How to Start Your Own Casting Director Business

Perhaps you have a passion for acting; you also wish to become a casting director and land actors and actresses in suitable roles. Get some tips to become a casting director through this article.

You will find this a good business guide and teacher that will steer you along the way to become a casting director.

Being a casting director is a fun, exciting yet challenging job. Imagine having to choose between lots of candidates for certain roles, and having to handle other tasks aside from that. What does it take to become a successful casting director?

The Traits of a Good Casting Director

Anyone can become a casting director. However, in order to be successful, you need to cultivate a few traits that will no doubt be useful in your upcoming career. These traits include:

• Effective communication with the actor
  • Openness to meeting other people
  • Effectiveness behind the scenes
  • Ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
  • Loves acting with equal passion
  • Quick to learn new things
  • Optimism

A good casting director should also have knowledge about the rudiments of acting in order to know which auditioning actor should be cast for the role. Being a casting director, you should be able to see if the actor is fit for the role he is auditioning for, or if he is suitable for something else in the cast. The only way to know this is to have a little background in acting, and how actors work.

Finally, a good casting director is passionate about his work. That’s the secret to being successful, and that is to love your work.

Start Small and Go Up the Ladder

Casting directorship is just like a few types of work in this world, and that it starts with internship. Before you can become a casting director, you will need to become an assistant to a casting director. This is for you to become knowledgeable about the type of work you are getting yourself into, since you will be exposed and educated about the tricks of the trade of being a casting director. Most internship pay only a small amount for your effort, but the amount of education that you receive from the job far outweighs the compensation.

After passing an internship, you can then become an associate casting director. In this role, you will act like a minor casting director and handle jobs under the supervision of the casting director. After a while, you would have gained enough experience to become a full casting director.

Build Up a Network of Contacts

Although casting directorship is a competitive business, it doesn’t mean you don’t have to collaborate with other casting directors. Collaboration and communication with your fellow casting directors will help you build a network of contacts, which will make referrals for your sake when the time comes.

