Starting a Farmer’s Market Business

Farmers' markets advocates believe the markets help farmers stay in business as well as preserve natural resources. Wholesale prices that farmers get for their produce are very low, often near the cost of production but farmers who sell direct to the public without going through a middle man get a better price.

Hence a farmers’ market business is a very attractive proposition.

It can be shown that the preservation of farmland is important for the health of the environment and water supply. Sustainable and managed farms conserve soil and clean water and provide a habitat for wildlife. Moreover, modern farmers' markets help maintain important social ties, linking rural and urban populations and even close neighbors in mutually rewarding exchange.

Farmers' markets are a traditional way of selling agricultural and home manufactured products. A weekly market day is a part of normal life in villages and town squares throughout the world. A good way for a traveler to sample local foods and learn about local culture is to attend market day, especially when it coincides with a festival. In several European countries, there exist street markets, as well as covered marketplaces, where farmers and purveyors sell.

In modern times, farmers’ markets are even starting to appear online, such as with the new farmer's market portal yourlocalfarmers.com!

Some markets are carefully managed, with strict rules for pricing, quality and vendor selection. Others are much more relaxed in their vendor criteria. While the usual emphasis is on locally-grown/produced food and crafts, some farmers markets allow co-ops and purveyors, or allow farmers to purchase some products to resell.

Some farmers' markets have wholesale operations, sometimes limited to specific days or hours. Farmers' markets also may supply buyers from produce stands, restaurants, and garden stores with fresh fruits and vegetables, plants, seedlings and nursery stock, honey, and other agricultural products. However, this is on the decline, in part due to the growth of chain stores.

Farmers markets are an integral part of the urban/farm linkage and have continued to rise in popularity, mostly due to the growing consumer interest in obtaining fresh products directly from the farm. Farmers markets allow consumers to have access to locally grown, farm fresh produce, enables farmers the opportunity to develop a personal relationship with their customers, and cultivate consumer loyalty with the farmers who grows the produce. Direct marketing of farm products through farmers markets continues to be an important sales outlet for agricultural producers nationwide.

Normally Farmers’ Markets facilitate the marketing of the following commodities:

• COTTON
  • DAIRY - marketing of milk and dairy products.
  • FRUIT AND VEGETABLE - the strategic marketing of fruit, vegetable, nuts and specialty items in domestic and international markets.
  • LIVESTOCK AND SEED - timely, high-quality, unbiased service that facilitates the orderly marketing and distribution of livestock products, while simultaneously fostering goodwill in the global marketplace.
  • POULTRY AND EGGS - the strategic marketing of poultry, shell eggs, and egg products in domestic and international markets through standardization, grading and certification services.
  • TOBACCO

