Business Ideas for College Students

Going to college is one of the highlights in a young person’s life. It is the stage when the student embarks on higher educational challenges to equip him for his future career and endeavors. However, having a college or university education could be very financially demanding for students.

In the United States, around 70 percent of college students or aspiring ones lack the means to pay for tuition fees and are relying on student loans and scholarships – from the university, the government or private lender – to finish their studies.

However, the onset of financial crisis in the U.S. and worldwide adversely affected the schooling of a number of students. Some entities from which students get their funds have closed down leaving the students with nothing to pay for their education and their living expenses – rent or board, food, clothing, transportation and other expenses. Total costs for college education is approximately $10,000 per year for the first two years and approximately $12,000 per year for the next two years totaling approximately $44,000. Moreover, states are cutting educational funds driving tuition fees up (around 14 percent for public schools and 6 percent for private schools from 2002 to 2004).

The need to get a college education and the rising costs associated with it compel students to look for ways to earn while studying. Working part-time, aside from scholarship, is the best way to counter the harsh climate of college. But getting a part-time job is not very easy because there are limited slots, companies are freezing employment to cut costs not to mention the difficulty in balancing work and studies. And yet, students continue to look for ways to earn and finish college not minding the hard work, challenges and hardships it entails.

It is in this connection that we are publishing 13 articles that are doable, feasible and profitable to help students earn their way through college. These business ideas are easy to operate, fast to put up, and require minimum capitalization. We strongly encourage young individuals specifically college students aspiring to become young entrepreneurs to read our articles on how to start their own businesses on grocery delivery service, mobile canteen (burger, sandwich, sodas, snacks and favorite foods), mobile "essentials" store, laundry pick-up/delivery service, shipping/packing service, “dorm stuff" rentals/sales/pawn/re-sales, student van shuttle service, party-time "gypsy taxi" service, bicycle/moped/scooter service & repair, "finder" of stuff for students, video and game rentals/sales/exchange, low-cost cars/bikes/mopeds/scooters (buy/sell/rent) for campus kids, and paper re-writing/editing service. We are confident that these articles will encourage students to engage in business helping them become self-sufficient and financially able to finish college and reach their dreams in life.

