weight?
A. 175 to 260 pounds is the best weight of a pig to sell in the market.
Q. Best breed of pig for meat purpose?
A. Duroc is the best pig breed for meat.
Q. Feed requirements?
A. You can feed them vegetables, high protein grain diet and ground corn. You can feed the pigs once or twice a day for maximum weight gain. Remember water is most important for pig as one third of the pig body is made up of water.
Q. Which is the best breed pig for producing more piglets?
A. More likely Duroc is the best breed pig which produces more piglets..
|<<Basic Guide to Biodynamic Agriculture||Starting Aquaculture Farming >>|
612 Responses to "Pig Farming".
0756439786 || Uganda || Pig Farming Consultant
0756439786 || Uganda || Pig Farming Consultant
- How to Start an Indian Restaurant Business
- Juice and Smoothie Bar
- Starting a Hostel Business
- Starting a Chinese Fast Food Restaurant
- Startup Sushi Restaurant
Mobile Business Ideas
- How to Start Mobile Catering
- How to Start Your Own Charter Fishing Business
- How to Start a Mobile Spa Business
- Mobile Detailing Business Startup Kit
- How to Start Mobile Notary Business
Farming Business Ideas
- How to Start a Poultry Farm
- Starting Chicken Farm Business
- Starting a Dairy Farm Business
- How to Start a Fish Farming Business
- Start a Rabbit Farm
Service Business Ideas
Small Business Ideas
- Starting a Taxi Business
- How to Start a Trucking Business
- How to Start a Shoe Business
- Starting a Hair Care Product Business
- How to Start a Towing Business
Small Business Articles
- How to Start a Gas Station
- Starting a Night Club
- How Much Does it Cost to Charter a Private Jet
- How Do You Calculate The Mark Up Price
Home Based Business
- Starting a Funeral Home Business
- Starting a Home Health Agency
- How to Start a Home Baking Business
- Ideas for Home Based Business
- Starting a Woodworking Business
Shop Business Ideas
- Starting a Pawn Shop Business
- How to Start Auto Body Shop
- How to Start a Meat Shop
- How to Start a Donut Shop
- How to Open a Sandwich Shop
Store Business Opportunities
- Starting a Grocery Store Business
- Starting a Fashion Clothing Store
- How to Open a Liquor Store
- How to Start a Drug Store Business
- How to Start a Beauty Supply Store