• 1. appaso p patil said on 12/28/2009 9:10:51 AM
    Hello sir, I am Appaso patil from Belgaum. so i started new business in agri sector. so please give me proper guidance. belgaum, karnataka, india
  • 2. Vijay dodia said on 3/19/2010 7:56:03 AM
    Hello sir, i want to start a business at veraval in junagadh of gujrat from india. But i can't find out the manufacturing product so plz give me advise.
  • 3. Pintu zala said on 6/23/2010 9:16:41 AM
    Hell sir, i want to start this business at una in junagadh of gujarat from india but i dont know where from i find out its manufacturing product in area so plz let me assist and suggest
  • 4. Alfred Amadile said on 8/8/2011 9:23:07 AM
    I want to start my own Business in Agric Produces like:Maize Grain/Flour, Beans, Groundnut etc. I am in Uganda and i would to locate the business at boarder with Sudan(BiBia). Please help me develop good business plan. Thanks Alfred
  • 5. Emmanuel said on 8/27/2012 7:37:10 AM
    i am small scale farmer requiring funding for agriculture in Limpopo South Africa.
  • 6. Benedict Musumab said on 11/23/2012 7:44:49 AM
    I am a small farmer who has started up a local poultry project in Busia County-Kenya. I would like to venture mostly into supply of chicks, and especially the kenbrew for faster growth-reaching marketing weight earlier and therefore preferred so much by the local farmers. I therefore request for information on where i could get a grant to expand the business to meet the demand of the farmers in the region, especially for chicks
  • 7. Vincent Pearson said on 12/5/2012 11:15:07 AM
    I have since the age of six been gardening organic. I would like to start a small subsistence farm. On this farm I would like to train young or new to the field how to do this. I think 10 acres is more than enough. I would build housing that is sufficient for a few trainees. And their work on the farm would supply them with room and board. And any extra food produced over and above our needs would be donated to the needy. If you are interested in this project please contact me at the above e- mail thanks for your time in this matter.
  • 8. mesfin said on 12/28/2012 12:44:41 PM
    I want grant for my very small dairy farm found in Etiopia/East Africa/. like milk processing equipment, feed processing & technical support if possible. Ethiopia is on of the country with high animal resource. It have bright future in dairy farm in the future. You can also make investment in the sector.
  • 9. Grace Mulaliira said on 1/21/2013 10:23:59 AM
    Kampala,Uganda,need support-funding for a piggery project-already started
  • 10. herbert mckee said on 2/15/2013 1:42:40 PM
    i would like to start a small vegetable farming business. I was laid off after 35 years of same employment now i need a business to help living expenses. I only have 3 acres so far but i have found if planted right it will yield a great deal well enough to sell at farmers market . i need a tractor and a living space. there will also be enough to donate to needy. thank you for listening to me . this is very important to me and my family and needy . i hope you can help.
  • 11. raymond nwosu said on 3/5/2013 8:56:59 AM
    i am intending to upgrade my egg production farm but can not afford the needed amount of money. this is in the region of 6500usd. I am a nigerian. raymond
  • 12. franky said on 8/10/2013 3:31:06 AM
    Hello I am franky from vasai maharashtra india want to start freshwater fish farm I have less farm land n fund I want species which can be export pls help me
  • 13. CHRISTOPHER MBOWA WASSWA said on 8/19/2013 5:29:48 AM
    I would like to start my poultry and piggery projection Kampala, Luwero, Mpigi. I would like to venture mostly into supply of chicks, chickens, eggs,pork, and especially the kenbrew and other types for faster growth-reaching marketing weight earlier and therefore preferred so much by the local farmers. I therefore request for information on where i could get a grant to start the business to meet the demand of the farmers in the region, Sudan, Tanzania and Rwanda, especially for chicken and pork. My God bless you . From Chris
  • 14. Bensen wasen said on 10/16/2013 8:11:42 PM
    I am disable 28 yrs old man, have look after broiler chickens, cows and but went short for funds to extend my projects. seeking assistance, pls. Ben
  • 15. Soffy said on 12/11/2013 6:05:21 AM
    I want to start my own business of cows, goats and broiler chickens. I am in Tanzania. Please help me to develop business plan and grants to start up this project.
  • 16. Kenneth Rading said on 8/4/2014 2:58:07 PM
    I own a farm in the suburb of Kenya. I would like to expand my dairy farm to support my community with affordable fresh milk and educate the youth of the modern dairy farming. I need help to finish part of the sheds and purchase of farm equipment. Please advice on how to obtain a grant
  • 17. Walter said on 10/28/2014 5:14:54 PM
    I'm walter from Uganda, i would like to open up a smallholder piggery farm, and i have written my project proposal. I'm here requesting for assistance on how to get the funders' Website. Thank
  • 18. Jude Lambda said on 12/21/2014 11:55:17 AM
    Am a small scale farmer in Uganda I want to start a pig project in my rural area currently due to financial constraints I have. about 10 pigs. Please help me where can i get funding. I don't mind any kind of collaboration. Jude Lambda, +256758690223, +256772690221
  • 19. willy maseka said on 2/2/2015 1:11:03 PM
    I am a semi commercial farmer in Limpopo South Africa, farming with vegetables and life stock. It is difficult in our continent to get funding and support hence there is little achievement or successful farmers amongst us, how do we cross this bridge?
  • 20. Guddu said on 2/9/2015 2:17:49 PM
    Hello sir, I am belongs to chandauli near banaras uttar pardesh. i want to start with paddy wheat gram etc. give me advise about that
  • 21. Shadrak Kyobe said on 9/27/2015 5:02:19 AM
    We are based in Mukono, Uganda East Africa.And our project is Bee keeping. we empower rural vulnerable people with knowledge and skills in beekeeping, as a way of addressing rural poverty and general health issues and to provide them with a set of basic tools and support to help them get off the poverty trap.So you can join us also you can connect us to donors, volunteers and so like minded people.
  • 22. jackson Okwera said on 6/27/2016 11:29:13 AM
    We are based in northern Uganda in district of Oyam district, Uganda East Africa. And our project is citrus project. we empower rural vulnerable people with knowledge and skills in planting citrus , as a way of addressing rural poverty and general health issues and to provide them with a set of basic tools and support to help them get off the poverty trap. So you can join us also you can connect us to donors, volunteers and so like minded people .