List of Tax Write Offs for Self-Employed
Tax write offs are entirely different to those who are self-employed as compared to those who are not. Hence, it is very important for a self-employed person to know his tax write offs.
If you want to know the specific list of tax write offs of those self-employed, the following paragraphs will provide you the details.
Tax Write Offs and its Importance
Before getting to the specific list of tax write off, let us first discuss its entirety. Tax write offs are also referred to as “tax deductions”. These are the expenses that you should know since they are necessary and relevant to you and your business. Those who are not well-aware of their tax write offs usually do not know how to maximize and increase their chances of getting sizeable tax returns. As compared to those who knows their tax write offs, they never overlook the qualified and possible tax deductions which they could have taken advantage of.
Specific List of Tax Write Offs
The following will show you the list of tax write offs that you must take into consideration. Use this as your checklist and your reference.
Overhead expenses typically include:
- Home Office or Office Rent
- Supplies and Equipment
- Fax Machine, Printer, Copier
- Internet Service and Other Computer Related Expenses
- Maintenance and Repairs
- Upkeep including landscaping, sanitation, etc.
There are several other things that may be included but that will depend on what type of business you are in. Just try to think and check all the overhead expenses and include all of it to your list.
Marketing and advertising expenses include:
- Media Used (Print, Radio, Television, and Internet)
- Advertising Specialties (Magnets, Cups, Pens, etc.)
- Market Research
- Automobile Signs
- Mailing List
- Tradeshow or Booths
- Search Engine Optimization
- Business Cards and Promo Cards
Training and education expenses usually include:
- Books and electronic books
- Seminars as well as Workshops
- DVD’s, CD’s, and Other Learning Software
- Business Kits
- Conference Calls
Other categories of tax write offs also include administrative expenses, Travel Expenses, and Auto Expenses. Administrative expenses often involve postage, stationary like bus, letterhead, cards, etc, office supplies, and P.O Box or the Suite Box Rental. While travel expenses are the fares paid either by airplane, cab, train, and other similar expenses. Travel also includes the tolls, car rental, gas as well as the mileage, the travel agency cost, travel membership costs, and the permits. Lastly, auto expenses are the repairs, oil or gas, insurance, car washes or waxes, license, vehicle price, parking or toll charges, and the drivers training expenses.
Remember that you can add or subtract expenses basing from your type of business. Not all that are included in the list may apply to your situation.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Starting Rental Business
- Ideas for Small Business
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Retail Store Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Advice for Small Business
- Financing a Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Small Business Articles
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Business Insurance Information
- Instructor Guides