Starting a Vending Machine Business

You have seen those vending machines in hospitals, schools and might have known how much they earn their owners everyday, but you don’t know how to get into the business yourself and reap those profits.

By reading this article, you will find for yourself a good business guide in starting a vending machine business.

Most people consider a vending machine business to be one of the best businesses that there are. This is because a single vending machine can dish out quite an income everyday, especially when the products that it contains are popular among the people. However, you cannot just get a vending machine and put it somewhere. You cannot just even decide on entering into the venture without careful research and planning.

Startup Costs of Vending Machine Business

The startup cost for a vending machine business will vary according to two factors: the type of vending machine that you will be using, and how many machines will you be deploying to different locations. A typical candy or gum ball vending machine, for example, would cost US$300 each.

Since you are just starting the business, it is advisable to start out with the smaller and less expensive machines, like the candy/gum ball machines. Even if they are small, candies are popular with children so they can give you good returns in as short a time as possible. A candy machine are capable of giving you as much as US$127.50 per week individually. When you have earned quite enough, you can then roll over the money and acquire some new and different types of machines.

Ideal Locations to Set up a Vending Machine

One factor that contributes to the success of a vending machine business is the placement of the machines themselves. A profitable vending machine is one that is placed at a location in which many people pass by. These places include the lobbies of buildings like schools and large companies, and outside restaurants. There are many places that you can deploy your vending machines and expect good returns.

The place should have a power source for your machine, or it will be useless. Also, if you are renting the spot, tell the owner that you wish to pay a fixed rent every month instead of a portion of the earnings. This is for your protection, because the more your machines earn, the more you will have to give to the owner. This might lead him to take the business for himself and boot you out.

It is also a good idea to check out locations for yourself, instead of taking advice especially from people who will charge you for every advice they give you. No one gains without taking a little pain, and the effort you exert in finding your locations will pay off later on when the place you selected turns out to be profitable.

• 1. Jeanine Long said on 7/31/2009 8:14:26 AM
    I am just starting a gum vending business and I went to two franchise restaurants and they said corporate office will not let you place them there. Have you ran across this issues also? thanks
  • 2. Daniel Ssekiboobo said on 12/25/2009 11:28:15 AM
    I urgently need more information on vending machines/business and their possibility in Africa
  • 3. Unami Mokobi said on 5/11/2010 4:09:11 AM
    I am interested in write ups for service vending machines. Kindly advise what guidance you have in that regard? I am in Botswana, southern Africa,
  • 4. atuchukwu chidinma onyinye said on 5/17/2010 10:50:57 AM
    my business location is in abuja, nigeria. pls I want to know if its possible to start a vending business here in nigera especially gums and candies. if yes pls how do i get started
  • 5. Justice Bende said on 8/31/2010 8:30:08 AM
    I intend to locate my business in Abuja, Nigeria. I've been looking forward to starting a vending business for soft drinks, Candies, gums etc as well, but I lack any idea on how to get the machines and how to manage them as well. I would appreciate any help.
  • 6. hillary titus said on 9/7/2010 10:02:53 AM
    Would you be kind enough to let me know how i can get good vending machines for soft drinks, snacks, candies, gums etc. and how to manage them profitably. I reside in Abuja, Nigeria. Thanks as i look forward to your assistance in this regard.
  • 7. Nike Adebayo said on 9/28/2010 3:08:04 AM
    Please i would like to know how to write a business plan for vending machine and how to start off drinks vending business. My business location is Lagos, Nigeria.
  • 8. EMMANUEL SANNI said on 6/23/2011 9:06:12 AM
    I need information on any Nigeria company or international company with representatives in Lagos Nigeria dealing in ????? sales and servicing of soft drinks vending machines. Regards
  • 9. frederick said on 6/26/2011 12:43:59 PM
    please i would like to know how to purchase n manage the vending machine for soft drinks and the one that can accept naira...my location is calabar,cross river state.
  • 10. shane samlal said on 8/19/2011 8:28:07 PM
    i am from trinidad and tobago the west indies. i would like to know some more info on sourcing and managing of the candy and soft drinks machine.Thank you
  • 11. shane samlal said on 8/25/2011 5:59:23 PM
    i am anxiously awaiting your response i am very interested. i am from trinidad and tobago. this business will do great in my country but i need to know how to go about marketing these, drinks and also candy machines for rental. Also the cost involved and the sourcing of these machines.Thank you.
  • 12. Gladys Irabor said on 11/10/2011 2:53:31 AM
    Hi, Please how can i rent/purchase a good vending machines for soft drinks, snacks, candies, gums etc. for a business location in lagos. I reside in Lagos, Nigeria. Your quick response is urgently required. Thanks as i look forward to your reply. Regards, Gladys
  • 13. oriaifo ogbe said on 9/1/2012 3:20:19 PM
    i work with the nigerian railways corporation at ebute metta, lagos. i would like to know where i can buy a vending machine.
  • 14. Hanz Barbour said on 3/21/2013 4:56:28 PM
    I am doing some research into getting into the vending machine business location is Trinidad and Tobago what information can you give me. Looking forward to your reply...thanks, Hanz
  • 15. Godfrey said on 4/2/2013 10:39:00 AM
    I want to know where i can buy Vending Machine in Botswana and South Africa..
  • 16. Millie said on 4/4/2013 4:36:05 AM
    I would like to know where can I buy different vending machines, i'm in Botswana-Africa
  • 17. seun said on 10/29/2013 6:01:20 AM
    nigeria, kwara state, ilorin i want to know if the vending machine can be customized to use ticket subscription as a means to buy.
  • 18. CHIBUZO said on 11/21/2013 12:57:32 PM
    OUR COMPANY IS A DISTRIBUTOR OF AIRTIME IN NIGERIA, WE WANT TO KNOW HOW WE CAN GET AN AIRTIME VENDING MACHINE SO AS TO SELL DIRECTLY TO OUR CUSTOMERS AUTONOMUSLY. YOUR QUICK RESPONSE WILL BE APPRECIATED
  • 19. olubukola adetayo said on 1/17/2014 1:44:54 PM
    hello. I reside in port Harcourt. pls is it possible to buy drink, snack, gum, credit e.t.c machine and have it brought down. tnx
  • 20. thatayaone moagi said on 1/21/2014 3:18:49 PM
    hi am interested in acquiring vending machine for soft drinks I stay in Botswana Gaborone so where can I get it here
  • 21. Mosala said on 11/19/2014 2:25:56 AM
    Good day, I would like to buy a snacks Vending machine. Where can I get it and how much do they go for? Thank You in Advance.
  • 22. Chika Uke said on 12/12/2014 5:47:16 PM
    Hello,good day. I have an interest in running a vending business for snacks and drinks. My location is Abuja, Nigeria. Have a couple of targets. I need to know the basic requirements to start up as well as the cost implication. Kindly enlighten me on these. Thank you
  • 23. Esther Olekwu said on 4/18/2015 3:53:54 PM
    I am interested in running a snack and soft drinks vending machine in Nigeria. I stay in Makurdi Benue State Nigeria. I need to know the cost implication ,the profit margin and how it works. Thank You
  • 24. Habib Alade said on 10/26/2015 9:37:20 AM
    Please Enlighten me more on where and how to buy and configure snacks, drinks, candy, gum, etc vending machine. I reside at Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.
  • 25. August N said on 11/3/2015 11:31:23 AM
    Hi Start UP Biz Hub Team, I have a great resource for your post here. It is the most up to date and relevant information on how to start a vending machine business that you can find. It could add a ton of value to visitors to your site wanting to find out how to start a vending machine business.