• 1. josh p. said on 3/21/2009 9:53:37 AM
    personally, i think that due to current recession, scrap metal is one of the best bet.
  • 2. Raj Mourya said on 5/20/2009 1:27:53 AM
    A technical student can make major or minor projects. this requires more effort than money, can fetch a handful money on retailing.
  • 3. naresh said on 8/13/2009 7:54:56 AM
    hi, presently i am pursuing my MBA 3rd semester, i want to start a business which has full demand in market.
  • 4. parbati gupta said on 11/13/2009 5:24:18 AM
    hi....i am doing BBA from SMU, i want to do business but have no idea. please help
  • 5. Sri said on 11/19/2009 1:28:03 AM
    Hi, I would like to do a innovative business, in the area of exporting and importing. now I am in chennai, Tamilnadu, India....
  • 6. sarada prasad said on 3/4/2010 1:26:38 AM
    Hi, I would like to do a innovative business, in the area of exporting and importing. now I am in PARADEEP PORT & BHUBANESWAR, ORISSA, India. BUT ANY BUSINESS WHAT EVER RUNNING AT ORISSA. I HAVE GOOD Contact & MARKET ALL OVER ORISSA. PLZ INFORM ME.. MY EMAIL ID. saradaprasad_abc@rediffmail.com / amulyabharat_enterprises@rediffmail.com..
  • 7. zwane sthembile said on 4/14/2010 3:35:28 PM
    I would like to start a party snacks business. part time. I am a fourth year Bachelor of Commerce student in the University of Swaziland.
  • 8. rahul said on 4/23/2010 9:23:23 AM
    i want to start a tea processing business. please give me knowledge
  • 9. rahul said on 4/23/2010 9:26:04 AM
    i want to start food processing business within 2 lacks rs. please tell us a suitable business
  • 10. lokesh said on 6/6/2010 9:23:48 AM
    hi.... i am doing my b.com(corporat. secrti.) in chennai final year i would like to start a company in college please help me give me some ideas to start... it pleas
  • 11. Keletso Ogaketse said on 10/22/2010 7:52:05 AM
    Hi, i would like to own my own small business, but i have no idea what would work. I am a BBA Marketing student, first year, at the University of Botswana.
  • 12. Hariprasad.b.k said on 2/11/2011 5:52:42 AM
    hi, i am a civil student of vivekananda college puttur, i would like to do part time business,give me some ideas to start.....
  • 13. Cas said on 10/24/2011 8:59:36 AM
    Hi,am a 2nd year computer science student in a private school in Nigeria and I would like to start a small business within the campus as it is against the rules to leave the school...pls give me ideas
  • 14. manjunath reddy said on 2/22/2012 3:25:38 AM
    hi, i'm final year engineering student(ECE), i'm very much interested in starting business like small scale factory within 5 Lacks and also taking dealership in any field, can u please suggest some business based on my interest....
  • 15. Joe said on 3/9/2012 11:23:37 PM
    Hi we are 20 young ladies currently studying Design in a college in Oman, we would like to start a business of our own this year, and to make it a successful cooperative business by the time we finish our graduation in 2015.
  • 16. MOHD ARISH said on 3/14/2012 8:00:02 AM
    hello... i have done MBA and want to start my own business with Rs. 100000...in my own city...which has population near about 1 lack - 2lack.. So please tell me any business which can be suitable for me.
  • 17. Roohi said on 3/31/2012 7:54:51 AM
    hi i am a dental student studying 3rd year.But i need money for my studies so i want to do business in Chennai.I dont have that much money to invest also.Suggest me some good business to help me in education.
  • 18. Mukesh Kumar said on 4/22/2012 1:54:57 PM
    hi....i am doing MBA in marketing from RTU, i want to do business but have no idea. So please tell me any business which can be suitable for me. please help
  • 19. Kamala kannan said on 8/25/2012 6:05:48 AM
    Hi, i did b.tech, but i don't interest to work others. I'll interest to start business in my village. so give me any idea to start new business in 2 lacks
  • 20. Kavin raj said on 8/28/2012 9:57:46 AM
    Hi, I am pursuing My m.b.a in coimbatore, tn, india. i am willing to start a business to earn for my own needs and some social activities . so pls give suggestion for it with lowest investment as possible
  • 21. faisal areacode said on 9/23/2012 7:06:24 AM
    i am 2nd year engineering student in india kerala state wayanad district. i want to start a business to make money. i like to start selling sollar products in wayanad with help of the company
  • 22. akshay said on 10/23/2012 3:12:03 PM
    I am a bba student 1 year i want a guidance that how i work or choose the courses or collages .... N i want to do business of import export if any one is interested den pls help me
  • 23. surbhi said on 11/17/2012 11:13:43 AM
    i am a 3rd year b.tech student. i want to start a small scale dairy industry in bihar. kindly guide me for this. how can i achieve this??
  • 24. STEPHEN NDEZU said on 11/24/2012 3:26:28 PM
    am a second year pursuing agriculture economics and agribusiness at sokoine university of agriculture in Tanzania, am planning to establish my own mushroom farming unit after may graduation please guide me what to consider actually.
  • 25. kuldeep sharma said on 1/27/2013 11:15:28 PM
    i am an it eng. and i want some idea for starting a company based on website design ,pls give me home process and solution
  • 26. Geethu jaganadh said on 1/29/2013 11:17:20 PM
    I am a 3rd semster MBA(HR) student. i would like to do part time business with limited capital ,give me some ideas to start small scale business in kerala, pandalam, pathanamthitta district.
  • 27. sshakar said on 2/26/2013 8:52:52 AM
    Hi i am working in a private company as well as started doing part time business with the network marketing. Really its a great business opportunity.Really If you are interested, Please let me know so i will show the path. Thanks ss.hakar2013@gmail.com
  • 28. Tamilselvan said on 2/27/2013 10:43:12 AM
    hi guys..... now am doing BBM give some idea to start better business and its should not effect my studies... am waiting for yr ideas
  • 29. Gaurav garg said on 7/29/2013 4:19:40 AM
    I have done bba this year and i want to do any business please suggest me the business which can i do...
  • 30. Rahul said on 2/17/2014 1:36:23 PM
    If any one interested in selling onions in their respected location contact me I can supply good quality onion which you can market easily and grow business in any folds Contact 09823022209. Nasik India
  • 31. TAS said on 4/23/2014 7:37:25 AM
    Hello, We are a education Institute in New Delhi and would like to seek agents for student recruitment worldwide for the courses that we offer i.e from regular Post Graduate MBA'S to language and soft skill development courses. We offer excellent remuneration against your services for further details contact for International students we are recognized and registered by FFRO (Government of India). admin@tasgroup.in
  • 32. sumaiyya said on 6/9/2014 6:49:58 AM
    i am student and in need of work at home at cheap prices. Any work related which can be done easily at home ..contact me at sum_Friendz@yahoo.com
  • 33. shrikant waghmare said on 6/12/2014 6:24:25 AM
    i have completed my BBA and i want to start my won business within 3 lakh please help me to start a business
  • 34. Bhagyashree said on 7/19/2014 11:31:48 AM
    hi, i am doing final year in electronics and communication engineering .i want to start any business by investing amount within 2 lakhs. so please help me
  • 35. lillypriyanga said on 9/2/2014 3:53:46 AM
    Am doing b.com ism final year I want to do part time business with no investment give some idea please
  • 36. Dhananjaya Mallick said on 9/9/2014 4:40:47 AM
    Hi, I m a production in-charge and bushiness developer also, but I m a STUDENT . I want to know how can doing better of now performance , how can I do well give me some idea plz.
  • 37. Dilkush said on 11/12/2014 4:20:51 AM
    Am doing b.com second year from university of calicut. i want to do part time business with no investment give some idea please
  • 38. rajaraman said on 11/22/2014 3:04:33 AM
    hi, we are manufacturing company of servo stabilizers, inverters, ups. if anyone interested in marketing or dealership can contact me on below email id rajaramanece1991@gmail.com
  • 39. Tony anthony said on 4/8/2015 3:42:46 AM
    I am tony studying NSS college cherthala and i am going to be complete my degree this month . I want to start a plane plate making company. But i haven't finance support it. It's a ecofriendly project. We can control the use of plastic. How can government grant for start my company. I want to start it kerala, cherthala Alappuzha district .
  • 40. neha bisht said on 4/19/2015 5:38:46 AM
    i want to start a business with min capital. i am pursuing mba
  • 41. Owethu Hlanze said on 11/12/2015 10:24:39 AM
    To the person concerned. I am a student at Nkangala TVET Collage, i would love to start a cotton farming business but i have an idea of how to start i also have the land to start the farming, but don't have capital to start with. The place is in Swaziland
  • 42. shivam agrawal said on 11/2/2016 11:30:48 PM
    Hi i am persuing BBA 5SEM. I Want to start a business but i have no idea please help me