How to Start Mobile Notary Business

By definition a notary is an entity commissioned by the state to witness the signing of important documents. There are several reasons a notary client can’t or won’t travel to a notary’s office.

It maybe because of distance, time and maybe even health related. Choosing on looking at the glass half full instead of half empty, this now becomes a window for a business opportunity.

Going directly to clients to service them instead of them coming to you is not a bad way of marketing. This mobile notary business guide will help you establish your own notary business venture.

Here are sure steps to start your mobile notary business

Begin by preparing yourself

First apply for a commission. Visit the National Notary Association website and fill out the necessary documents. If you need further information, clarifications or instruction tips, consult with a business consultant. Second, gather your needed tools. Invest on notary stamps, a notary logbook, and probably a portable PC for your other recording activities. Third, prepare yourself to go around places. Allocate a budget for your traveling expenses. Invest on a couple of road maps and a few pairs of travel “ons”.

Know your rate

There are many ways to calculate and justify your rate. First, survey how much other mobile notary competitors in your area charge, and then set your fees near to what they charge. Second charging option you could do is simply have a standard fee plus extra traveling fee. Many mobile notaries prefer to charge this way since it’s easy to explain to clients and tally. Another way to charge clients is by setting fixed distance charges. This means your rates will differ on how far and where you traveled to accommodate the service. You could have a per zone charge. You can make a table to easily explain to your clients. Finally, you could also charge on an hourly rate or time spent fulfilling the service plus traveling. Clearly there are several ways to charge your client. Find a rate and a charging system that best suits you.

Make a list of potential clients

Grab a yellow pages book and jot down listing of potential clients. Do some cold calling and offer your services. Before calling, make a telephone script of what you want to say and practice a few times in front of a mirror. If you call 100 names, there’s bound to be at least 10 who will take on your offer.

Getting the word out

Promote yourself by first conducting yourself as a serious entrepreneur. This means becoming professional in your trade. Start with a sharp looking business card that tells about your services as well as your contact information. Give them away during social events. Better yet visit your local Chamber of Commerce and try networking your services with people in those circles. Also use print ads on the Sunday newspaper to get more people to notice you. Another way to attract client is to develop a website that notary clients can easily goggle.

Keep on keeping on

Keep your head up look for the big fish in the industry. Try targeting big clients with potential multiple notary needs like real estate brokers or try targeting areas like the city hall where there’s traffic of people with documents. Clearly starting a mobile notary business is easy but developing a client base will take time to develop.

• Starting a Notary Public Business
    A notary public business caters with certification and authentication of various documents. This kind is not for anyone especially if you are not a licensed notary public. Therefore, before engaging in such business makes sure that you have the license to perform the practice of notary public.
  • Steps for Becoming a Notary Agent
    Do you want to become a notary agent? You've come to the right place. You can use the instructions found in this article as a guide to achieving the career that you want.

