How to Sell Your Product to Retailers

Small and large businesses aim to sell their products to many retailers. However, some business owners find difficulty in selling their products.

In this sense, it is necessary to know how to sell your products to retailers.

Selling products to retailers is different between small and big retailers. This is because small retailers are flexible while big retailers follow a system. Nevertheless, you should not be worried because there are helpful tips on how you can sell products to big retailers.

Selling to Big Retailers

• Getting listed – If you want to supply your products to big retailers make sure that you get listed. This is the key for you to land the big spot of retailers. Once you are included in the list of largest retailers in the market you can expect for success. Nevertheless, it is not that easy to be in the list because you need to obtain the attention of the retailers. Likewise, you should influence and convince them that they can generate profits from your products. You should persevere to meet retailer’s buyers to get their trust.
  • Create well-defined business process – Most retailers have their own automation system. In this sense, you should use bar coding so that retailers can give you shelf space. Likewise, showing them that you can adapt their systems and can provide stocks quickly without any problem. You should be honest about the delivery time so that they will trust you.
  • Patience – while making in the list you should be patient. This is because it will take time before you see your product on the shelves. That is why you should have good cash flow while waiting for the time to land on the shelves. On the other hand, you can start generating income once the products are already out in the shelves and the checkout counters. Keep in mind that you need to patient and flexible to changes in order to stay in the business.
  • Understand the product – If you want to sell your products to retailers make sure that you believe in it. As much as possible you should study the product regarding the documentation and technical aspects. Likewise, make sure that you can present your product in different perspectives specifically the environmental aspects. Being an environmentally friendly product has an edge to attract end consumers and buyers. In addition, you can also seek help from experienced sales agent who has extensive skill in dealing with large retailers. Networking can also help in getting shelf space.
  • Advertising – After getting listed and sell your products, the next step is to advertise your product in order to increase the sales. Through effective advertising you can expect that more retailers will get your products and eventually your sales will escalate.

• 1. S. Ndebele said on 5/29/2011 7:21:11 AM
    hi, i'm a small scale farmer in south africa located in the province of kwazulunatal in zululand. my business specializes on chickens (broilers) and vegetables. i want to sell my product to retailers and wholesalers. please help.
  • 2. B. Maimela said on 6/15/2011 5:02:38 PM
    I'm based in Gauteng and need to know how to reach the buyers of large retailers. How do I get hold of them? How do I also get hold of the buyers of wholesalers? What is the procedure, if any?
  • 3. michelle said on 9/2/2011 10:32:16 PM
    i have a salvage yard and i need to know where to sell my scrap to i buy low but i want to sell high is there a number to a wholesale place or retailer that i can sale to
  • 4. Gene Taylor said on 7/23/2012 1:44:37 PM
    Pretoria, South Africa, Hermanstad. I started to make beds. Its a eye catcher very practical strong simple to assemble only 4 bolds bed with a antique look. Who can help me to sell my beds?
  • 5. ramani abraham said on 11/10/2012 6:05:47 PM
    I am in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. I want to make use of my top floor for some business. I would like to explore my options with minimum investment.
  • 6. halle said on 11/28/2012 5:08:49 PM
    I am an undergraduate in Nigeria, I want to start a biz that involves buying and selling of wine, actually I take care of myself. If u have an idea of what to buy and who 2 sell 2, contact me on 07058082842
  • 7. vonbismarkcanonizado said on 6/27/2013 7:57:31 PM
    i want to start my own meat shop. i have already 17 cow head. pls advice me how to make it successful
  • 8. Bimal said on 6/17/2014 4:47:44 PM
    timber based business in kolkata india
  • 9. Jane Fan beginner adviser said on 10/20/2014 10:38:13 PM
    Corn milling plant and grain processing equipment for sale with design guidance, installation and considerate after-sales service. janefan462@gmail.com

janefan462@gmail.com || Consultant

• 10. PRINCE RAJ said on 11/27/2014 2:46:18 PM
    DEAR SIR, I AM STARTING A CABLE MANUFACTURING PLANT IN ALLAHBAD, UP. SIR PLZ HELP ME SO THAT I CAN INITIALLY SELL MY PRODUCTS WITH SOME INITIAL PROFIT. THANKING YOU, REGARDS!
  • 11. Imyiyaz rehman said on 7/20/2016 9:52:19 AM
    I want to start grey cotton business so HOW CAN I CONTACT FOREIGN BUYERS? OR HOW CAN I EXPORT MY COTTON. Thanks and Regards