Reebok to Pay $25M over ‘false’ Toning Shoe Claims
US regulators on Wednesday said Reebok International Ltd, a unit of Adidas Ag, has agreed to pay $25-million penalty for unsupported and false claims with its RunTone and EasyTone, which was said to provide extra muscle strength.
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has slapped a $25-million penalty to Reebok International Ltd for unsupported and false claims that its toning shoes can provide extra muscle strength.
David Vladeck, FTC consumer protection bureau chief, said the Reebok has falsely claimed in its advertising campaigns that its RunTone and EasyTone shoes can strengthen and tone the users’ leg and buttock muscles than other regular cross-trainers and fitness shoes.
“We want advertisers to understand their responsibility to ensure customers that their claims for fitness gears should be supported by sound science,” Vladeck said.
In 2009, Reebok has started with its advertising campaign, making claims over the benefits the RunTone and EasyTone shoes can give its users and even provided distorted statistics on the use of the toning gears.
Reebok, a unit of Adidas AG, even released an advertisement that its EasyTone shoes, just by walking, are proven to strengthen hamstrings and calves by 11 percent, and reshape muscles in the butt area by up to 28 percent.
Meanwhile, the FTC said that the P25-million penalty will go to consumer refunds, which will be made available through the regulatory body or a court-approved class action lawsuit.
- Franchise Opportunities
- Small Manufacturing Business
- Wholesale Business Opportunities
- Farming Business Ideas
- Unique Business Opportunities
- Shop Business Ideas
- Small Business Opportunities
- Startup Company Ideas
- Home Based Business Opportunity
- Rural Business Opportunities
- Ideas for Small Business
- Starting Rental Business
- Tips for Buying and Selling
- Free Business Ideas
- Internet Business Ideas
- Service Business Ideas
- Retail Store Ideas
- Store Business Opportunities
- Entrepreneur Business Idea
- Financing a Small Business
- Small Business Articles
- Advice for Small Business
- Restaurant Business Opportunities
- Professional Career Opportunities
- Repair Business Opportunity
- Business Marketing and Advertising
- Instructor Guides
- Business Insurance Information
- Business News