• 1. Chastity Thomas said on 7/22/2009 7:23:32 AM
    I'm interested in starting a casting agency. I would like to know is there anymore information I could use to get this start or lead me in the right direction. Info on how to find talent or how to budget when first starting out.
  • 2. Joe Fanesi said on 8/4/2009 12:35:28 AM
    Hello, To Whom it may concern, I have only 2 questions and if you can help i would appreciate it very much.
    Question 1: Where is a good source to find pre-production deals?
    Question 2: How can we start a bid with the production team to solidify a deal?
  • 3. Mncedisi said on 8/28/2009 1:57:07 PM
    Hi, I work for a production company in wardrobe, and I suddenly developed an interest in starting my own casting and modeling agency, how do I go about starting it. Thank you, Mncedisi Mbombo
  • 4. Jess said on 9/19/2009 5:09:53 PM
    are you in NYC contact me
  • 5. Jess said on 9/19/2009 5:10:15 PM
    jad1@optonline.net contact me
  • 6. Christine Kincey  said on 10/20/2009 5:26:56 PM
    Hi, I work for my own video production company in Riverside County California, and I suddenly developed an interest in starting my own casting and modeling agency, how do I go about starting it. Thank you, Christine Kincey
  • 7. Eric Coogan said on 10/31/2009 11:36:22 PM
    Where is a good place to find pre production films etc so I can bid. thanks
  • 8. Shannon Wilks said on 12/28/2009 7:24:59 PM
    Hello!. I've recently started my own casting company (IndiePop Casting) here in Philadelphia which specializes in meeting the needs of the independent filmmaker. I too would like some additional info on a good source for bidding on pre-production deals. Thanks in advance!
  • 9. Hayley said on 7/7/2010 12:10:33 PM
    Hello I live in the uk and would like some info and help on how to start a casting & extra agency. Please help Hayleykennett@gmail.com
  • 10. RHODYWOOD said on 7/20/2010 8:02:34 PM
    I own a small coffee house in Providence, RI www.BrooklynCoffeeTeahouse.com and also host casting calls above my coffee house to many filmmakers. I am also interested in becoming a Casting Call Agent. Tony
  • 11. Lindi said on 1/10/2011 4:05:48 AM
    Hi, I am a photographer, but would like to start a casting company, where do i start, and get a license. I live in Parow, Cape Town. Thanking you. Lindi
  • 12. victor said on 4/8/2011 2:52:48 AM
    i'm located in westdene, i want to know how i can start a casting agency, where should i go to or the administrative papers where can i get them.
  • 13. LV said on 6/13/2011 7:34:11 PM
    Hi, I'm interested in starting my own casting agency. I have no prior experience but I'm passionate about acting. I need more information on this so can someone please email me full info. Thank you (Bloemfontein)
  • 14. Jan Sam said on 7/6/2011 12:16:41 PM
    Hi, I would love to start my own casting and extra agency. I have experience of casting for short films and have also directed short films. I also know a lot of actors, if you have any more information how to start a business in this area I would be extremely grateful. I live in London, Uk.
  • 15. Cindy futshane said on 11/14/2011 9:20:26 AM
    Hi.. i would like to start an extras agency only offer background actors to the film productions. i have an experience in extras so i felt in love on doing that job please help me on how i can start this kind of business thanks. Western Cape, Cape town
  • 16. MICHELLE said on 1/19/2012 1:35:47 AM
    I JUST DID A WHOLE LOT OF SOUL SEARCHING BECAUSE BOTH MY HUSBAND AND I ARE UNEMPLOYED AND HE IS HOME RECOVERING FROM A MAJOR OPERATION WITH 2 MINOR ONES TO GO. WE BOTH HAVE NO BENEFITS. HE RUNS A SMALL FAMILY BUSINESS WHICH IS SUFFERING GREATLY NOW DUE TO HIM NOT BEING THERE. I HAVE NO PARTICULAR TALENT MYSELF , BUT FROM A YOUNG AGE HAVE BEEN GREATLY ATTRACTED TO SHOWS LIKE THE GONG SHOW IN THE 70'S, STAR SEARCH WITH ED MCMAN IN THE 80'S, OF COURSE ALL THE NEW ONES LIKE AMERICAN IDOL, AMERICA'S GOT TALENT, THE NEXT GREAT COMEDIAN, TODDLERS AND TIARAS, AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL, PROJECT RUNWAY, ETC... .I ALWAYS HAVE A KEEN SENSE OF WHO THE WINNER WILL BE AT THE GET GO! I EVEN PICK WHO WILL GO ON IN THE INDUSTRY EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T WIN . I LOVE THE FACT I ALWAYS ALMOST TO A TEE AGREE WITH THE JUDGES , ESPECIALLY SIMON COWELL ! ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I LIVE IN R.I. THANKS SO MUCH. :)
  • 17. Retshidisitswe said on 3/2/2012 6:44:16 AM
    I am so much involve with the media industry and i am planning to study towards media studies next semester. I would like to have my own casting agency for upcoming actors/artists but i need more info as to how to go about staring my own business. Your response will be greatly appreciated:) regards
  • 18. Biplob Sen said on 6/19/2012 5:54:28 AM
    I am actor, model, dancer and also knowledge about directing, script writer and casting director of 2 year. But i can't big stage to performance my original talent. I WANT TO SHOW MY TALENT IN THE WORLD. If u see my facebook profile : -biplobsen.sen@gmail.com. mo 7735180655 7602493649