• 1. shauntae said on 5/6/2009 11:57:18 AM
    Thank you for this wonderful information!
  • 2. Shenica said on 6/15/2009 1:25:03 PM
    Thank you so much for this information. you've given me a great place to start.
  • 3. Angel said on 10/29/2009 2:52:48 PM
    Thanks you so much for the information. You Be bless
  • 4. kathleen said on 2/12/2010 6:47:23 PM
    notary, mobile, binghamton, n.y. how much to charge? by millage? any info would help. thanks
  • 5. melva said on 9/16/2010 9:44:29 AM
    I live in Orlando area I am a public notary and will like to star as a mobile notary can you give me any leads of how can i start and how much i should charge thank you
  • 6. Patrick Cook said on 10/15/2010 9:27:36 AM
    Dumfreis, Virginia, 22025. I'm a Notaryand have been for a long time. I'm looking into starting a mobile notary business, and would like some ideas on how to get started.
  • 7. Patricia said on 3/8/2011 7:12:23 PM
    Excellent ideas!! Thank you! Definitely i will use them. Good luck for everybody.
  • 8. Sandra said on 4/3/2011 6:40:20 PM
    Sandra' Public Notary Service @ Fort Washington ,MD20744. I would like to Thank You for the information on starting Mobile Notary Service..Great suggestions and best of Luck to all... I also would like to add I am an Notary Public and will travel to you with an fee that is considered how far the travel and the time spent on the paper work that is being legalized... for service please call 240-273-5642 or visit my website @ www.Sandra's Notary PublicService@bbnow.org
  • 9. Leticia Cabutage said on 8/30/2011 4:48:09 PM
    Salinas, CA I.m a notary signing agent. I work with various Notary companies notorizing loan docs. My question i would like to know how to start my own business thru brokers or escrow companies.
  • 10. Rebecca said on 10/20/2011 6:22:22 PM
    I want to become a notary with bank as contract employee any ideas or information is welcome. Thanks
  • 11. Rita said on 3/16/2012 10:04:29 PM
    Norfolk,Virginia I am trying to find info on how to become a mobile notary for reverse morgtages. I currently have my notary license for the state of Virginia. Thanks for your help.
  • 12. mary said on 4/26/2012 4:07:47 PM
    Do I need to register my business as a mobile notary? Thank you.
  • 13. Beatriz Costa said on 4/30/2012 6:47:23 PM
    Union, NJ. I am a Certified Notary Public and I am looking for information how to register with Mortgage Companies to be able to do mortgage closings. Thanks
  • 14. Charlotte Lumpkin said on 5/5/2012 12:18:52 PM
    My location is Houston, Texas Harris County. Thank you for your advise. God Bless You
  • 15. Susan said on 6/26/2012 12:02:55 PM
    I am a Notary and live in Texas. Your comments are great ideas. However, I thought that Notary Fees were already set for particular types of notarizations. In your Notary Kits you get a list of those types and the amounts you are to charge. So, your income would actually be in what you charge for gas and mileage, right? Please clarify.
  • 16. FALLON said on 6/27/2012 9:35:21 AM
    HELLO I AM A MOTHER OF 4 AND WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP IN STARTING MY OWN BUSINESS FIRST I WANT TO START BY ASKING IS NOTARY PUBLIC DIFFERENT FROM A SIGNING AGENT? IF SO I LIVE IN NY HOW CAN I APPLY/GET LICENSE S IN BOTH OF THEM? ALSO WHAT TYPES OF COMPANIES/AGENCIES WOULD I CONTACT TO DELIVER THESE TYPES OF SERVICES AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR? THANK YOU VERY MUCH HOPE TO HEAR SUGGESTIONS.
  • 17. Ruth B. said on 8/29/2012 4:33:22 AM
    There are several other things you may do as a Mobile Notary and also depending on which state you live in.
    1. BECOME A CERTIFIED NOTARY SIGNING AGENT: Goto The National Notary Association www.nationalnotary.org, Notary2Pro www.notary2pro.com. Once you have passed the exams and are certified, the NNA will promote you on their signing agent site and you will receive phone calls.
    2. If you are in Florida, you may supplement your Notary Public income by conducting wedding ceremonies. When I lived in Florida, this additional service brought in a lot of monthly income. I believe there are only three states that allow a notary public to conduct wedding ceremonies. Provide PERSONAL services like wedding day keepsakes, photography, certificate of marriage, and other services and you will soon have a following. Email me, if you are interested in this and I will tell you exactly what I used to do.
    3. You can also become a CERTIFIED PROCESS SERVER. Google process server and see where the training classes are being held. It only takes one class to become certified and I believe, $100. The class SHOULD include ways to market your new skill and how to promote your new skill.
    4. You can also do inspections. Look into NCCI. www.ncci.com
    5. Promote yourself on Google! You will get calls here too.
  • 18. desiree duran said on 2/13/2013 2:24:31 PM
    Las Vegas mobile notary services 702-445-8749
  • 19. J. D. Thomas said on 3/11/2013 3:11:38 PM
    I am a current notary in Florida, and would like information on how to become a closing notary for major mortgage companies in N.W. Florida
  • 20. KD Donovan said on 4/16/2013 1:26:30 PM
    I am looking to start doing this business in south NJ. I heard that there is a one day class that you can take to get all the information you need plus a 3 hour supplement class to further your knowledge and business. Any information you can give me about this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • 21. TDDYER said on 5/29/2013 1:51:37 PM
    I am looking for starting up a mobile notary service in the New York, probably in the Queens county. Where would I get E&O insurance? Any organizations or association to join to be abreast of changes or laws concerning Notary Public duties and responsibilities.
  • 22. Parks Notary Services said on 6/6/2013 9:54:52 AM
    Mobile Notary Public in the Metro Washington, DC area. Bonded and insured! (202) 607-8488.
  • 23. Curtis Townsend said on 7/16/2013 3:54:10 PM
    Mobile Notary available. I can be reached at 202-327-4458(after 5 PM)
  • 24. Laura Quijandria said on 11/14/2013 6:31:23 AM
    Mobile Notary available in Bergen and Hudson county. Reach me at 201 456-8292...
  • 25. Kiya Davis said on 5/13/2014 11:46:33 PM
    Experienced notary for years. 24 hour Mobile service with reasonable fees. I am bonded and Insured. Serving Arlington, TX and the entire DFW area. I can be reached at KiyaDavis.Notary@gmail.com.
  • 26. Selven said on 6/13/2014 7:35:08 AM
    Glade to hear from you all. i am advocate v.selven Bsc .BL, from coimbatore India. i am doing all type of documentation throughout India with nominal fee. contact through 9894067363 or mail me in v.selvenadvo@gmail.com Thank you friends
  • 27. diana perez said on 6/18/2014 11:21:33 AM
    I'm a resident of Dade County, Florida. I'm a Notary and I will like to get some information how to promote my business with wedding ceremonies. I was reading #17 and Ruth B.will give information to those inquiring. I will be getting training for a Signing Agent on June 28-2014. I Thank you in advance for your information. You have a great day! Diana Perez, diana.perez@comcast.net
  • 28. Maggie Nguyen said on 8/4/2014 11:09:05 PM
    I want to open a Driving school in louisian. What do I need to do to have a license of instructor in driving courses. can you help me
  • 29. Benita Elcock said on 2/26/2015 2:48:16 PM
    I am a New Notary in the District of Columbia and would like to start a mobile notary as well any suggestions would help.
  • 30. Terrence M Darkis said on 4/8/2015 5:06:55 PM
    I am in Denton County (North Dallas,TX) area and am just starting my mobile notary/signing agent business. I'm already certified but am looking to find someone in my area to mentor or even partner up with me. If interested email me, Tmarcd@gmail.com Thank you for your time.
  • 31. Cassius said on 6/19/2015 5:31:24 PM
    Jacksonville, Florida I would like info concerning article #17 Ruth B. With doing Wedding ceremonies and becoming a signing agent
  • 32. Lovita said on 9/25/2015 12:42:50 PM
    Hello I am retiring soon and I would like a home based business that I continue to earn income.I want to start a mobile notary business.I live in Miami,Florida and I would appreciate any hello I can get on advertising and getting customers.Thank you.
  • 33. Lakeisha Green said on 8/11/2016 2:58:15 PM
    I am a new notary in Texas I am trying to start up my mobile business. I have my cards but because it is so many notaries in Houston its a competition.