Growing Jackfruit for Money
Jackfruit is a native fruit from the Western portion of India. It is broadly cultivated all over the tropical valley of the hemisphere. This is one of the most significant fruit crop in Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Burma and Philippines.
This fruit is not just known for its sweet and juicy taste, it is also popular for various uses. Growing jackfruit is a great opportunity to earn money.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is an oval-shaped fruit, usually large and with spines all over it. This fruit usually grows in areas with tropical climates like in Asia and some portions of Americas such as San Diego and Florida. It is also considered as one of the largest fruits in the planet. Even though, the smell of the fruit is not as pleasing as other fruits when already ripe, it has a lot of benefits and uses. They are ideal in desserts as well as curries. In Bangladesh, it is their national fruit.
Economic Use of Jackfruit
- The tree of jackfruit can also be used as a reforestation, intercropping, agro-forestry and a great shade during sunny weather.
- The fruit of jackfruit is not eaten when ripe, its young fruit is also used as veggies and the fruit can be use for making ice cream, preserves and sweets. The ingredients are also use for salad and even as alcoholic beverage after it is distilled or fermented.
- The seeds jackfruit can be roasted or boiled and it is very abundant in starch.
- Jackfruit’s rags are also rich in pectin very nice for making a jelly.
- The wood of this fruit can also be used in making musical instruments\, building materials, furniture and timber.
- In India, the leaves of the jackfruit are sewn to make plates as well as other kinds of containers and even fodder.
- The bark of a jackfruit is also rich in white latex, which is ideal for pasting damage chinaware or to trap birds and caulking boats.
- When you boil the sawdust or wood, it will produce a yellow dye, ideal for coloring garments.
As one of the fruit with a lot of uses like the coconut, it is expected that the market of jackfruit will increase in the next decades, so if it is your hobby to plant fruit bearing trees, it is an ideal option also for you to earn cash on it.
Site Requirement of Jackfruit
This fruit thrives well in tropical climates like in Southeast Asia and other portions of America. The best thing about jackfruit is it can grow in any kind of soil and it prefers well-drained, clay or sandy soils. This fruit cannot tolerate a soil with poor drainage. Jackfruit is usually propagated in various ways such as seeds, inarching, budding, grafting and marketing.