How to Become a Tax Preparer in California
As the name implies, the main responsibility of tax preparer in California is to prepare and to file income tax returns. This is specifically for individuals as well as small businesses that need to annually file their taxes.
These individuals are not certified public accountants. They have a fewer responsibilities when you compared them to accountants.
They can’t solely represent a client before IRS when it comes to investigation of taxes. They would need to pass a test called IRS-sponsored Special Enrollment Examination. If you want to become a tax preparer in California, take note that it is a seasonal job. It can also be considered as a part time job. The work would only be January to April. These months are what you call the tax seasons. If you want to be a tax preparer in California, you would need to some guidelines that would help you. Becoming successful in tax preparer career is easy if you keep in mind certain tips in being one.
- The first thing that you need to do is to build an educational base. If you want to be a tax preparer, you would need to attain a high school diploma or you would need to pass the GED exam. You would also need to have taken courses in mathematics and computer. There are also some people who are serious about it and courses in accounting.
- The second step is to enroll in tax preparation training. It would be best if you attend a tax preparation school. It can prepare to become a tax prepare. The purpose of this is to learn and to master federal, state and local tax laws. Aside from community colleges and vocational schools, there are tax service franchises that offer training in Tax preparation. There are programs that are offered tax preparation training. The internet is also a good place to find tax preparation courses.
- The third step is to find a company that you would work for. Working for a company could be helpful especially if you are a beginner. You can learn the ins and outs of the business. You could also learn the ropes of the whole process during your hands on experience. If you have a capital and the courage, you might choose to open your own tax service operation.
- The next and most important step is to obtain license. Depending on the state, there is need for a license if you want to practice tax preparation. The regulations and laws vary in whatever state you are in. There are some that requires candidate to pass the exam or even provide proof of tax preparation training.
- Lastly it is important to be updated when it comes to tax law. As a tax preparer there is a need to have knowledge about tax laws that change constantly. There is a need to attend seminars regarding tax preparation. You might also continue to take courses that are offered yearly by The National Association of Tax Practitioners.