  • 19. Rich said on 11/9/2012 7:51:54 AM
    I would like to start a casting agency here in South Africa..i need more info regarding -how do i get briefs. please assist
  • 20. Katz said on 11/20/2012 7:05:35 PM
    I have been in the audience business for awhile and would like to start my own audience casting company in Hollywood area... Any idea on how I can get into the production side of it to build a trustworhty relationship and get the shows that the need audience people for? Thanks! Your feedback would be deeply appreciated!
  • 21. Jeremy Axworthy said on 1/15/2013 6:54:25 AM
    I am interested in setting up a Casting Agency in the West of England. I worked as an actor/extra, producer and writer in both US and UK. I have a large network of actors who I have cast in various productions. I would like some direction in how I can build a business. I am located in Plymouth area on border of Devon and Cornwall. Thanks
  • 22. Ayanda said on 4/4/2013 5:14:21 AM
    Hi, I have a blog platform to promote models in SA, would like to build my contacts to overseas like Holiwood, LA can you help. Kind regards
  • 23. Thabile said on 4/12/2013 10:24:37 AM
    Hi , I am in Durban and I use to be a model and now I would like to start my own modelling / casting agency. I am passionate about grooming girls and boy with the looks and talent. How do I get briefs ???
  • 24. bevley said on 4/14/2013 9:33:03 AM
    I am located in pretoria centurion . I would like to start a casting agency company what must i do ?
  • 25. thembi said on 8/25/2013 6:06:18 AM
    Hi i am in jhb and i use to be extra to the soupies and now i would like to start my on talent casting agency, i have a lot of passion grooming another people and giving them a chance to show the talent, i would like to know how do i get a briefs please assist thanks.
  • 26. Yulenda sokhupe said on 9/5/2013 4:01:55 PM
    Am in north west and am with my guys we started our own casting agent but we dont hv access please help us achieve. From rustenburg
  • 27. juanita frans said on 11/12/2013 12:31:14 AM
    I am unemployed and would really like to start my own casting /talent/ agency, how do I go about. I am residing in Cape Town(Western cape). Thanking You
  • 28. siphamandla cele said on 11/18/2013 3:14:13 AM
    i'm interested on starting my own casting agency. i need an information on where to register my agency company and i also have my own theater production, now i'm thinking of establish more of new actors, actress n etc
  • 29. Class Maake said on 1/13/2014 7:28:42 AM
    Hi. I'm Class Maake from Johannesburg. I have a registered entertainment and now I am looking for anyone with the same interests to invest in my business as a partner. My contacts are +27 82 534 4205
  • 30. siya said on 9/26/2014 6:22:45 AM
    hi, i would like to know what is the requirements to start a casting a gency and where or how to go all out to market and find jobs for my extras. how to meet with clients, productions and producers. please help
  • 31. gabriel said on 11/4/2014 12:18:14 PM
    hi i'm gabriel, from capetown paarl, but currently in parow, i'm in the movie industry as extra n feature 1 time acting, but now i've grown interest in starting my own extra agency, so if anyone can help me plz ,i need registration form asap, my purpose is to reach out to the communities whereoff the agencies dont reach, so plz reach to me and i promise to reach to u. Contact: 0740245932/ gabrielmfredericks@gmail.com
  • 32. shandukani said on 11/11/2014 3:07:14 PM
    Hi am looking for agency that can help me to be an actor in joburg thank you.0711169535
  • 33. LISA said on 3/7/2015 1:51:32 AM
    HI THERE I NEED HELP OPENING CASTING AGENCY IN CAPE TOWN /NEED UK COMPANY TO ASSIST
  • 34. Rose said on 4/1/2015 9:55:00 AM
    how to market my self in the industry, i open an casting agency in bloemfontein.
  • 35. Lolo said on 7/9/2015 5:17:58 AM
    Hi I have recently started a casting agency in Johannesburg, South Africa.
  • 36. Deb S said on 8/20/2015 12:50:23 PM
    Hi, I am retired Navy but used to do plenty of acting as an extra in NYC when I was growing up in NYC in the late 60's/early 70's. The bug has bitten me again. but this time I would like to start a casting agency just for military veterans. I am located in Rhode Island and have many military veteran contacts throughout the US that are interested in acting. Is there a need for military veterans in the business?
  • 37. Noel said on 3/13/2016 2:30:40 PM
    Hi Lolo can you kindly give you contact.or contact me here noelemmachai@gmail.com
  • 38. Nini Mohasa said on 3/14/2016 11:01:05 AM
    write your comment with city, state and country.hi I'm also interested in starting my own casting extras agency,so please help me 4 the info 4rm Soweto diepkloof 0832473042
  • 39. Steven Crawford said on 7/15/2016 12:10:26 PM
    Hello, My name is Steve Crawford. I want to start a casting company in Los Angeles. I have some experience working from a company. Unfortunately it was short term position. I would like to gain more information about start up, permits, fees and how a casting company is paid for casting talent.